Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by west View Post
    That's quite a heap of work Layne (I'm interpreting that as roughly 10 sets per body part twice a week). You're not a subscriber to the less is better ethos?

I saw the recent pics you posted and it seems you're making excellent progress anyway.
    absolutely not. volume is the only thing that has ever worked for my legs. I think most people could have volume work for them but they are too scared by all the overtrainnig propoganda
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      absolutely not. volume is the only thing that has ever worked for my legs. I think most people could have volume work for them but they are too scared by all the overtrainnig propoganda
      That is an interesting statement. I also think that most people have this overtraining scare. Not ripping on people, just ignorance, which is the lack of knowledge. In my life time of sports (including 3 years at pro level domestic cycling), and body building. I have only ever know of 2 people that were actually in a state of overtraining. Now of course I come nowhere near to knowing each individual involved in sports, but out of the literally thousands that I have known, that is still a minute number compared to the (as Layne so eloquentlyput) propoganda that circulates
      today. Oh and those 2 people were both ultra distance runners who developed eating disorders, with the thinking that lighter is faster. So they cut their calories to a ridiculous level.
      Layne, what's your take on 'overtraining'? From someone who actually has the science to back him up.
      Assistant to the regional manager.
      Iron8 approved

Comment

I agree. Seems to me that the human body can take much more than what a lot of people give it credit for. Do you do this same volume for all body parts?

Comment

• It's typically recommended to rest between sets about 1 minute or under if hypertrophy is your goal (which for me it is) and for strength 2 minutes or more. The only problem with this is that I think strength and size are inextricably linked. So what's the compromise?

What are your thoughts on this Layne and how long do you rest between sets?

Comment

• Hey layne does an estrogen blocker like Nolvadex XT by Gaspari nutrition have any water holding effects... or is it fine to take pre contest?
            DC advocate

CSCS
            B.S. in Exercise Science

Comment

• Jeff,
              I'm not sure but even if it does it shouldn't be a problem until about 1 week out, then you can just stop taking it
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
                Hey layne does an estrogen blocker like Nolvadex XT by Gaspari nutrition have any water holding effects... or is it fine to take pre contest?

Is that legal in the NANBF? Are you competing naturally?

Comment

Legs days are what seperates the men from the boys. Hell arms... joke. Chest... that's for fun. Back... not even close. Shoulders? Walk in the park. Legs are what seperates the recreational lifter from the truly intense. Just keep that in mind whenever you feel like skimping on leg day.
                  hey bro i just wanna tell you my leg workout came around again and thats all i thought the entire time and i had problably one of the best leg workouts in a while thanks alot bro talk to you later
                  -IRON MAN ATHLETICS
                  -HARDCORE/PROFROMANCE WEAR
                  -COMING EARLY SEPT

Comment

• good deal man! that's the way to be
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by west View Post
                      It's typically recommended to rest between sets about 1 minute or under if hypertrophy is your goal (which for me it is) and for strength 2 minutes or more. The only problem with this is that I think strength and size are inextricably linked. So what's the compromise?

What are your thoughts on this Layne and how long do you rest between sets?
                      i rest however long it takes to regain my focus and be 100% ready for my next set. For curls this can be as little as 45 seconds, for something like heavy squats though, I may go well over 5 minutes between sets
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Toddbz View Post
                        That is an interesting statement. I also think that most people have this overtraining scare. Not ripping on people, just ignorance, which is the lack of knowledge. In my life time of sports (including 3 years at pro level domestic cycling), and body building. I have only ever know of 2 people that were actually in a state of overtraining. Now of course I come nowhere near to knowing each individual involved in sports, but out of the literally thousands that I have known, that is still a minute number compared to the (as Layne so eloquentlyput) propoganda that circulates
                        today. Oh and those 2 people were both ultra distance runners who developed eating disorders, with the thinking that lighter is faster. So they cut their calories to a ridiculous level.
                        Layne, what's your take on 'overtraining'? From someone who actually has the science to back him up.
                        Essentially what people don't realize is that volume is another form of overload. One of the principles of hypertrophy that most people agree on is you must continuously increase overload on the muscle to stimulate new growth. Well you can only gain so much strength, eventually you plateau, but you can ALWAYS add more volume. My friend did his masters in exercise phys at one of the premier places to do that degree (baylor) & during most studies they ran the strongest correlating factor to muscle growth was almost always volume. The reason most people are scared to do volume is 1) they have always been told they will overtrain and 2) when they first stat out on the program they lose strength and feel rundown and like shit. This is normal, your body isn't used to it and it must adjust. It takes about 2-4 weeks for your body to adjust, once it does the strength and hypertrophy gains are very noticible, every client i've ever done this to has worked quite similarly. They are begging me to let them train the old way for the first 2-4 weeks, and after that they send me emails saying they can't believe how fast they are gaining strength.

There are two drawbacks to volume

1) more rapid development of injuries as you are doing more sets and if you have any problems in form they will be exaggerated faster with high volume so you may get aches and pains

2) It is very mentally tough to keep up with high volume. You will mentally burnout before you ever physically do.

both of these are why volume should be cycles and once every 5-10 weeks depending upon how your body response you should reduce volume and reduce weights to 70% of normal for 2 weeks to regain your focus and let your body's aches and pains subside.

-Layne
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

I used to go high volume, and I got some gains, and then, it all seemed to stop, but in truth, I love high volume training. I backed off of it for a while, and there was minimal gain. Looking at this, I think I can go back, because I always felt that legs needed a lot of work, period.

Comment

Essentially what people don't realize is that volume is another form of overload. One of the principles of hypertrophy that most people agree on is you must continuously increase overload on the muscle to stimulate new growth. Well you can only gain so much strength, eventually you plateau, but you can ALWAYS add more volume. My friend did his masters in exercise phys at one of the premier places to do that degree (baylor) & during most studies they ran the strongest correlating factor to muscle growth was almost always volume. The reason most people are scared to do volume is 1) they have always been told they will overtrain and 2) when they first stat out on the program they lose strength and feel rundown and like shit. This is normal, your body isn't used to it and it must adjust. It takes about 2-4 weeks for your body to adjust, once it does the strength and hypertrophy gains are very noticible, every client i've ever done this to has worked quite similarly. They are begging me to let them train the old way for the first 2-4 weeks, and after that they send me emails saying they can't believe how fast they are gaining strength.

There are two drawbacks to volume

1) more rapid development of injuries as you are doing more sets and if you have any problems in form they will be exaggerated faster with high volume so you may get aches and pains

2) It is very mentally tough to keep up with high volume. You will mentally burnout before you ever physically do.

both of these are why volume should be cycles and once every 5-10 weeks depending upon how your body response you should reduce volume and reduce weights to 70% of normal for 2 weeks to regain your focus and let your body's aches and pains subside.

-Layne
                            Pure gold man. I love the fact that you challenge the status quo and are not afraid to go against the grain. That's why I bug you with questions all the time!

Comment

• i go where the science supports my friend
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Trainer4Life View Post
                                Is that legal in the NANBF? Are you competing naturally?

I guess i consider myself natural (since i've never taken any juice, illegal fat burners, or pro-hormones)... but i compete in the NPC, untested shows...
                                DC advocate

CSCS
                                B.S. in Exercise Science

Comment

Working...
                                X