Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Layne,
    Whats up brother? I have 2 questions for ya.
    Have you ever read a book called Militiant Bodyopus by Dan Duchaine? If you have what are your thoughts on how he formulates the diet/training protocal?
    The 2nd question is based on the a book by Ellington Darden: Hit training (I shortened the title). Would you reccomend this style of training?

    I just started this week doing giant sets to break-up the pace and add some intensity. I felt like I was in a sticking point in my training. How long would you reccomend doing this type of training for? I am doing 5days week of this type of training. I will do my primary group then add maybe a few sets of weak point on another part.
    Thanks

    Comment


    • I honestly haven't read either book, i know lyle does some good stuff, but I don't agree with the huge swings for carb cycling
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Big Keif23 View Post
        Yo Layne, have you ever attempted DOGG CRAP workout program? if so whats your take on it?
        I use various componants of it like rest pause and hard stretching. However DC training only takes advantage of one form of overload which is the weight you use. You can't get stronger for ever. Eventually your strength plateaus and once its does you have no other way to make progress with traditional DC. So I think it's best to also regulate other variables like volume, time under tension, etc.

        -Layne
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

        Comment


        • Hey everyone, check out the newest episode with special guest Tommy Jeffers!

          http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/insidethelife12.htm
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

          Comment


          • Layne do you reccomend expanding the ribcage with pullovers? And if you reccomend it why and when should I do them (with chest,back..etc.)

            Thanks man your the motivation that helped me go the natural route.

            Comment


            • Just started using some watermelon xtend....stuff is freakin awesome, I actually have some lemon on the way as well. Do you sip on it during both cardio and your workouts, or do you keep it to during cardio and post workout. I'm thinking about making it a major part of my cut over the next 28 weeks.
              Currently: PowerBuilding

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Big Poppa S View Post
                Just started using some watermelon xtend....stuff is freakin awesome, I actually have some lemon on the way as well. Do you sip on it during both cardio and your workouts, or do you keep it to during cardio and post workout. I'm thinking about making it a major part of my cut over the next 28 weeks.

                yeah.. i just started my cut a couple days ago (6'6 ish-270 lbs@18%), watermelon xtend on the way, thats the best tasting supp on the market brotha..



                and layne, i know you don't personally know my body or anything..
                but i'm 6'6-270 @ about 18-19% bodyfat now, i've cut before, but i always notice i lose EXTREME amounts of mass.. i'm FAR from an ecto because i've never really been cut, but when i do, i usually do quite a bit of cardio, and i've tried both carb cycling, and carb cutting, keeping protein very high, and moderate fat.. however.. i lose tons of lean mass..

                what the hell man!? what should i do (my bulking diet is 7500 calories, very very high carb (between 850-1000g) a day (all from oats/brown rice/..pasta and my PWO dextrose/maltodextrin)
                eh.. any suggestions to retain more muscle?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NowYourDeadSon View Post
                  yeah.. i just started my cut a couple days ago (6'6 ish-270 lbs@18%), watermelon xtend on the way, thats the best tasting supp on the market brotha..



                  and layne, i know you don't personally know my body or anything..
                  but i'm 6'6-270 @ about 18-19% bodyfat now, i've cut before, but i always notice i lose EXTREME amounts of mass.. i'm FAR from an ecto because i've never really been cut, but when i do, i usually do quite a bit of cardio, and i've tried both carb cycling, and carb cutting, keeping protein very high, and moderate fat.. however.. i lose tons of lean mass..

                  what the hell man!? what should i do (my bulking diet is 7500 calories, very very high carb (between 850-1000g) a day (all from oats/brown rice/..pasta and my PWO dextrose/maltodextrin)
                  eh.. any suggestions to retain more muscle?
                  Dont do as much cardio and start with your calories 250 or so below your bulking and keep dropping from there to maintain whatever pace you are looking to keep.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by The Meat View Post
                    Layne do you reccomend expanding the ribcage with pullovers? And if you reccomend it why and when should I do them (with chest,back..etc.)

                    Thanks man your the motivation that helped me go the natural route.
                    eh, i don't think that really works but i guess i could be wrong
                    BioLayne LLC
                    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Big Poppa S View Post
                      Just started using some watermelon xtend....stuff is freakin awesome, I actually have some lemon on the way as well. Do you sip on it during both cardio and your workouts, or do you keep it to during cardio and post workout. I'm thinking about making it a major part of my cut over the next 28 weeks.
                      if you like watermelon ya GOTTA get apple. tastes like friggin' apple juice. i take a serving preworkout/precardio & 3 servings post workout
                      BioLayne LLC
                      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by NowYourDeadSon View Post
                        yeah.. i just started my cut a couple days ago (6'6 ish-270 lbs@18%), watermelon xtend on the way, thats the best tasting supp on the market brotha..



                        and layne, i know you don't personally know my body or anything..
                        but i'm 6'6-270 @ about 18-19% bodyfat now, i've cut before, but i always notice i lose EXTREME amounts of mass.. i'm FAR from an ecto because i've never really been cut, but when i do, i usually do quite a bit of cardio, and i've tried both carb cycling, and carb cutting, keeping protein very high, and moderate fat.. however.. i lose tons of lean mass..

                        what the hell man!? what should i do (my bulking diet is 7500 calories, very very high carb (between 850-1000g) a day (all from oats/brown rice/..pasta and my PWO dextrose/maltodextrin)
                        eh.. any suggestions to retain more muscle?
                        i think your calories are entirely too high. no way you need that much. all that extra is just going to get stored. As far as cutting, how much weight do you typically lose per week whenyou cut?
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                          if you like watermelon ya GOTTA get apple. tastes like friggin' apple juice. i take a serving preworkout/precardio & 3 servings post workout
                          Yeah from the reviews on it I think that'll be the next flavor I order (along with some grape - gotta try'em all) I'm thinking 2-3 scoops during morning cardio and 2 scoops during the workout.
                          Currently: PowerBuilding

                          Comment


                          • Layne, a little advice if you can, please. Your advice has always worked well for me.

                            What supplements (protein, creatine, BCAA, Carnitine, etc.) are necessary for a beginner/intermediate level lifter?

                            I have a whey protein (Freak Fix, which I hate because it is so hard to mix) and a casein protein (100% Gold Standard, okay but not real easy to mix well), as well as GNC Unltra Mega Gold Mens Multi vitamin and Glucosamine/Chondroitin (for my knees, being in the military I have to run) supplements now. I would also like to stick to stuff I can grab at the GNC or Nutrishop around here or on base.

                            I also have aquestion about BCAA's - you explained to me earlier that BCAA's are the bricks that build proteins. Now, does taking BCAAs give you calories or does that come only from the proteins?
                            Dustin
                            "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
                            John Ruskin

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                              eh, i don't think that really works but i guess i could be wrong
                              I was going topost a similar question about pullovers - i.e. does pullovers actually benefit the chest development or would db flyes do more? I seem to feel pullovers in my rear delts, lats, and triceps as well as my chest. But Arnold really recommends pullovers and well...who can argue against him on chest development?
                              Dustin
                              "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
                              John Ruskin

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                                i think your calories are entirely too high. no way you need that much. all that extra is just going to get stored. As far as cutting, how much weight do you typically lose per week whenyou cut?

                                quite a bit... i can go from 250 to 215 in 10-12 weeks, and then up to 250 in another 10-12 weeks.. but it's not good looking weight, at ALL..
                                i guess my biggest concern is carb intake, i know high protein is important, i've got my training on lockdown, cardio is good, i just don't know what to do with my diet

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X