Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne what do you think of this?

So if you are 200 pounds and eat 4000 calories per day then your protein intake will be 530 grams per day (4000 x 53% / 4 = 530). If you are 200 pounds and eat 3100 calories per day then your protein intake will be 411 grams per day (3100 x 53% / 4 = 411).

There are individuals who have ultra-slow metabolisms and eat fewer calories per day. Less total calories will mean less total protein intake. When trying to gain muscle mass you never want to go below 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. If you weigh 200 pounds and you're trying to gain muscle mass you want to make sure you are getting at least 400 grams of protein per day.

To some of you this may sound excessive, but believe me it's not. If you need to consume 4000 calories per day in order to fuel muscle growth, you need to realize that the calories have to come from somewhere. If you lower your protein intake or don't meet the 53% level, but you are still taking in 4000 calories, then those other calories are coming from somewhere else - either carbohydrates or fat. And let me tell you, carbohydrates don't build muscle and fat certainly does not build muscle. Only protein builds muscle.
    To put this protein level into perspective, 400 grams of protein is only 1600 calories. So though the total number may seem large it's really not.
    this quote is taken from http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot.asp?week=4&page=7. Is this amount of protein neccesary for muscle growth as this quote says? What do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Meat View Post
      Layne what do you think of this?

this quote is taken from http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot.asp?week=4&page=7. Is this amount of protein neccesary for muscle growth as this quote says? What do you think?
      I know you are asking Layne specifically, but...

No, this is entirely excessive. Even protein can turn to fat if it becomes excessive...

Plus, your body can only metobolize and synthesize muscle tissue so fast...it's not going to need protein beyond what it needs to do that.

Sporto
      IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
      Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
        It is not a good idea to do HIIT cardio on zero-low carbs...that is a recipe for losing muscle quickly. If you are going to use Dave's approach, then stick with the longer low intensity sessions...Dave obviously knows his stuff, if HIIT cardio would have been a good idea on his diet, then he would have said so. Point being, if you use his approach, don't try and mix and match, just do his approach completely.

The frequency of your cardio (with whatever approach you use) is going to depend entirely on where you are starting out at, what you are dialing in for, how much time you have, etc...so it just depends. If you have plenty of time and just starting out, 1-2 sessions a week will be fine to start. Again, don't use HIIT for cardio though if you plan on using Dave's approach to dieting.

Hope this helps...

Sporto
        Great post. I'm doing Dave's diet for my show and it's all LONG/Low to moderate intensity. I've done in upwards of 2 1 hour cardio sessions. It sucks. Keep the heart rate at 120-130. I've actually lowered the intensity to about 100-120 because of my energy levels.

It's BRUTAL!
        TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
        www.fitcorps.net

Comment

• guys, I don't mind answering questions, but I really wish some of you would do searches. I've answered many of these questions many times over and I don't get paid for this, i'm doing the best I can to keep up, but if i have to answer every questions 5x it's really going to get tough.

-Layne
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by The Meat View Post
            Layne what do you think of this?

absolute nonsense
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by hossjob View Post
              Great post. I'm doing Dave's diet for my show and it's all LONG/Low to moderate intensity. I've done in upwards of 2 1 hour cardio sessions. It sucks. Keep the heart rate at 120-130. I've actually lowered the intensity to about 100-120 because of my energy levels.

It's BRUTAL!
              It is brutal, as I have done the low carb/low intensity cardio approach before, but the moderate carb/HIIT cardio is just as brutal too! In fact, it should be, or I would question the effort being put into it

But the main point being, the type of cardio really should coincide with the type of deiting approach chosen.

Sporto

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                guys, I don't mind answering questions, but I really wish some of you would do searches. I've answered many of these questions many times over and I don't get paid for this, i'm doing the best I can to keep up, but if i have to answer every questions 5x it's really going to get tough.

-Layne
                I got your back

Sporto

Comment

• THANKS SPORTO

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnvil View Post
                    Hey Layne. I know ya busy but I know you will have a good come back for this one. Over at **** *******'s thread he said there is no need to supplement BCAA free form because a BB should already be getting the needed amount from protein. In fact he called it an old 80s BB gimmick by Weider the same with Liver Tabs (I agree with him on the Tabs!) just rehashed as new. Dave feels high protein diet = all the BCAA u need ever.

Moreover, one of my friends who I tried to explain BCAA benefit in his training discounted the research papers (like yours) I showed him too. His take on was like Dave .. what about overall diet not just pwo. He agreed it does stimulate protein synthesis but he is like thats just 1 part of the time not all day. And its not alot to matter etc.

Bottom line they are saying pure BCAA form = waste of $ if you have a high protein diet already. How can I combat this thinking or are they right?
                    this is from an article i wrote

Despite the numerous positive benefits to BCAA supplementation, there are many skeptics who suggest that BCAAs are overpriced and that one can just increase their consumption of whey protein which is rich in BCAAs. Unfortunately this is not the case. The BCAAs in whey are peptide bound to other amino acids and must be liberated through digestion & absorbed into the bloodstream to exert their effects. Even though whey protein is relatively fast digesting, it still takes several hours for all the amino acids to be liberated & absorbed into the bloodstream. BCAAs in supplement form however, are free form BCAAs and require no digestion and are therefore rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids. Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels of BCAAs to a much greater extent than a 30g dose of whey protein, impacting protein synthesis and protein degradation to a much greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver, therefore an oral supplement is more like a BCAA injection since it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly.

http://www.strengthandscience.com/january/article5.htm
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by gainmusclefast View Post
                      wow i got that primaforce bcaa powder and i went to the gym and took the scoops strait to the mouth with water and WOW it taste horrible!!
                      that is why you get a flavored bcaa like xtend
                      Last edited by str8flexed; October 16, 2007, 03:43 PM.
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• contrary to popular belief my name is spelled L-a-y-n-e

the prevailing opinion seems to be that my name is

Lane
                        Lanye
                        Laney
                        Lain
                        Lay
                        Lenny
                        Blane
                        Dane

Honestly I get emails/questions with my name spelled like that moreso than with the correct spelling. I mean... I write my name after every post; then my website is biolayne.com

Is my name that ugly ?
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Layne,
                          what do you think about getting blood analysis done to help establish a better diet for yourself. I was reading Charles Glass' section in MD and he seems it is beneficial. What are your thoughts?
                          NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• yea i think it can be helpful and something you should do anyway for your health
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

yea i think it can be helpful and something you should do anyway for your health
                              Interesting...

What is it that we should be looking for in particular that would help us better map things out?

Sporto

Comment

contrary to popular belief my name is spelled L-a-y-n-e

the prevailing opinion seems to be that my name is

Lane
                                Lanye
                                Laney
                                Lain
                                Lay
                                Lenny
                                Blane
                                Dane

Honestly I get emails/questions with my name spelled like that moreso than with the correct spelling. I mean... I write my name after every post; then my website is biolayne.com

Is my name that ugly ?

ROFL

LAYNE, i admire your patience brother. awesome thread.
                                Question. What kind of bear is best?

Comment

Working...
                                X