Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well first is the class time. i think it's around 30-40 credit hours, most of that is done. Then you have to take a qualifying exam just to be eligible to do your prelims. The qualifying exam is basically an oral exam where you get grilled on your knowledge of nutrition & metabolism for about 3 hours by 4 professors. I passed that last January, according to my committee I was one of the best they had done in the last few years so that made me feel good.

Now onto your research. This is the crux of your PhD.. normally it takes about 4-5 experiments in order to have enough data to generate 3-4 peer reviewed studies and a few abstracts. Once you have done about 2-3 studies you are usually required to do your prelims. A prelim is basically a short presentation of the research you have done thus far and then you are grilled about it by another team of professors and they decide if you have enough quality data to submit a thesis. You only get 2 shots to pass your prelims. I have not done mine yet as I have been stuck for a while working up my 2nd experiment which is becomming a pain in the ass and the bane of my existence. Once I get it finished (hopefully) I will take my prelims. After that I have to finish up my research. Then I have to defend my full thesis against that same team of professors. Once that is done I have to compile my data and deposit my thesis to obtain my PhD
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• By 'depositing' your thesis, does that mean you have to be published in a professional journal?
      I have a friend who has a PhD in Virology and she had to bet published in a few places before she got her full blown PhD.
      Assistant to the regional manager.
      Iron8 approved

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        well first is the class time. i think it's around 30-40 credit hours, most of that is done. Then you have to take a qualifying exam just to be eligible to do your prelims. The qualifying exam is basically an oral exam where you get grilled on your knowledge of nutrition & metabolism for about 3 hours by 4 professors. I passed that last January, according to my committee I was one of the best they had done in the last few years so that made me feel good.

Now onto your research. This is the crux of your PhD.. normally it takes about 4-5 experiments in order to have enough data to generate 3-4 peer reviewed studies and a few abstracts. Once you have done about 2-3 studies you are usually required to do your prelims. A prelim is basically a short presentation of the research you have done thus far and then you are grilled about it by another team of professors and they decide if you have enough quality data to submit a thesis. You only get 2 shots to pass your prelims. I have not done mine yet as I have been stuck for a while working up my 2nd experiment which is becomming a pain in the ass and the bane of my existence. Once I get it finished (hopefully) I will take my prelims. After that I have to finish up my research. Then I have to defend my full thesis against that same team of professors. Once that is done I have to compile my data and deposit my thesis to obtain my PhD
        All I can say is ..... wow

That is so much work - especially after having done your BSc...I think that post may have given a little more of an in-sight to the not-so-patient of the poster's here.

I just wanna say thanks again dude for taking time out to do all this stuff. And when working with me on my bulking diet back in August you got back to e-mails real quick and even now though im not working with you as such you still take the time to reply pretty damn swiftly and still manage to encourage me - so thanks! Roll on contest prep in March (I know I'm going to regret saying that probably around mid-may ha ha

Last Q, what have you chosen as your experiments?

Adam

Comment

you have to remember that you only see what the cameras want you to see... if they want to make someone look like a bad guy... they usually can. Nick and I aren't what I would consider good friends, but we have no problems with each other.
          touche... regardless, you gotta compete against that guy within the next couple years and destroy him, he looks like he weighs 130 lbs and he's braggin bout how he has pro wins, and you dont..

kill him! (on stage.. then literally)

Comment

• Hey Layne,
            I'm just getting into BB seriously, especially the nutrition/sup aspect.
            First off I wanted to say thanks for your time in preparing your FAQ!
            Great info based on science is key IMO (I'm a scientist too brother, Geology). But I feel like I wasted $ and time in the past on sups that aren't proven or I used good the ones improperly.
            Anyway I found your FAQ so enjoyable I read 2/3 of it in a sitting so I hope you didnt touch on this. Heres my question.
            "Is it true that red meat will cause an insulin responce, if so how much as compared to carbs, and is this no carb insulin source going to stop ketosis?" (im not doin a ketonic diet just currious) Can you please explain this mechanism or direct me to a scientifically valid answer.
            Thanks in advance and props on doing it natural.
            Dan
            Chicago, IL

Comment

• Originally posted by Dton83 View Post
              Hey Layne,
              I'm just getting into BB seriously, especially the nutrition/sup aspect.
              First off I wanted to say thanks for your time in preparing your FAQ!
              Great info based on science is key IMO (I'm a scientist too brother, Geology). But I feel like I wasted $ and time in the past on sups that aren't proven or I used good the ones improperly.
              Anyway I found your FAQ so enjoyable I read 2/3 of it in a sitting so I hope you didnt touch on this. Heres my question.
              "Is it true that red meat will cause an insulin responce, if so how much as compared to carbs, and is this no carb insulin source going to stop ketosis?" (im not doin a ketonic diet just currious) Can you please explain this mechanism or direct me to a scientifically valid answer.
              Thanks in advance and props on doing it natural.
              Dan
              Chicago, IL
              Not Layne, but I will try.
              Almost anything you eat will give a bit of an insulin response. The amino acid leucine is known to do this as well. Red meat has a higher leucine content than say chicken.

