Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    no problem bro, i'm glad you understand and we have come to an agreement. I'm sorry if I seemed condescending, it was not my intent
    Ya we are definitley on the same terms now that I understand where your coming from. Thanks a
    NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• crou, I notice you have earl doing your prep and you are asking both me and jeff questions regarding your final week. In the future I really really suggest you listen to just one source you trust. IMO trying to integrate multiple sources is a really bad idea. There are different ways to skin a cat, but if you play the mix and match games it can turn out bad.
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Quelly View Post
        totally understandable, and I hope you know I am one of the thousands who had great success with your plan...if one has the determination its excellent, I was very pleased coming in as one of the leanest competitors in both a tested local show and a NPC national qualifier for my first go(now I just need to actually build something worthy of cutting up!)....ok now new topic new direction

Since the palumbo layne debates I've been looking at both your guys' diet plans and nutritional styles and comparing contrasting etc....and I can see merit to both contest prep plans, and they both are well thought out...but in terms of offseason diets I am curious on your thoughts since I am only familiar with your contest prep techniques...and to be clear I am not looking for an individualized plan and I certainly hope this isnt info that youve put out there before...I am just looking for your thoughts on Palumbo's off season methods.

Palumbo advocates a 1.25-1.5g/lb protein, 1-1.5g/lb cho, and .75g/lb fat diet with an emphasis on healthy fats and quality protein for an offseason growth phase with minimal fat gains, also keeping the majority of carbs around the workout...what do you think of this? If still in a sufficient caloric surplus, and getting enough cho to fuel workouts and replenish glycogen stores, is there any downside to keeping cho this low on a bulk, and why?
        just wanted to repost this question since it kind of got lost in the last flurry of posts
        Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
        http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Quelly View Post
          just wanted to repost this question since it kind of got lost in the last flurry of posts
          I'm curious to hear Layne's thoughts on that question too

Comment

• bump on the question above Layne, quite interested to hear what you have to say!

Comment

• it really depends on a lot of factors. I don't think there is 'one diet' for anyone.' for example, I think your first priority is protein; 1g/lb-1.3 g/lb should work fine... for younger more insulin sensitive people choose the lower end; for older less insulin sensetive choose the higher range. Then I would look at how many calories you need to gain weight at the appropriate rate and fill in with carbs/fat. Again for younger, more insulin sensitive people I would keep fat lower and keep carbs higher as carbs will actually have an anabolic effect in younger (<18) people. For people aged 20-40; I think you can fill it in more liberally in terms of putting in how much fat/carbs you want so long as you hit your calorie goals. for people older than that I would go with more fat/protein & less carbs.

Let's be clear on a few things as well. I don't like a LOT of fat while bulking as regardless of carbs intake if you have calories high enough you are going to store fat and regardless of what some people say, fat does NOT need insulin to be stored in adipose tissue; it has carrier proteins that are insulin independant that can bring it in just fine. Also, fat is more satisfying on a PER GRAM basis. HOWEVER, fat also has over 2x the caloric density of carbs and if you break satiety down to a PER CALORIE, what you find is carbs are actually MORE SATISFYING per calorie than fat. Think about it. 180 calories from peanut butter is only 2 tablespoons (32g weight) of peanut butter, whereas if you look at 180 calories from rice, that's over a cup of cooked rice (over 100g cooked, over 50g uncooked).

People don't think about these things in the proper context many times.

-Layne
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                it really depends on a lot of factors. I don't think there is 'one diet' for anyone.' for example, I think your first priority is protein; 1g/lb-1.3 g/lb should work fine... for younger more insulin sensitive people choose the lower end; for older less insulin sensetive choose the higher range. Then I would look at how many calories you need to gain weight at the appropriate rate and fill in with carbs/fat. Again for younger, more insulin sensitive people I would keep fat lower and keep carbs higher as carbs will actually have an anabolic effect in younger (<18) people. For people aged 20-40; I think you can fill it in more liberally in terms of putting in how much fat/carbs you want so long as you hit your calorie goals. for people older than that I would go with more fat/protein & less carbs.

Let's be clear on a few things as well. I don't like a LOT of fat while bulking as regardless of carbs intake if you have calories high enough you are going to store fat and regardless of what some people say, fat does NOT need insulin to be stored in adipose tissue; it has carrier proteins that are insulin independant that can bring it in just fine. Also, fat is more satisfying on a PER GRAM basis. HOWEVER, fat also has over 2x the caloric density of carbs and if you break satiety down to a PER CALORIE, what you find is carbs are actually MORE SATISFYING per calorie than fat. Think about it. 180 calories from peanut butter is only 2 tablespoons (32g weight) of peanut butter, whereas if you look at 180 calories from rice, that's over a cup of cooked rice (over 100g cooked, over 50g uncooked).

People don't think about these things in the proper context many times.

-Layne
                Layne, besides the insulin sensitivity, age and satisfaction per gram factor, do you think adjusting carbs intake in regards to the volume one's training would be wise?
                I mean, obviously you need more carbs when performing Arnold's routines, than for example a DC two day split.
                And if this statement comes out to be relevant, what would you in this case recommend in terms of macros breakdown for low volume trainers with average/low insulin sensitivity?

