Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne,
    2 questions.............
    1) What's your take on having a whey shake in the middle of the night during contest prep?
    2) For contest prep.... Let's say my kcal requirement is 2500 with protein req being 300g. Do you feel the protein included in carb sources should be counted towards the 300? Background of my question is from the Scivation Cut Diet where the kcals in the 2500 plan are actually over. Just curious to know if you agree with this.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr House View Post
      hey you are right I didn't realize that.
      I should take it to 5 days workout 2 day rest. The best is 4 day workout 3 day rest imho. Yeah i will do that.
      I think it might be better to do 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off.

Comment

• Originally posted by unoigo View Post
        Layne,
        2 questions.............
        1) What's your take on having a whey shake in the middle of the night during contest prep?
        2) For contest prep.... Let's say my kcal requirement is 2500 with protein req being 300g. Do you feel the protein included in carb sources should be counted towards the 300? Background of my question is from the Scivation Cut Diet where the kcals in the 2500 plan are actually over. Just curious to know if you agree with this.

Thanks!
        as far as number 2, I can tell you Layne believes in counting ALL protein in your diet from ALL sources
        Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
        http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• im not sure on layne's stance but when i worked with chuck (creator of the diets) he said that 1 cup oatmeal is 4 carbs and 1 protein. if you consume enough of a carb or fat for it to equal a serving of protein then you count it. vice versa for fat/protein (ex: salmon is 1 serving protein & 1/2 serving fat/ounce)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
            I can testify to that Thank you for finally teaching me to surround my cardio with carbs!

Sporto
            what type of carbs pre and post cardio sporto? simple complex combination?

Comment

• question for you layne

I know you advocate quick switches between bulks and cuts, going from (for example) 2500kcals to 3500kcals one day to the next....

but you advocate a very slow upward taper post contest, going up less than 500kcals a week....

why the different strategy?
              Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
              http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by AllGenetix View Post
                im not sure on layne's stance but when i worked with chuck (creator of the diets) he said that 1 cup oatmeal is 4 carbs and 1 protein. if you consume enough of a carb or fat for it to equal a serving of protein then you count it. vice versa for fat/protein (ex: salmon is 1 serving protein & 1/2 serving fat/ounce)

I hope you dont mean 4gms of carbs.......
                Shelby 01/2000 - 4/18/10. Rest in peace baby, there's no more suffering.

Comment

• 4 servings, hes talking about in the book it tells u how many servings of carbs/fat/protein per meal
                  "Leg Day Is Business"
                  Layne Norton

Comment

• Originally posted by Quelly View Post
                    question for you layne

I know you advocate quick switches between bulks and cuts, going from (for example) 2500kcals to 3500kcals one day to the next....

but you advocate a very slow upward taper post contest, going up less than 500kcals a week....

why the different strategy?
                    Because there's a HUGE difference (metabolically, hormonally, etc...) between dieting for months and being 3-5% (not to mention way below setpoint) and dieting for 2 weeks and being at or over setpoint.

Sporto
                    IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
                    Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• I know your a life time natural, but your also a man of science, so I'd like to know if you ever studied or would care to study different forms of AAS and the effects they have on the body.
                      Republicans buy shoes too.

Comment

• Layne question,

I have seen diets like what I am about to describe and wanted to know your take on it, either for gaining mass or fat loss.

Person is training 3 days a week, and on the training days they are consuming 250g protein, 300g carbs, 50g fat. On the other four days, they are consuming 350g protein, 150g carbs and 75g fat.

So, although the nutrients change, calories stay right around 2600-2700 per day. Thoughts on this?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigock View Post
                          what type of carbs pre and post cardio sporto? simple complex combination?
                          I have used cereal + skim milk pre and post both weights and cardio now every day for 7+ months of dieting...

Sporto
                          IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
                          Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• ALA friend or foe as a GDA?

hEY LAYNE:

I posted this in the GDA somebody suggested I ask you about it since you have written about ALA before. Here goes....

Can somebody clear this up on the use of ALA as a GDA. I do know it does work to drop blood sugar levels however there is an issue which I've read conflicting info from articles.

CASE #1 http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1604392

David Barr claims that research shows ALA can activate not only the muscle cell insulin receptor but the fat cells as well. He went on there is alot we don't know about its use (could be at that time and outdated now from when over at T-Nation forums he wrote it) but basically it might store in fat cells as well which is what we are trying to avoid as an GDA.

CASE#2

On the other hand in a recent issue of Natural Bodybuilding & Fitness Magazine there is an article on r-ALA and it mentions it does not activate fat cells.

I'm on the fence here and I would like to know if anybody can show some stuff to clear this up. I think maybe it is plausible because ALA is fat and water soluble so it having some affinity for fat cells I could see.

Then again doesn't the sugar have to be converted by some process outside the cell into fat or does that process take place in fat cells.

The issue basically is while we know it does drop blood sugar levels does ALA only move it to muscle cells and not fat is the question.
                            Is r-ALA different in this respect?
                            "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

Comment

• please read my article on ALA The Lipoic Acid project on bodybuilding.com

i address these concerns
                              BioLayne LLC
                              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• PWO Shake

Hey Layne!
                                I've been drinking my new Post-Workout Shake that I asked you about about a month ago. Tastes AMAZING! and I've def felt a difference using the waxy maize. I can get my next meal down a lot lot sooner. I also don't know how I was living without XTEND!! Anyways, here's my question, I bring my PWO shake with me to the gym so the powder is already in it and then I fill up the shake with about 12-14 ounces of water. As I'm finishing the shake there is prob like 2-4 ounces of foam. Is this the wazy maize? Should I be concerned about not getting whatever that foam is down?? Anyway to fix this problem? Thanks Layne, I appreciate the help as always. Can't wait for Episode 13!!

- CarpeDiem

Comment

Working...
                                X