Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7:30-8:00: wakeup fix breakfast & walk the dog
    8:00-8:45: answer emails
    8:45-9:00: bus to lab
    9:00-1:00 lab work
    1:00-1:45: lunch & answer more emails
    1:45-4:30: lab work
    4:30-4:45: go home, usually answer emails using my phone
    4:45-5:30: walk dog & fix preworkout meal
    5:30-5:45: go to gym
    5:45-7:30: workout, usually chat with a few friends for 15 minutes afterwards
    7:30-7:45: go home
    7:45-8:00: fix dinner
    8:00-9:00 dinner & watch TV with Isabel
    9:00-11:00: study & work on misc stuff for lab, grant writing, research, etc
    11:00-12:00 answer emails and eat pre bed meal

usually wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom & have a protein bar & some BCAAs before going back to bed.
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Dton83 View Post
      That would be the monophasic release of stored insulin however no associated pancreatic production would occur. Im not that smart but Laney is. In responce to a question on phenylananine and arginine stimulating insulin secretion, Layne said,

"Yes they cause the body to secrete stored insulin. It is different from a carb induced secretion however as carbohydrates cause a biphasic release. 1st the dumping of stored insulin and then the pancreas manufactures insulin until the glucose is cleared. Arginine, phenylalanine, & leucine only cause a monophasic response of dumping of stored insulin, but no increase in pancreatic production of insulin like carbs do.''

I hope Im not taking this out of context.
      Thanks in advance.
      Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      you both are correct

Hi Layne,
      Would you by any chance have stumbled across the paper speaking about BCAA's insulin monophasic response?
      I'd be so glad to read this.

Congrats on the front squats PRs by the way, seeing under which conditions they were obtained is motivationnal to say the least.

Paul.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        7:30-8:00: wakeup fix breakfast & walk the dog
        8:00-8:45: answer emails
        8:45-9:00: bus to lab
        9:00-1:00 lab work
        1:00-1:45: lunch & answer more emails
        1:45-4:30: lab work
        4:30-4:45: go home, usually answer emails using my phone
        4:45-5:30: walk dog & fix preworkout meal
        5:30-5:45: go to gym
        5:45-7:30: workout, usually chat with a few friends for 15 minutes afterwards
        7:30-7:45: go home
        7:45-8:00: fix dinner
        8:00-9:00 dinner & watch TV with Isabel
        9:00-11:00: study & work on misc stuff for lab, grant writing, research, etc
        11:00-12:00 answer emails and eat pre bed meal

usually wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom & have a protein bar & some BCAAs before going back to bed.
        you're 8:00-9:00 has to be awesome..

and whats your pre-bed meal look like when bulking / when cutting / pre-contest

Comment

• Where does the body store insulin Layne?
          www.ironbrendan.com

Comment

• Beta-cells of the pancreas
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Layne I don't see a job listed anywhere in there

do you just live off of your prep coaching income?
              MorphogenNutrition.com
              Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• yes

that and I get a stipend for my grad research, but it's not exactly a stellar income lol

I'm not hurting for money but I sure as hell ain't rich either
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• I have a full time job and client work and I'm not rich either, so I feel ya on that one

how did you acquire that stipend?
                  MorphogenNutrition.com
                  Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• layne how would i stop burning up muscle during a hard mma,grappling or thai boxing session?would i ingest more calories b4 training or more BCAA"s??

Comment

• Hey Lane! Your daily schedule looks pretty lazy, you should look at picking up a full time job to kill the time or sumthin!

Anyways Lane, quick question for ya. I just started personal training a new client who was obviously trained beyond incorrectly previously. The first exercise I took him to for our Leg day was Squats and for some reason somebody told him to squat on his toes and his knees were about a foot over his toes. I told him to re-rack it after one rep because I was scared he might blow an ACL. Another reason I think he has the tendancy to be on his toes is from years of basketball, where you're trained to be on the balls of your feet at all time.

