Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping my bro

Well for starters Layne let me give you and Tommy a huge hand and congrats on the OCB win a few weeks ago! I was in Italy with family during the comp and it killed me to have to wait untill I got back on the 21st to find out how it went for you guys. This contest just goes to prove you have the skills and knowledge to help yet another natural guy come to the stage with a level of conditioning we all envy. The total package is what Tommy seems to have brought and it served him well. Congrats again!

To get my question out now......I have my brother cutting down for pure fitness reasons (I think a girl is the bottom line) and he said he would do anything I tell him to do no matter what so with that I held him to his word and through him on a diet similar to the one you have outlined in "Scivations, Showtime Cut Diet" He is on a 3000kcal cut plan right now and he is 8 days into the plan, he is doing surprisingly well for low carbs. He follows a 5 days a week weight training program I made for him.

My bro is 300lbs and 21 years old at 6'1''. Bodyfat is unknown exactly but its above 22% based on last years post season football skinfolds.

He does cardio on weekends for 30 minutes in the morning (fasted) (low intensity) and for 15 minutes a day 5 days a week after workouts (low intensity).

At his bodyfat level and only 9 days into the diet should he be using the carb refeeds? Or should we wait till he gets leaner and his metabolism gets better benefit from the carb refeeds? What % bf should we wait for if so to use them?

Thanks man!
    MS - Human Sport Performance
    NSCA - CPT, CSCS

Comment

• i didn't write the book, those are not my theories nessecarily. chuck rudolph wrote the book, i only wrote the BCAA chapter
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• I see, well that helps yes, but none the less I dont have him on that diet exactly but its close to it. Do you still think we should wait till he is leaner for any kind of weekly refeeds? If so what body fat you think would be ideal to start them?
        MS - Human Sport Performance
        NSCA - CPT, CSCS

Comment

• around 15-18% or so probably
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• layne i know you recommend taking CMono just on your workout days post workout. what about beta-alanine? should you take it everyday or just on days you workout? thanks

Comment

• i would take 2-3g on workout days; 1g on offdays
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Layne,
                What are your thoughts on left handed amino acids? Why does all life on earth need left handed amino acids? Why are there right handed amino acids if we only need the L-form of them?
                Is the fact that there are left handed amino acids found on various space particles that fall to earth a compelling argument for life outside of our planet?

What do you know about the effects of R-aminos R-proteins and (if there even are any) racemic-amino acids in the body? Is there any info on this?

The last question is the serious one.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                  well typically the absolute max amount of amino acids that can be deposited in tissue per day is about 5-10g. So let's say you max that at 10g per day. 10X365 = 3,650 grams. 3650g/454grams per lb = 8.04 lbs. Now that is dry tissue weight. Skeletal mucle is only about 30% dry tissue and 70% water. so if 8.04 is divided by .3 you get about 26.8 lbs per year. Now obviously this is not set in stone but I think it's probably safe to say anything over 25-30 lbs of LEAN tissue gain per year would be close to impossible to achieve without anabolics.
                  Thank you!

The only stuff I found was usually related to animal husbandry......

Comment

• Layne - I know with tommy you had to work on getting his back wider, and I'm sure he is still working on that. Also, your back is fairly wide too.

Is there any way to grow a massive back without going to nuts with deads? I used to love deads, but over the years, I feel like it's risks are currently not out weighing the benefits. It's marginal cost is way to high I think.

What do you think? What would be a solid back day in your opinion?

Comment

• well i work back 2x/week which i feel is a must. I think rack chins, weighted pullups, close grip pulldowns for width. Then barbell rows, dumbbell rows, dumbbell rows braced against an incline bench, etc. I mean there are no big secrets. Go heavy, use enough volume, and be consistent.
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by troponin View Post
                        Layne,
                        What are your thoughts on left handed amino acids? Why does all life on earth need left handed amino acids? Why are there right handed amino acids if we only need the L-form of them?
                        Is the fact that there are left handed amino acids found on various space particles that fall to earth a compelling argument for life outside of our planet?

What do you know about the effects of R-aminos R-proteins and (if there even are any) racemic-amino acids in the body? Is there any info on this?

The last question is the serious one.
                        Justin, you referring to the use of D-isomer amino acids in the body?
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• layne what do you think about high potencey muti-vitamins like opt-men by optimum nutrition , do you think theyoverload the body with to many vitamins and minerals? am i better off with a basic men's mutivitamin?

Comment

• too much of anything is bad. just get the recommended
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                              too much of anything is bad. just get the recommended
                              was gonna say , i stsarted taking the high potencey one and i started to feel bloated , notice heavey breathing/congestion (might be sick dunno) but defintly got acne on my back out of the blue!

thanks ago bro , whens the dvd hitting the store , taking pre-orders at all?

Comment

• one more thing about the muti-vin/min , just got back from trader joes and picked up a once daily men's formula , all the totals hit 100% except for biotin,calcium,magesium, , but i take calcium which has added magesium too , this sound like a decent multi? what kind of multi you take? its only 1 tablet daily , are multi-tablets better because you can spread out the servings through the day to keep vitamin levels steady or it doesnt matter?

Comment

Working...
                                X