Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    well i recommend higher doses of BCAA but not sipping; dosing them at specific times throughout the day
    Hey Layne! Enjoyed the last post on maximum protein absorption because I always wondered where the science behind that came from. Anywho, I saw this post and I was wondering what your take is on Xtend during workouts because I wasn't sure if this post was in regards to the previous post on meal timing or just BCAA's in general?? I tend to sip on it throughout my workout and have noticed being less tired towards the end of my workout, but is this a bad idea?? Thanks for your time, hope all is well.
    - CarpeDiem

Comment

• Layne,

2 Questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Diet Soda when cutting? I have heard mixed reviews, some say its totally fine to drink when cutting and some say to stay away, what do you think?

2. Do you think http://waldenfarms.com/ products are ok to use when cutting? They say that their peanut butter spread and fruit spread is calorie free. What do you think?
      "Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world."

Comment

• Originally posted by GameofInches View Post
        Layne,

2 Questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Diet Soda when cutting? I have heard mixed reviews, some say its totally fine to drink when cutting and some say to stay away, what do you think?

2. Do you think http://waldenfarms.com/ products are ok to use when cutting? They say that their peanut butter spread and fruit spread is calorie free. What do you think?
        1. answered this question at least a dozen times in this one thread. Just a few pages ago. it's fine

2. those are fine, i use them
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Sounds great! Thanks for the help!!
          "Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world."

Comment

• Hi Layne,
            I'm new on the forum. I've read your article about pre contest advice and found it very interesting.
            My question is about a lean mass gaining period. Which ratio of pro/carbs/fats do you suggest in a period like this for an ecto/meso and how many kcals/lbs do you suggest?
            Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by zeneise View Post
              Hi Layne,
              I'm new on the forum. I've read your article about pre contest advice and found it very interesting.
              My question is about a lean mass gaining period. Which ratio of pro/carbs/fats do you suggest in a period like this for an ecto/meso and how many kcals/lbs do you suggest?
              Thanks
              he does not have set macro ratios that everyone should follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by rockhard View Post
                Layne, I recently reread your article " A Unique Combination of Science and Experience...", which is full of great info. Since it was written, have your changed or updated any of your thoughts or protocols on diet or final week prep. I was just curious if your have any new information that could be used along with it.
                I was just about to ask the same thing, Layne. I'm starting a 12-week cut tomorrow and thought I'd try out your approach. Anything different from then (when you wrote the article) to now?

Comment

• Originally posted by ANDROTAZ View Post
                  I was just about to ask the same thing, Layne. I'm starting a 12-week cut tomorrow and thought I'd try out your approach. Anything different from then (when you wrote the article) to now?
                  i probably wouldn't deplete sodium at all. that's what i'd change. I'd also be a tad more agressive on carbing up
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by zeneise View Post
                    Hi Layne,
                    Thanks
                    please read my articles and watch my webcast and read through the thread.

I like helping guys but I can't answer the same questions over and over. I just don't have the time
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Hi Layne,
                      I don't know if my question was just accidentally skipped over, but I just wanted to know if the post about sipping on BCAA refers to BCAA's in general or just in reference to meal timing. Because I sip on Xtend during my workout and just wanted to know if this is a good or bad idea??

Thanks for your time Layne,
                      CarpeDiem

Comment

• yea it was an accident. I know I say this alot but please realize; I get over 150 emails per day, I'm in grad school, I'm trying to plan a wedding, filming a DVD, my show, writing a book, I don't get paid for this thread, I am doing my best to keep up with the questions. Just doing the best I can.

I was referring to people who sip BCAAs throughout the day, sipping during a workout is short term, only about an hour or so, I don't really see a problem with it
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Hey Layne, no worries, sorry if that came off rude lol. Didn't know you were writing a book, can't wait to pick that up when it comes out. Goodluck with all those endeavors and can't wait for the next video of the series on bb.com. Thanks again for your reply Layne, your help is always greatly appreaciated!
                          - CarpeDiem

Comment

• yup no problem
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• If you get a minute to give your input on this one, it would be appreciated.
                              2 studies here on mixed muscle FSR.

Aging does not impair the anabolic response to a protein-rich meal.
                              Symons TB, Schutzler SE, Cocke TL, Chinkes DL, Wolfe RR, Paddon-Jones D.

Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555-1144, USA.

