Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by COPA View Post
    Layne - does chewing your food denature the protein in it?
    You should only ever chew your food minimally, ie, only chew it if it's bigger than your fist. Everything else just swallow--you may need quite a lot of water.

Comment

• Originally posted by COPA View Post
      Layne - does chewing your food denature the protein in it?
      no, but no need to worry about denaturation; it is a natural part of digestion; the stomach has concentrated hydrochloric acid & the pepsin enzyme... both of which work to denature & unfold proteins so they can be easier for digestive enzymes to cleave
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        from what i understand heat and acid are the only way to denature protein molecules. I highly doubt that a blender will do it.

-Layne
        Did some google search and it turns out when looking at cooking/egg foams etc yes applying forces to an egg white can denature the structure. In fact, some chefs try to minimize this denature process when whisking to make foams.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking.../11-03-03.html is a good explanation. Some proteins in egg white are more prone to being denatured by wisks than others.

Unlike doing "the rocky" I bet if throw them in blender good until its very thick will do the trick. I guess the confusion over eating raw eggs is whole untouched & runny vs being beaten like scrambled very hard.

Heat easily changes proteins as can changes in PH but it does appear from what I'm reading online forces can change the structure of some proteins.
        When I was reading about the egg absorption 1 of the authors theories was that the raw egg proteins natrually block digestive enzymes thus less gets taken up. However, heat as we all know stops these proteins from working as they do normally. If the theory holds up heavy beating of an egg white can also work to make it more Bio-available.
        "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

Comment

• well whadya know? learn something every day
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Layne, thanx for providing all this excellent information.

I have a quick question regarding Leucine, since you are the expert on this.

If someone was gonna do something silly like a fast for a day or two, or even an intermittent fasting type diet where one eats most of their calories in a short feeding window at the end of the day, do you suspect taking a leucine supplement taken every few hours during the fasting days/or fasting window would be beneficial to help offset the muscle loss?

If so, what would you recommend in terms of amount and spacing?

Comment

• ARROGANT? HEHE NO WAY BRO! It's fucking great that you answer that many questions

Comment

• Originally posted by Youngguns View Post
                I'm not him, but your teeth is the first step to your digestive system, they are needed to break down your food small enough for your body to be able to utilize it to it's full potential. Chew your food as best as you can, especially steak. Remember, your body utilizes what you CHEW not just what you swallow.
                im pretty sure he was joking.. so hard to pick up sarcasim on these forums.

Comment

• Originally posted by pete69 View Post
                  Layne, thanx for providing all this excellent information.

I have a quick question regarding Leucine, since you are the expert on this.

If someone was gonna do something silly like a fast for a day or two, or even an intermittent fasting type diet where one eats most of their calories in a short feeding window at the end of the day, do you suspect taking a leucine supplement taken every few hours during the fasting days/or fasting window would be beneficial to help offset the muscle loss?

If so, what would you recommend in terms of amount and spacing?
                  yes; however if you were fasting i would not use just leucine. Leucine depletes the other 2 BCAA from the plasma when taken alone. This is not a big deal if you are eating a high protein diet because there will be ample BCAA to guard against this but if you are fasting you will definately get a depletion so I would recommend 8g of BCAA every 3-4 hours
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by hulk7280 View Post
                    im pretty sure he was joking.. so hard to pick up sarcasim on these forums.
                    Indeed, my post was purely in jest.
                    Troponin Nutritionist

Comment

• hello layne,
                      I tried to follow eggwhite discussion, but it got incredibly involved/scientific...lol... i buy eegwhites in carton at grocery and of course I cook them, scrambled usually....of course there is denaturation, like there is when meat is cooked...so are we saying that we need to do something other than cooking eggwhites in order to increase bioavailability? Thank u much

Comment

• no not at all, cooking is fine
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• thanks layne !!! i got confused with the gentleman who was thinking of heavily beating the eggwhites first to make thwm possibly more bioavailable...i did'nt get how that would eliminate the need to cook it, which alters the structure of the protein anyway...i am not egg savvy enough i guess..lol..because i was lost....we all need to eat eggwhites and cooking them is a must. I would think 90% of the protein is still useful for building muscle...thanks for the help... hope you are doing well...love the xtend, thank u..just ordered a bunch

Comment

• Thanx for the quick response Layne.

Your recs for spreading protein out is really interesting. Look forward to reading any published research that comes out on the topic. It reminds me of Biore's work from a few years back about a 'Protein Pulse' feeding, but involved a large intake in one meal and only worked well in elderly but didn't help younger individuals.

Would your suggestion of having BCAA's inbetween meals have any effect on the refractory period that might be necessary before getting another elevation in muscle protein synthesis the following meal.

Example, if eating 4 meals every 5 hours, you get BCAA's with each meal. But your putting BCAA's in the body every 2.5 hours if taking them between meals as well. Couldn't this possibly mimic the frequent feeding 'infusion' type situation that will prevent a potent stimulus the next meal.

Would it make sense to perhaps take a dose of BCAA's or Leucine 15 minutes before each meal, get a maximal spike near the meal and accompany it with the full spectrum of aminos shortly after. Then allow the 4.5-5 hr period to go by unabated.

Comment

• i don't think so, i think meals lead to a steady release of aminos but by having a bcaa bolus in between each you will definately cause a big spike in amino acid levels which should give you a synthetic response.

-Layne
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnvil View Post
                                Did some google search and it turns out when looking at cooking/egg foams etc yes applying forces to an egg white can denature the structure. In fact, some chefs try to minimize this denature process when whisking to make foams.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking.../11-03-03.html is a good explanation. Some proteins in egg white are more prone to being denatured by wisks than others.

Unlike doing "the rocky" I bet if throw them in blender good until its very thick will do the trick. I guess the confusion over eating raw eggs is whole untouched & runny vs being beaten like scrambled very hard.

Heat easily changes proteins as can changes in PH but it does appear from what I'm reading online forces can change the structure of some proteins.
                                When I was reading about the egg absorption 1 of the authors theories was that the raw egg proteins natrually block digestive enzymes thus less gets taken up. However, heat as we all know stops these proteins from working as they do normally. If the theory holds up heavy beating of an egg white can also work to make it more Bio-available.
                                One thing that I would think would still be a limiting factor is the potential for food poisoning... While I admit I have an iron stomach and probably throw things in it I maybe shouldn't (although the stomach flu kicked my butt last week..) I think if you risk eating un-pasteurized, raw eggs, you are putting yourself at risk for salmonella and the cost isn't worth the benefit in cooking.
                                www.naturaliowamuscle.com
                                www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

Working...
                                X