Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• happy b-day layne. enjoy it buddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Palumbo's Advocate View Post
      This is totally random, Layne, but have you ever had your IQ tested? I'm sure its way up there. Most members of this board I'm sure would agree that you're the smartest guy here!
      i had it done when i was a kid. I think i was like somewhere around 130. I doubt i'm the smartest guy here. Honestly I never was that gifted. In high school I had to study my ass off; nothing came real easy. When I talk to kids I went to HS with they said they hardly ever studied where I was studying like 4 hours a night in high school. The only thing I really was gifted with was a good work ethic and that's been enough to carry me. People like Newton, Einstein, James Watson and Francis Crick... those are the truly brilliant people. People who have the mental capacity to discover things because they think so far outside the box. The only thing I've ever done is read research, interpret it, and make my on theories based on it. Nothing extraordinary about that.

but I appreciate the compliment.

and thank you all for the birthday well wishes
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        i had it done when i was a kid. I think i was like somewhere around 130. I doubt i'm the smartest guy here. Honestly I never was that gifted. In high school I had to study my ass off; nothing came real easy. When I talk to kids I went to HS with they said they hardly ever studied where I was studying like 4 hours a night in high school. The only thing I really was gifted with was a good work ethic and that's been enough to carry me. People like Newton, Einstein, James Watson and Francis Crick... those are the truly brilliant people. People who have the mental capacity to discover things because they think so far outside the box. The only thing I've ever done is read research, interpret it, and make my on theories based on it. Nothing extraordinary about that.

but I appreciate the compliment.

and thank you all for the birthday well wishes
        That's kinda how I am. But I think having the drive to succeed is far more commendable than simply being born with a gift. Geniuses have no choice whether or not they want to understand a certain concept; it just comes to them. But guys like us, we gotta fight for it bro!
        Myth's training blog:

Comment

• Oh Goddamn, I am sorry... Happy Belated Birthday, Layne!! I did not know

I just found out my grade in Chemistry... I got a 'D+'. Not the best, I know, but it means I do not have to take it again! I think the paper that I wrote on protein saved my grade big time, so I wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction for my research.

Seriously, because of you, I do not have to repeat it, and can move on to my Anatomy/Physiology I class now!!

Comment

• Hey Layne, would fats and carbs combined really cause more fat gain than if one ate the same number of calories, but pro/carb or pro/fat?

thanks bro
            Myth's training blog:

Comment

• Question about nutrition timing

Let me start by wishing you a happy b-day, somewhat belatedly.

In the mornings I get up at 0330 take a protein shake for breakfast (maybe have a slice of whole grain, double fiber bread) and head off to the gym. I do weights and then cardio. Then go to work.

For my post workout protein and creatine, should I stop and rest for 20-40 mins between weights and cardio for supplementing or is it just as effective to continue onto cardio and supplement after the cardio?

Thanks Dustin
              Dustin
              "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
              John Ruskin

Comment

• Originally posted by EMN1/SS View Post

In the mornings I get up at 0330 take a protein shake for breakfast (maybe have a slice of whole grain, double fiber bread) and head off to the gym. I do weights and then cardio. Then go to work.

For my post workout protein and creatine, should I stop and rest for 20-40 mins between weights and cardio for supplementing or is it just as effective to continue onto cardio and supplement after the cardio?

Thanks Dustin
                Layne can correct me if I'm wrong. No need for a meal in between workout and cardio. Just have some BCAA's between the Weight and cardio session then having your post workout drink or meal after the cardio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Palumbo's Advocate View Post
                  Hey Layne, would fats and carbs combined really cause more fat gain than if one ate the same number of calories, but pro/carb or pro/fat?

thanks bro
                  while it is a bad idea to have a high fat & high carb meal together (lots of fatty acids + insulin = very bad for body comp) the idea that you have to totally seperate carbs from fat is nonsense. Proponants of this method claim that insulin will shuttle fatty acids into adipose & while that is true, fatty acids can be taken up by the adipose without insulin as well.

-Layne
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by EMN1/SS View Post

Thanks Dustin
                    well I think you can have a shake precardio if you want
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

while it is a bad idea to have a high fat & high carb meal together (lots of fatty acids + insulin = very bad for body comp) the idea that you have to totally seperate carbs from fat is nonsense. Proponants of this method claim that insulin will shuttle fatty acids into adipose & while that is true, fatty acids can be taken up by the adipose without insulin as well.

-Layne
                      what would "high fat" and "high carb" be considered? most of my meals consist of 2tbsp pb, 45-60g carbs and 35g protein. subjectively i don't consider that high carb or fat but i was just wondering?

Comment

• i think is probably more than i would go with. that's around 16-20g of fat, that's quite a bit
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

i think is probably more than i would go with. that's around 16-20g of fat, that's quite a bit
                          I totally agree with layne here.

50-60 grams of carbs isn't all that high,but when consuming fat approx 18-20 grams with it,you are in a danger zone for storing excess body fat(unless you have the metabolic rate of a jack rabbit).Most I'd consume (fat-wise) with 50 g of carbs would be 7-9 grams of healthy fats.And the carb sources would be very low GI in nature.Lentils,barley..that sort of thing.Sweet potato is like a cheat meal for me.

BTW...belated happy birthday Layne.

~RR

Comment

• thanks!
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• ***(Some debunking on fats and carbs combinations could very well start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorptive_state)

Hi Layne, first I hope the hangover from your Bday is not that bad.

I have a subtle (read analy raping mosquitos) question that kind of clutters my mind:
                              The 5g of BCAAs we take between two protein boluses (separated by ~4 hours), are they meant to:
                              - reduce catabolism?
                              - enhance anabolism?

I know it looks like some nitpicky minutiae but it's got a meaning to me.

Thanks.

Comment

• the idea is 1.5-2 hours is the point at which amino acid levels start to plateau from a meal; so if we give an dose of BCAAs hopefully we deflect plasma levels even further & prevent the leveling off of amino acid levels; thus enhancing synthesis.

-Layne
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X