BACKGROUND: Sarcopenia is a debilitating condition afflicting the elderly that may be facilitated by insufficient or ineffectual intake of dietary protein. We previously showed that free-form essential amino acids acutely stimulate muscle protein synthesis in both the young and the elderly. However, the ability of an actual protein-rich food to stimulate anabolism in the young and the elderly has not been explored. OBJECTIVE: We aimed to characterize changes in plasma amino acid concentrations and to quantify muscle protein synthesis in healthy young (41 +/- 8 y old; n = 10) and elderly (70 +/- 5 y old; n = 10) persons after ingestion of a 113-g (4-oz) serving of lean beef. DESIGN: Venous blood samples and vastus lateralis muscle biopsy samples were obtained during a primed (2.0 mumol/kg) constant infusion (0.08 mumol.kg(-1).min(-1)) of l-[ring-(13)C(6)] phenylalanine. Plasma amino acid concentrations were measured and a mixed-muscle fractional synthesis rate (FSR) was calculated during the premeal period and for 5 h after beef ingestion. RESULTS: Mixed-muscle FSR increased by approximately 51% in both the elderly (mean +/- SE measurements: 0.072 +/- 0.004%/h and 0.108 +/- 0.006%/h before and after the meal, respectively) and the young (0.074 +/- 0.005%/h and 0.113 +/- 0.005%/h before and after the meal, respectively) after beef ingestion (P < 0.001). Plasma amino acid concentrations peaked at approximately 100 min after beef ingestion in both age groups but were substantially higher in the elderly (2185 +/- 134 nmol/mL compared with 1403 +/- 96 nmol/mL; P < 0.001). CONCLUSION: Despite differences in the concentration of amino acids in the plasma precursor pool, aging does not impair the ability to acutely synthesize muscle protein after ingestion of a common protein-rich food.

AND

Differential stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in elderly humans following isocaloric ingestion of amino acids or whey protein.
                              Paddon-Jones D, Sheffield-Moore M, Katsanos CS, Zhang XJ, Wolfe RR.

Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, and Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA. djpaddon@utmb.edu

To counteract the debilitating progression of sarcopenia, a protein supplement should provide an energetically efficient anabolic stimulus. We quantified net muscle protein synthesis in healthy elderly individuals (65-79 yrs) following ingestion of an isocaloric intact whey protein supplement (WY; n=8) or an essential amino acid supplement (EAA; n=7). Femoral arterio-venous blood samples and vastus lateralis muscle biopsy samples were obtained during a primed, constant infusion of L-[ring-2H5]phenylalanine. Net phenylalanine uptake and mixed muscle fractional synthetic rate (FSR) were calculated during the post-absorptive period and for 3.5 h following ingestion of 15 g EAA or 15 g whey. After accounting for the residual increase in the intracellular phenylalanine pool, net post-prandial phenylalanine uptake was 53.4+/-9.7 mg phe leg-1 (EAA) and 21.7+/-4.6 mg phe leg-1 (WY), (P<0.05). Postabsorptive FSR values were 0.056+/-0.004% h-1 (EAA) and 0.049+/-0.006% h-1 (WY), (P>0.05). Both supplements stimulated FSR (P<0.05), but the increase was greatest in the EAA group with values of 0.088+/-0.011% h-1 (EAA) and 0.066+/-0.004% h-1 (WY), (P<0.05). While both EAA and WY supplements stimulated muscle protein synthesis, EAAs may provide a more energetically efficient nutritional supplement for elderly individuals.

compared to beef

Mixed-muscle FSR increased by approximately 51% in both the elderly (mean +/- SE measurements: 0.072 +/- 0.004%/h and 0.108 +/- 0.006%/h before and after the meal, respectively) and the young (0.074 +/- 0.005%/h and 0.113 +/- 0.005%/h before and after the meal, respectively) after beef ingestion (P < 0.001).

is mixed muscle FSR increased greater from a beef meal than whey or EAA's? So this is 2 separate studies but is beef showing better muscle protein synthesis with these greater values in FSR rates?

EAA group
                              0.088+/-0.011% h-1
                              Whey group
                              0.066+/-0.004% h-1

Beef Meal (elderly)
                              0.072 +/- 0.004%/h before to 0.108 +/- 0.006%/h after
                              Beef Meal (young)
                              0.074 +/- 0.005%/h before to 0.113 +/- 0.005%/h after

Comment

• you cannot compare FSR rates from seperate studies. There was a study done on this recently that showed qualitative comparisons are ok (changes from fasted to fed) but comparing absolute rates has too much error.

in short, don't compare them. do you know if they all used the same tracer? same infusion/dose protocol? how did the homogenize the tissue? what column did the use for the GCMS?

there are too many variables to make comparisons
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X