Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by natedogg View Post
    Hey Layne, I was just wondering why you are against the WNBF. I'm kind of skeptical of that organization myself. I always read the natural bodybuilding magazine which is affiliated with them. What I dont understand is all the supplements that are banned from that organization, but they have advertisements for them in the magazine! Just like to get your input, thanks.

here is a letter I sent to the WNBF. Keep in mind this is only one reason I dislike them

Dear Mr. Downs,

I am writing this letter to express what I believe is a great injustice to one of natural bodybuilding’s greatest ambassadors, Dave Goodin. Dave is one of the reasons that I and many others started competing in bodybuilding. I never knew natural bodybuilding existed when I was a kid. I only knew about what I read in FLEX until I discovered guys like Dave, Dr. Joe Klemczewski and other natural pros. Dave guest posed at the first two shows I ever competed in. He was always very patient and willing to answer my questions even though I was a no name kid. Dave gave me several pieces of inspiring advice that I still utilize to this day. Dave is what natural bodybuilding should be about.

I was shocked to discover about Dave’s three year ban from the WNBF not for failing a drug test, but for being featured in a mainstream bodybuilding magazine. In the article he did nothing but praise the WNBF and shine a very positive light on natural bodybuilding. This is nothing but positive publicity for the WNBF, but unfortunately it seems the WNBF did not view it as such. I suppose the WNBF only sees one of its member athletes appearing in a magazine other than their own publication and feels their power over the athlete possibly slipping away, rather than welcoming the positive aspects of the article. NB&F needs to realize that it does not compete with Ironman. If Dave only appears in NB&F his audience is set, and it is small and stagnant. However, if he crosses over to the mainstream and appears in Ironman, perhaps more people will become interested in natural bodybuilding that normally wouldn’t be. After seeing Dave in Ironman, there is a greater possibility that the reader will decide to pick up NB&F to see what it is all about. Either way it is a WIN-WIN situation for both parties. How could Dave possibly pass up an opportunity like this? The attention & notoriety he will garner by writing for Ironman & the money/opportunities it will generate for him are far greater than he would ever receive from winning any WNBF show. I could understand this type of exclusivity requirement if you gave him some kind of compensation… any kind of compensation. But there is none. NB&F nor the WNBF do not provide him a salary, in fact Dave PAYS the WNBF to belong to the organization. The maximum amount of money he could make if he won the overall at every single show the WNBF puts on would still be under $10,000 and that is assuming he competed in his own show. The $10,000 would hardly cover his travel expenses & other contest preparation expenses. So why should he not take this opportunity to make money doing what he loves? This does not hurt the WNBF… it only helps them. The WNBF has punished Dave for trying to capitalize on this marvelous opportunity and trying to expand the sport of natural bodybuilding. This type of strong arming is one of the many reasons that natural bodybuilding is not growing at the rate that it should and more importantly could be.

I have not written this letter to beg for Dave’s reinstatement. To be frank, if this is the way athletes are treated; perhaps he is better off moving on. I have written this letter in order to express my dismay at the course of action that has been taken. I have also included the signatures of other competitors who share my stance and will refuse to turn a blind eye while a fellow brother in natural bodybuilding is treated this way. We have signed this letter as notification to the WNBF that we do not approve of their actions or their treatment of Dave Goodin. I, for one, cannot envision supporting an organization that treats an ambassador to the sport of natural bodybuilding in such a way. If this course of action is maintained I respectfully decline to submit anymore articles to your magazine or compete in any INBF shows. The natural bodybuilders themselves are the lifeblood that pumps through the veins of the natural bodybuilding world. An organization should exist to aid these bodybuilders in their quest to achieve greatness and expand natural bodybuilding, not to strong arm them or use scare tactics. Again, I/we hope the WNBF seriously reconsiders its stance on this issue.

this is only one reason out a laundry list of things that has made me dislike the WNBF. And keep in mind... at one point I was one of their biggest supportors. I wrote for their magazine even though I was never paid for my articles, I never complained because I felt like I was furthering the cause for natural bodybuilding. But they have done some things that are reprehensible in my mind.

-Layne
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• the analogous situation would be if the IFBB banned some of their athletes for appearing in MD or Ironman since the IFBB was started by weider which owns flex & M&F. Can you imagine if FOX owned the NFL and banned any athlete that appeared on CBS or anything like that? It's an absolute joke.
      BioLayne LLC
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Layne,
        Is this still your theory on bulking?
        http://bodybuilding.com/fun/layne2.htm
        NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• my theory is elaborated on in depth in my webcasts. that is an old article but still has some value. I've also talked about it quite a bit in this thread
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            the analogous situation would be if the IFBB banned some of their athletes for appearing in MD or Ironman since the IFBB was started by weider which owns flex & M&F. Can you imagine if FOX owned the NFL and banned any athlete that appeared on CBS or anything like that? It's an absolute joke.
            You are 100% correct. But you already know that.

