Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well layne, i'm gonna try ur bulk/cut combo, 6 weeks, then 3, as i have SOME fat i want to lose, but not entirely much, and my body flattens out and i get super weak when i do long cuts. thanks for that idea brotha.

congrats on marriage! she's a beauty man, and from what vids i've seen with you and her, she seems pretty badass! (yes.. i use badass to describe women)

Comment

• Layne, I used the search function but can't find this exact topic addressed, so here goes. (I also started a thread in this section with the below text.)

I've seen lots of discussion on the effects of anabolics on liver enzyme readings. Dave even addressed this (at least once) in his Q&A. But can natties who do NOT use any "supplements" have slightly or moderately high liver enzyme readings due solely to heavy weight training?

All liver enzymes are normal except:
      AST 181 (should be < 30)
      ALT 79 (should also be < 30)

I do NOT have hepatitis and have never had a heart attack or anything close. EKG (ECG) and all other tests come out excellent. I do have hypertension which we are beginning to treat.

I've been referred to a "research team" at a local hospital, and they'll apparently run a whack of tests, but could this be caused by serious lifting? I have a feeling that this is something I'll have to take an active role in managing, because once the tests start and the theories emerge, I could turn into a veritable guinea pig for this "team", which almost certainly will not include serious lifters familiar with the effects of weight training on the body.

My apologies if this has been covered a dozen times, but I can't find any threads that address my specific situation, i.e. nattie lifter, no supps, not a radically high protein intake...

BTW got married myself in October... quite the experience! Congrats to you and yours.
      Psychobilly legend.

Comment

• yes, actually anyone who lifts weights or has a high protein diet will likely have elevated liver enzymes simply from increased turnover. It is nothing to worry about in my opinion, but if you are concerned there are more specific tests your doctor can run.

-Layne
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Hey everyone, I appeared on Ultimate Talk Radio today. My segment was a bit short but I am coming back next week to finish it up. Check it out. You can listen to the show here. I come on at about 43 minutes.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ultimat...alk-Radio-1708
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            yes, actually anyone who lifts weights or has a high protein diet will likely have elevated liver enzymes simply from increased turnover. It is nothing to worry about in my opinion, but if you are concerned there are more specific tests your doctor can run.

-Layne
            Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply, Layne. Could you point to any articles or studies that I can bring with me to the doctor's? I've found in the past that things can get a bit out of hand--they love the challenge of solving problems, and this can take time. Time that I don't have.
            Psychobilly legend.

Comment

• I would check out my article here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne38.htm
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Thanks!
                Psychobilly legend.

Comment

Hey everyone, I appeared on Ultimate Talk Radio today. My segment was a bit short but I am coming back next week to finish it up. Check it out. You can listen to the show here. I come on at about 43 minutes.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ultimat...alk-Radio-1708
                  cool show, you sounded very professional, good interview...little surprised at how openly racist the comment from one of the hosts about the race of the bankrobber in the segment previous to yours was lol

"so was this bank robber white, or.....you know"
                  "no he was a white guy"
                  "what? you're lying"
                  Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                  http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• layne, quick question, not really training related.. are you friends with that little weiner nick?.. based on what i saw in ur vid he just seems like.. someone you'd want to kick the shit out of..

Comment

• you have to remember that you only see what the cameras want you to see... if they want to make someone look like a bad guy... they usually can. Nick and I aren't what I would consider good friends, but we have no problems with each other.
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Layne -

What do you think of Accelerade? Is there any scientific support for its claim that the 4:1 Carb to Protein ratio is optimal for post-workout recovery?

Dustin
                        Dustin
                        "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
                        John Ruskin

Comment

• Layne, how is your Phd progress coming along? Are you absolutely flooded with homework and labwork 24/7?
                          Myth's training blog:

Comment

• Originally posted by EMN1/SS View Post
                            Layne -

What do you think of Accelerade? Is there any scientific support for its claim that the 4:1 Carb to Protein ratio is optimal for post-workout recovery?

Dustin
                            somewhat, but their drink only has 9g pro & 36g carbs; wheras the studies used 25g pro & 100g carbs so the ratio is right but the #s aren't
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by The Advocate View Post
                              Layne, how is your Phd progress coming along? Are you absolutely flooded with homework and labwork 24/7?
                              i am flooded but progress has been slow. i probably have 3 years left. people just have no idea how much goes into a phd, it's really nuts
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

i am flooded but progress has been slow. i probably have 3 years left. people just have no idea how much goes into a phd, it's really nuts
                                Bit of a dumb question...but what exactly DOES go into a PhD?!

Well, your one anyway? I've been meaning to ask that question for a while but was trying to keep any Q's training/nutrition related.

Comment