Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • if you don't have a fever training moderately will actually help but I would not go super hard & heavy
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

    Comment


    • Cool thanks for the reply! I trained anyway today, and had an awesome workout! at first I was gonna make it a light workout, but I ended up training hard and intense, figured I'd have the whole day to recover, now I feel like shit, whatever! Least I had a good workout. What are your thoughts on vitamin c supplementation? Are there any natural supps you use to help recover from a cold? I'm eating lots of frozen mixed berries, greens, airborne, and clean foods as well i.e egg whites, skinless chicken breasts, tuna, and yams, staple bodybuilding foods.

      Comment


      • BS in Biochemistry from Eckerd College
        PhD candidate in nutritional science with a specialization in skeletal muscle protein metabolism at the University of Illinois

        Hey Layne,

        I have not been able to find ANYTHING with regards to a 'general rule of thumb' with regards to the amount of muscle that a nattie can put on.

        I realise that there are a huge number of variable due to biochemical/genetic/physiological individuality, but I thought with your research background, there must be a rough ball park figure, just as there is the general guidelines of a 1 kg loss of fat per week.

        (BTW, I am doing my master's in Clinical Biochem, just have to do my research project on macro creatine kinase............)

        Comment


        • Hey Layne,

          I hate to do this to you and ask *another* BCAA question, but do you think that there is any benefit to having a couple servings of xtend prior to the workout, say in the hour or two running up to the workout? I'm currently having 3-4 scoops during my workout/cardio session, but I was wondering if there is any advantage to taking some in before this period, if it would have a "super-saturation" effect (or if there's even such a think)? FYI...I take in adequate protein, between 1g and 1.5g per pound of LBM. Thanks
          Currently: PowerBuilding

          Comment


          • maybe a scoop or 2
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

            Comment


            • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              maybe a scoop or 2

              training question: i got the idea from one of your vids i've been doin a split like this:
              mon- heavy upper body (flat bench, bent rows, military press, bb curls, close grip bench, incline bench, db rows, lat pulldowns, things along those lines)
              tues- lower heavy ass shit (squats, deads, front squats, leg press, cleans, stiff legs, etc)
              wed-rest
              thurs-chest/back - hypertrophy workout.. i do all supersets, chest to back, or vice cersa, but i've been doin some pretty high volume, bout 5-6 exercises, 4-5 sets a pop
              fri- legs hypertrophy (ugh.. just did this yesterday, was rough shit).. very low rest between sets again, front squats, leg extensions, lunges, that left/right/left/right DC 1 legged leg press, etc
              sat- delts/arms- all supersets again, bout 5-6 exercises again, no rest rly, goin from delt to bi to tri, no rest, etc

              i guess my question is, what's your take on that?.. does it seem to hit everything i need, and look "effective" to you??

              Comment


              • being a natty pro I thought u might know this 1. Most guys take GH in drug form. But it would be possible to get your body to effectively produce near max GH levels with diet and training.

                Well Training we know shorter rest peroids and intensity work to rev up GH output and receptors on muscle tissue. So then lets take a look at diet because here info conflicts. Some say don't take > 10 G of fat b4 a workout then you also hear experts say no high carb meals b4 bed as both of these reduce GH output.

                Well does that meal carbs i.e. insulin spike pre workout reduces and/or taking in fats at bedtime e.g. whey+EFA (to slow it down) will reduce GH levels?

                Basically is the presence of high fat or insulin in the blood effect GH output?
                "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NowYourDeadSon View Post
                  training question: i got the idea from one of your vids i've been doin a split like this:
                  mon- heavy upper body (flat bench, bent rows, military press, bb curls, close grip bench, incline bench, db rows, lat pulldowns, things along those lines)
                  tues- lower heavy ass shit (squats, deads, front squats, leg press, cleans, stiff legs, etc)
                  wed-rest
                  thurs-chest/back - hypertrophy workout.. i do all supersets, chest to back, or vice cersa, but i've been doin some pretty high volume, bout 5-6 exercises, 4-5 sets a pop
                  fri- legs hypertrophy (ugh.. just did this yesterday, was rough shit).. very low rest between sets again, front squats, leg extensions, lunges, that left/right/left/right DC 1 legged leg press, etc
                  sat- delts/arms- all supersets again, bout 5-6 exercises again, no rest rly, goin from delt to bi to tri, no rest, etc

                  i guess my question is, what's your take on that?.. does it seem to hit everything i need, and look "effective" to you??
                  looks fine to me
                  BioLayne LLC
                  PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

                  Comment


                  • what is ure training philosophy for the abdominals...?? also how often do u practice ure posing...thanks again...
                    www.myspace.com/bucksweep85
                    "Insane is what the lazy call the commited!"

                    Comment


                    • please see my article on abs on my webpage http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne.htm
                      BioLayne LLC
                      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Tatyana View Post
                        BS in Biochemistry from Eckerd College
                        PhD candidate in nutritional science with a specialization in skeletal muscle protein metabolism at the University of Illinois

                        Hey Layne,

                        I have not been able to find ANYTHING with regards to a 'general rule of thumb' with regards to the amount of muscle that a nattie can put on.

                        I realise that there are a huge number of variable due to biochemical/genetic/physiological individuality, but I thought with your research background, there must be a rough ball park figure, just as there is the general guidelines of a 1 kg loss of fat per week.

                        (BTW, I am doing my master's in Clinical Biochem, just have to do my research project on macro creatine kinase............)
                        My eternal burning question...................

                        Are there just far too many variable even for a ball park figure?

                        Comment


                        • well typically the absolute max amount of amino acids that can be deposited in tissue per day is about 5-10g. So let's say you max that at 10g per day. 10X365 = 3,650 grams. 3650g/454grams per lb = 8.04 lbs. Now that is dry tissue weight. Skeletal mucle is only about 30% dry tissue and 70% water. so if 8.04 is divided by .3 you get about 26.8 lbs per year. Now obviously this is not set in stone but I think it's probably safe to say anything over 25-30 lbs of LEAN tissue gain per year would be close to impossible to achieve without anabolics.
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

                          Comment


                          • Nice post Layne.

                            Thanks again for taking the time to post here and answer everyone's questions.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by unoigo View Post
                              Nice post Layne.

                              Thanks again for taking the time to post here and answer everyone's questions.
                              definitley agree with this post...u are definitley knowledgable and obviousley care enough of the upcomming bodybuilders out there... ure def one of my fav threads!!
                              www.myspace.com/bucksweep85
                              "Insane is what the lazy call the commited!"

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                                please see my article on abs on my webpage http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne.htm
                                thanks lanyne,

                                Ive been doing my ab training the same for years...just recently ive been reading in some journals like NSCA n through some old training journal from college we used the westside barbell method that multiple day ab training was better then once a week blah blah...again had to ask u for the clarification..thanks
                                www.myspace.com/bucksweep85
                                "Insane is what the lazy call the commited!"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X