Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne, I recently reread your article " A Unique Combination of Science and Experience...", which is full of great info. Since it was written, have your changed or updated any of your thoughts or protocols on diet or final week prep. I was just curious if your have any new information that could be used along with it.
    " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      Great episode; I'm always left wanting more, though. That dude with the earrings was pretty big.

Comment

well there is actually evidence that if you keep amino acids constantly elevated that your body becomes refractory to them. Meaning protein synthesis will decrease in the presence of high levels of amino acids. my research supports this so far; it looks like it may actually be better to consume large protein doses and spread them out further in order to maximize protein synthesis.
        ok so what is this bs that your body can only absorb amount a certian amount of protien per meal? like you shouldnt eat 75 grams of protien for a meal because ur body cant absorb it? is this true or is this another bb myth?

Comment

• well i wrote an article on just this subject, but i'd rather not post it because no magazine has accepted it yet
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

well i wrote an article on just this subject, but i'd rather not post it because no magazine has accepted it yet
            Probably because your advocating against something that makes them $?
            Think about it they sell protein supplements etc in ads and your saying use less protein etc not MORE.

It may be political.
            "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

Comment

well there is actually evidence that if you keep amino acids constantly elevated that your body becomes refractory to them. Meaning protein synthesis will decrease in the presence of high levels of amino acids. my research supports this so far; it looks like it may actually be better to consume large protein doses and spread them out further in order to maximize protein synthesis.

So does this mean the Xtend mega dose practice that some are doing is actually hurting, not helping?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnvil View Post
                Probably because your advocating against something that makes them $?
                Think about it they sell protein supplements etc in ads and your saying use less protein etc not MORE.

It may be political.
                no not at all. It is actually not against protein at all
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• Originally posted by unoigo View Post
                  So does this mean the Xtend mega dose practice that some are doing is actually hurting, not helping?
                  well i recommend higher doses of BCAA but not sipping; dosing them at specific times throughout the day
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

well i wrote an article on just this subject, but i'd rather not post it because no magazine has accepted it yet
                    ok.. so let me ask it a diffent way.. if it ok to eat 75 grams of protien over 4 meals then to eat lets say 50 over 6? is one superior over the other as far as the amount of protien i am absorbing?

Comment

• no, 75 is too much. 50 over 6 would be far better.

as far as absorption, that is not the issue here. You absorb most everything; 'experts' throw around the term absorption, but they don't even know what they are referring to. Here is an excerpt from the article I wrote. If you guys want to see the whole thing maybe it's time to start asking the mags to put my articles in lol. I've tried everything I can possibly do to get them in the right way without begging and it doesn't seem to work.

" Many ‘experts’ or gym know it alls out there who will tell you to only consume “X” amount of protein at a meal because only “X” amount of protein can be absorbed by the body at a meal (I’m sure you’ve all heard this one before). Let this nonsense stop here and now. To begin with, this entire train of thought isn’t even on the correct track. Hell it didn’t even depart from the right train station! Assuming that you have a healthy digestive system the absorption of the amino acids from a meal containing protein is very efficient and almost never a limiting factor. Absorption only refers to nutrient uptake & absorption via the digestive track (most absorption occurring in the small intestine). If our digestive systems didn’t absorb most of what we eat than anytime you had a big meal you would have diarrhea like clockwork from the undigested material in the gut! It also makes very little sense from an evolutionary standpoint to be very wasteful with nutrients when primitive man may have only been able to eat one large meal in a day at times. Our species would not have survived very long if we were wasteful with nutrients and did not absorb amino acids beyond a certain level. In reality, the body has an extremely high capacity for amino acid absorption. What these people who spout this nonsense are really referring to is amino acid utilization. You see, even if we absorb 100% of the amino acids we ingest, that doesn’t mean they will all reach the skeletal muscle and input towards building muscle mass. In actuality a very small percentage are used for that role. The cells of the small intestine and liver extract a huge amount of amino acids for energy and their own synthesis of new proteins in first pass metabolism before they ever reach the bloodstream! Once in the bloodstream amino acids can also be taken up and utilized by other tissues such as the kidneys, heart, skin, etc. So it is not a question of how much protein/amino acids can be absorbed at a meal, rather the question is what level of protein at a meal gives the maximum benefit for muscle building? Essentially anything below this level would not maximally support muscle building, while at a protein intake above this level, the body would merely oxidize the excess amino acids for energy. "
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• a little off topic

Layne, have you ever considered writting a "Sports Nutrition" Book o filming a video?

it seems like there is nobody catering to the hundreds of thousands of athletes in the world. All the nutrition books are either weight loss or bodybuilding geared.

furthermore all the athletes I have met (outside bodybuilding) know shit about nutrition.

I think there is a huge market, much bigger than the bodybuilding market, for such product from the weekend golfer to high school, ncaa and pro athleets.

Possible name:

"Scientificaly Designed performance nutrition, the unfair advantage"

If you publish this you owe me a check!

Comment

• Real content!

Man I would so much rather see science-based articles like that than loads of "how to build big guns" junk...

I am sending shout to MD right now...
                          www.naturaliowamuscle.com
                          www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• I kind of regret saying that now. If I get an article/column in anywhere, I want it to be on my own merits; not because i had a bunch of people write letters. I feel like my education & writing is good enough; I know it is. But it's very frustrating when you send in articles every month and people don't even bother to reply to you. I am not a huge name, but I don't think I'm a nobody either.
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

I kind of regret saying that now. If I get an article/column in anywhere, I want it to be on my own merits; not because i had a bunch of people write letters. I feel like my education & writing is good enough; I know it is. But it's very frustrating when you send in articles every month and people don't even bother to reply to you. I am not a huge name, but I don't think I'm a nobody either.
                              I hear you. However, I think that you are a voice for natural bodybuilders and research, which is what I highlighted on my email I just sent to the editor. MD needs to realize that most of their readership is not on gear and should publish more science based articles that advocate drug-free bodybuilding, of which you are a prime example. If they realize "hey, people want to see stuff other than drug-filled physiques and content with science" they will search it out, at least hopefully...
                              www.naturaliowamuscle.com
                              www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

I kind of regret saying that now. If I get an article/column in anywhere, I want it to be on my own merits; not because i had a bunch of people write letters. I feel like my education & writing is good enough; I know it is. But it's very frustrating when you send in articles every month and people don't even bother to reply to you. I am not a huge name, but I don't think I'm a nobody either.
                                since when did one's merits, education and writing skills become the primary factor in one's articles being published? Its about who you know and how well you can market in this game, not how well written and how intelligent what you write is. Of course your stuff is good enough layne, shit read through some of the garbage in the mags, its not about content and quality! Its about who you know and how "sexy" your article is. Do what you have to do to get your stuff published, and don't somehow convince yourself that if your fans influenced the execs to get your article printed that you didn't accomplish that....HELLO you had to have done something to get fans in the first place
                                Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                                http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X