Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by liftoldschool View Post
    Hey Layne,
    I am 5'7" 165 lbs. I have been at the same weight for a while now. I know I need to eat more, but I am having trouble taking in the amount I need to. I currently take in about 180 grams of protein and about 3000 calories. I am very lean naturally, I am just trying to get as big as possible right now. I am on a limited budget and it's hard to find the food I need. What meals would help me to get the nutrients I need
    Thanks
    might try checking out my article here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne6.htm it was written for college students but will be useful for anyone on a budget
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      i don't think more than 3-4 days off is a good idea, more than that and you can actually get atrophy from disuse. Rather, I think 1-2 weeks of deloading: do your normal routine but lift 60-70% of the weights you normally use. This is light enough to allow you to recover mentally & physically & give the joints a break but heavy enough to prevent atrophy
      Sounds good. How often do you suggest take a "deloading" break. (ie after 4 weeks of training, 6 weeks, ect.?)

Thanks for all the help

Comment

• usually every 4-8 weeks, i let my body tell me when i need it
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• layne do you think there is any validity to substances such as anabolic pump, or yellow gold?

Comment

• Whats up Layne, wanted to know if you thought someone who takes btw 2-3 shakes a day would need stuff like milk thistle or sesamin for all the protein going through system, ex. kidneys, liver.
            Thanks.

Also, I dont compete but i do live the lifestyle as far as eating and lifting, what would you say is a good way to structure workouts on a 4 day/week schedule? Currently this is what I do:
            M-OFF
            T-Chest / Biceps
            W-Legs
            TR-OFF
            F-Shoulders / Triceps
            Sat-Back
            Sun-OFF

I have been on this program for a while and want to change it up now.
            Cancer SURVIVOR

"Falling isn't FAILURE, FAILURE is not getting back up"

Comment

• Originally posted by Rzilla View Post
              layne do you think there is any validity to substances such as anabolic pump, or yellow gold?
              haven't really looked into them enough to be honest with you
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Deerod021 View Post
                Whats up Layne, wanted to know if you thought someone who takes btw 2-3 shakes a day would need stuff like milk thistle or sesamin for all the protein going through system, ex. kidneys, liver.
                Thanks.

Also, I dont compete but i do live the lifestyle as far as eating and lifting, what would you say is a good way to structure workouts on a 4 day/week schedule? Currently this is what I do:
                M-OFF
                T-Chest / Biceps
                W-Legs
                TR-OFF
                F-Shoulders / Triceps
                Sat-Back
                Sun-OFF

I have been on this program for a while and want to change it up now.
                no, unless your protein is ungodly high I would not worry about it, there is no evidence high protein is damaging to healthy liver/kidneys.

Honestly I think training every2x/week is far superior to 1x/week training.
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• Layne,
                  when dieting are you one of the guys who thinks green veggies are almost free? or should they be measured acurately like everything else?

Sam

Comment

• Layne, is there any way possible to determine if you have reached the end of your natural progression in terms of muscle growth?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaoshang Xiongshou View Post
                      Layne, is there any way possible to determine if you have reached the end of your natural progression in terms of muscle growth?
                      Yep; if you've given up, then you've reached the end. The only limit to your progress is in your mind, not your body, shihing.
                      I min/max my physique

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Spiko View Post
                        Yep; if you've given up, then you've reached the end. The only limit to your progress is in your mind, not your body, shihing.

I suppose I am not at the end then

Comment

• Hey Layne,

I noticed that during your bulking phase you take 3500-4000 calories, and during your cut you take in around 2250(250g pro/200g carb/50g fat)

In your video you suggest taking cutting 1000 calories or more out right away when going from bulk to cut, arent you worried about losing a significant amount of muscle?

Comment

Hey Layne,

I noticed that during your bulking phase you take 3500-4000 calories, and during your cut you take in around 2250(250g pro/200g carb/50g fat)

In your video you suggest taking cutting 1000 calories or more out right away when going from bulk to cut, arent you worried about losing a significant amount of muscle?
                            well obviously YOU aren't, because you do it. But can you give me a little more insight as to why you dont taper down? Is this ok for an 18yr old male?

Comment

Hey Layne,

no, the whole 'don't cut calories fast after a bulk you'll lose muscle' is nonsense in my opinion. Due to the hormonal mileau and metabolic situation that occurs while bulking, immediately post bulk is the best time to drop calories fast if you are going to do it. Especially considering you are only doing this for 2 weeks.. you are trying to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF METABOLIC SWINGS, if you drop calories super slow you won't do that.
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                                no, the whole 'don't cut calories fast after a bulk you'll lose muscle' is nonsense in my opinion. Due to the hormonal mileau and metabolic situation that occurs while bulking, immediately post bulk is the best time to drop calories fast if you are going to do it. Especially considering you are only doing this for 2 weeks.. you are trying to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF METABOLIC SWINGS, if you drop calories super slow you won't do that.
                                Hey Layne, speaking of your 2-3 week cutting phases, do you carb cycle during these or just keep carbs constant?

thanks brother
                                Myth's training blog:

Comment

Working...
                                X