Also one quick general health related Q:
                I consume a lot of eggs, especially the whites, first because I like them but also cause they're cheap. And I know why the cheap ones are cheap; mass production of eggs is done in horrendous conditions, and the animals producing those eggs are totally debilitated. So do you know how much their condition affects the quality of the eggs?
                And are there any theories (I'm just making an hypothesis here, and maybe splitting already splitted hairs, lol) that show that the toxins/anti-biotics/etc... are found more in the yolks, or more in the whites or equally dispersed?

I know I'm a general pain in the a**, but thanks. ;-)

Paul.

PS: update
                If you remember I asked you about overcoming a diet plateau (too much cardio too soon --> snail metabolism). So I used your advice and also took things from a book which I think can be a good read for those concerned with metabolism and hormonal "reseting". It's "A Guide to Flexible Dieting" by Lyle McDonald. That guy is really tight about metabolism.
                So for the record, I did a two weeks diet break (coming from the Palumbo diet), progressively increasing carbs the first week (first fibrous and more starchy to the end) to the point of meeting a maintenance calorie intake (precisely slightly above maintenance, due to BMR decrease). I also progressively reduced cardio over the first week to reach a 30 minutes a day amount.
                Results are: I just gained a pound of fat during this two weeks break and feel A LOT better. The fat loss process is also relaunched big time.
                I said I'd keep you updated so here it is, and it also gives me the opportunity to genuinely thank you for the time you took to help me.
                Really appreciated that.

Comment

• Layne,

pre contest you advice cars in the moring before and after training. To keep insulin low and lipid levels high.

off season you like them spread out or also at this times ?

Comment

• hey layne how much do u drop calories on cardio only days when bulking?

Comment

• Layne those are very good posts. YOu're right...people do not think of gram for gram caloric value and satiety.
                      TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
                      www.fitcorps.net

Comment

• Hi Layne
                        Wanted to tell you that you have the best thread. I also study nutrition and plan on furthering my education on the matter after I become a registered dietician. I am 27 and have another year to go (started late). You keep me motivated when I get overwhelmed with my clients, work, training, and class. So thanks and keep up the amazing work.

Comment

• Layne, I'm reading this article...http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layn...lculator...and I'm wondering if a woman can use those same calculations/values or would I need something different? Do you work with women? In your opinion, do you need to alter your plans to accomodate women? Thanks a bunch. By the way, I love the video series on bbing.com. Good job!

Comment

• Hey Layne,

I know you take three scoops of xtend post workout, I was wondering if 1scoop of primal eaa and 1 scoop xtend would also be suffecient?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Dilate View Post
                              Layne, besides the insulin sensitivity, age and satisfaction per gram factor, do you think adjusting carbs intake in regards to the volume one's training would be wise?
                              I mean, obviously you need more carbs when performing Arnold's routines, than for example a DC two day split.
                              And if this statement comes out to be relevant, what would you in this case recommend in terms of macros breakdown for low volume trainers with average/low insulin sensitivity?

Also one quick general health related Q:
                              I consume a lot of eggs, especially the whites, first because I like them but also cause they're cheap. And I know why the cheap ones are cheap; mass production of eggs is done in horrendous conditions, and the animals producing those eggs are totally debilitated. So do you know how much their condition affects the quality of the eggs?
                              And are there any theories (I'm just making an hypothesis here, and maybe splitting already splitted hairs, lol) that show that the toxins/anti-biotics/etc... are found more in the yolks, or more in the whites or equally dispersed?

I know I'm a general pain in the a**, but thanks. ;-)

Paul.

PS: update
                              If you remember I asked you about overcoming a diet plateau (too much cardio too soon --> snail metabolism). So I used your advice and also took things from a book which I think can be a good read for those concerned with metabolism and hormonal "reseting". It's "A Guide to Flexible Dieting" by Lyle McDonald. That guy is really tight about metabolism.
                              So for the record, I did a two weeks diet break (coming from the Palumbo diet), progressively increasing carbs the first week (first fibrous and more starchy to the end) to the point of meeting a maintenance calorie intake (precisely slightly above maintenance, due to BMR decrease). I also progressively reduced cardio over the first week to reach a 30 minutes a day amount.
                              Results are: I just gained a pound of fat during this two weeks break and feel A LOT better. The fat loss process is also relaunched big time.
                              I said I'd keep you updated so here it is, and it also gives me the opportunity to genuinely thank you for the time you took to help me.
                              Really appreciated that.
                              no problem paul, glad it helped you.

I think that if you were training lower volume and had poor insulin sensitivity trying to gain muscle I would probably not go over 250-300g carbs & fill in extra calories with fat.

as far as eggs go, I don't think the stress that the chicken's are under would affect the quality of egg protein
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Zwier View Post
                                Layne,

pre contest you advice cars in the moring before and after training. To keep insulin low and lipid levels high.

off season you like them spread out or also at this times ?
                                i'm not quite sure I understand your question clearly
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X