Comment

I just wrote something about this on another forum

Post contest is a very difficult situation and if you go on a full out bulk post contest you are going to do nothing but get fat. Usually what I do is take the carb amount that the person was taking in before the show and add 50g to it, while keeping protein & fat the same, maybe slightly higher on fat. After they stop gaining weight from this; I add in another 20g of carbs & 5g of fat, when they stop gaining weight on that; I add another 25g of carbs and so on and so forth. typically it takes about 10-16 weeks to get back into a full blown offseason; but done right, the fat gain can be kept to a minimum

this was also posted by madman911 on my forum and I thought it was right on target

"We've all heard of the anabolic rebound after contest prep, and many gurus advocate eating like a horse immediately after a contest to take advantage of the huge lean gains possible during this period, but I gotta agree with Layne that it doesn't work that way. The body wants to get back to its baseline body fat levels ASAP, that will always be the body's first order of business when your body fat is literally at starvation levels. I don't agree with the assertion that the body tends toward lean mass gains when body fat is low, I believe that the body likely gains lean mass most efficiently when a threshold level of body fat is achieved. When the body is satisfied that it is no longer in immediate danger of starvation, then an environment promoting lean mass gains is created. The ultimate goal should be to gradually bring the body up to that threshold level of body fat in a slow, controlled way without exceeding what is necessary to promote muscle growth. Many bodybuilders no doubt believe they are gaining tons of lean mass post-contest (not saying that's you quelly, you seem smarter than that), when, in reality, they are adding 2 points to their body fat each week. Going from 5% to 10% bodyfat in the first 2-3 weeks post-contest seems very common and I'm sure most guys think they're packing on slabs of muscle and they are just 'holding water' post-contest and that's why they're looking smooth again.... Nope, you're just 5% fatter."
              Layne,
              I feel like I have gained this fat as you are saying... is there anything I should do now? I definitley went from about 50 carbs a day to about 2-300 after a couple days of 600 + carbs right after the show. Should i go back into contest diet for a little bit? or just ride this out?
              NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• Did they reply to your letter Layne? If so, what did they say?

Comment

• nope
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

nope
                    Bunch of arseholes, mate. That attitude will probably be their downfall.

Comment

• Layne hi.

I've just been checking out your myspace and your website, nice academic profile btw, and I was just wondering if you mind telling me what you're highest bodybuilding acheivements have been to date and any particular goals you might have along the same lines?

Thankyou for taking the time to answer if you do, because I think it will help support the credence of your arguements, as is my own plan on both accounts for myself in terms of using my acdemic acheivements and theories for my own higher success in relative industries and competitions. .. hence the late debut.
                      Dr. Aitkins, I am not.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

• Maybe I'm a little harsh or expect too much. You're only 26??.. It'll be interesting to see if it all amounts to anything you can show that you've adpoted and applied to yourself to great heights.

Good luck with your future.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

nothing wrong with that sam. thanks for watching!

Thanks Layne, just thought it might cause bloating or or insulin spike or something bad as i like it so much!!

sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Blooming lotus View Post
                            Layne hi.

I've just been checking out your myspace and your website, nice academic profile btw, and I was just wondering if you mind telling me what you're highest bodybuilding acheivements have been to date and any particular goals you might have along the same lines?

Thankyou for taking the time to answer if you do, because I think it will help support the credence of your arguements, as is my own plan on both accounts for myself in terms of using my acdemic acheivements and theories for my own higher success in relative industries and competitions. .. hence the late debut.
                            Dr. Aitkins, I am not.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
                            well i guess my career highlights are

-2004 ABA Mr. Indiana & Mr. Illinois Overall Winner
                            -2006 OCB Great Lakes states men's overall champion (pro qualified)
                            -2006 NGA Heart of America Natural Classic men's open overall champion (pro qualified)

-Layne
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Blooming lotus View Post
                              Maybe I'm a little harsh or expect too much. You're only 26??.. It'll be interesting to see if it all amounts to anything you can show that you've adpoted and applied to yourself to great heights.

Good luck with your future.

Blooming tianshi lotus.
                              25, thanks for the well wishes
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• hey layne how u liking wms?
                                "Leg Day Is Business"
                                Layne Norton