nothing to worry about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rzilla View Post
                Not Layne, but I will try.
                Almost anything you eat will give a bit of an insulin response. The amino acid leucine is known to do this as well. Red meat has a higher leucine content than say chicken.

nothing to worry about.
                That would be the monophasic release of stored insulin however no associated pancreatic production would occur. Im not that smart but Laney is. In responce to a question on phenylananine and arginine stimulating insulin secretion, Layne said,

"Yes they cause the body to secrete stored insulin. It is different from a carb induced secretion however as carbohydrates cause a biphasic release. 1st the dumping of stored insulin and then the pancreas manufactures insulin until the glucose is cleared. Arginine, phenylalanine, & leucine only cause a monophasic response of dumping of stored insulin, but no increase in pancreatic production of insulin like carbs do.''

I hope Im not taking this out of context.
                Thanks in advance.

Comment

• you both are correct
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• This past weekend I attended Dr. Joe's fantasy camp to help the film crew conduct interviews (the DVD of the camp will be available later this year). 3 time world champ Dave Goodin was there, as well as 2006 world champ Jon Harris, 2007 world champ Jim Cordova, Pros Duke Bell & Mary Bell, and of course Dr. Joe. It was very motivating getting to hang around 3 world champions and so I was chomping at the bit to train. Unfortunately I have been traveling 2 and a half weeks straight and got sick on sunday and couldn't get out of bed Monday & tuesday; today I work up and felt better and said "F*ck it, I am going to do this." I know I have less than perfect symmetry, If I'm going to beat people with better symmetry than me, I have to have better workouts on days I feel like shit than they do on days they feel great. So I went in today and went for PRs on front squat

Hit 2 sets of 5 with 415 which was a PR. the 4th rep of each set was very tough, for the 5th rep I just dug deep and willed myself through it. Also hit a PR on leg curl: stack + 5 lbs for 5 sets of 5.

I am completely exhausted now as that took everything I had, but damn; what a good workout.

-Layne "Do you believe in love... LIKE I BELIEVE IN PAIN?"
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

This past weekend I attended Dr. Joe's fantasy camp to help the film crew conduct interviews (the DVD of the camp will be available later this year). 3 time world champ Dave Goodin was there, as well as 2006 world champ Jon Harris, 2007 world champ Jim Cordova, Pros Duke Bell & Mary Bell, and of course Dr. Joe. It was very motivating getting to hang around 3 world champions and so I was chomping at the bit to train. Unfortunately I have been traveling 2 and a half weeks straight and got sick on sunday and couldn't get out of bed Monday & tuesday; today I work up and felt better and said "F*ck it, I am going to do this." I know I have less than perfect symmetry, If I'm going to beat people with better symmetry than me, I have to have better workouts on days I feel like shit than they do on days they feel great. So I went in today and went for PRs on front squat

Hit 2 sets of 5 with 415 which was a PR. the 4th rep of each set was very tough, for the 5th rep I just dug deep and willed myself through it. Also hit a PR on leg curl: stack + 5 lbs for 5 sets of 5.

I am completely exhausted now as that took everything I had, but damn; what a good workout.

-Layne "Do you believe in love... LIKE I BELIEVE IN PAIN?"
                      cool...awesome pr man, keep up the solid work...and as to the quote....I don't really know what that means...but it sounds hardcore lol
                      Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                      http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• whats ure opinion on post workout stretching??...ne comments on the DC style extreme stretching...
                        www.myspace.com/bucksweep85
                        "Insane is what the lazy call the commited!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Quelly View Post
                          cool...awesome pr man, keep up the solid work...and as to the quote....I don't really know what that means...but it sounds hardcore lol
                          415 x 5 on front squats is crazy! You're always adding a PR every time I look! Like Quelly said, I don't don't fully understand your quote, but I got chills reading it because it sounded pretty hardcore

Comment

• it's from a song by Seether
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

it's from a song by Seether
                              EMBRACE THIS MOMENT.. REMEMBER
                              WE ARE ETERNAL
                              ALL THIS PAIN IS AN ILLUSION

i live by that

Comment

• wow, that PHD sounds really intense

could you please post an outline of a typical day for you? I'm always interested in seeing how successful people manage their time

Comment

Working...
                                X