So I tried to teach him how to squat correctly, but I'm having incredible trouble trying to get him to go down even 3/4s of the way to parallel. All that I did was free squats without the bar to get him used to the motion and that helped somewhat. Also, he complains about constant knee issues from what I'm guessing constant bad squatting with all the pressure put on his knees. He did Hack Squats and Single Leg Squats fine, do you have any other recommendations for exercises to help build the muscles that will allow him to squat correctly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Lane, as I feel squats are the most important exercise in the gym.

Sorry about the mispelling LAYNE , I was just cracking up the other day when I went by your bodyspace and saw someone spell it LANE, and imagined you cringing at the mere sight. Honestly people lol. Hope all is well and the grad research isn't toooo hard, if it makes ya feel better, I know how to spell your name

- CarpeDiem

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem87 View Post
                        Hey Lane! Your daily schedule looks pretty lazy, you should look at picking up a full time job to kill the time or sumthin!

Anyways Lane, quick question for ya. I just started personal training a new client who was obviously trained beyond incorrectly previously. The first exercise I took him to for our Leg day was Squats and for some reason somebody told him to squat on his toes and his knees were about a foot over his toes. I told him to re-rack it after one rep because I was scared he might blow an ACL. Another reason I think he has the tendancy to be on his toes is from years of basketball, where you're trained to be on the balls of your feet at all time.

So I tried to teach him how to squat correctly, but I'm having incredible trouble trying to get him to go down even 3/4s of the way to parallel. All that I did was free squats without the bar to get him used to the motion and that helped somewhat. Also, he complains about constant knee issues from what I'm guessing constant bad squatting with all the pressure put on his knees. He did Hack Squats and Single Leg Squats fine, do you have any other recommendations for exercises to help build the muscles that will allow him to squat correctly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Lane, as I feel squats are the most important exercise in the gym.

Sorry about the mispelling LAYNE , I was just cracking up the other day when I went by your bodyspace and saw someone spell it LANE, and imagined you cringing at the mere sight. Honestly people lol. Hope all is well and the grad research isn't toooo hard, if it makes ya feel better, I know how to spell your name

- CarpeDiem
                        not layne...but try this

put a block under him, something about 6-12 inches off the ground, tell him to initiate the squat with his hips and butt, tell him to push his butt behind him as far as he can before even bending his knees, also tell him to be able to wiggle his toes the whole time, this will force him to stay on his heels, lastly tell him to keep his shoulders over his pelvis as best as possible, have him fully sit on the block, not touch or bounce on it, a good second on the box and then driving through his heels without rocking his upper body forward, to stand back up.

Start there until perfect, then do simple things like have him hold dumbells on each shoulder until he's up to like 25's, then do the same thing on a smith or in a rack until he's doing a decent amount of weight before he starts doing squats without a box.

Excellent way to reteach somebody with a bad squat foundation or teach someone how to squat properly. 100% success rate on teaching the squat since I started this method.
                        Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                        http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem87 View Post
                          Hey Lane! Your daily schedule looks pretty lazy, you should look at picking up a full time job to kill the time or sumthin!

- CarpeDiem
                          people call me lane lance lenny, etc. It does kind of piss me off, it's just kind of disrespecful lol.

I would try to teach him front squats, probably be easier for him to get lower on his squats
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Hey Layne, I told Legend that it wouldn't matter that whey gets heated, because it will eventually become denatured anyway in stomach acid during digestion. This was his response:

"Then why on God's green earth would you want to denature it twice?

Unless you are entering a contest to see how many amino acids you can destroy in your protein before it gets to the small intestine.....LOL

If that was the case then why don't companys that make WPI just denature it to begin with. What would be the purpose of cold microfiltration to raise % of bioavailable protein. What would be the purpose of buying the highest % and purest protein.

If you cook whey protein your gonna destroy some of the aminos. How many? That depends on how high the heat and how long you cook it. So not all the aminos get destroyed, but then once you eat it, stomach acids during digestion will destroy even more aminos. It only makes sense to me that, the more aminos you ingest intact, the more aminos that will survive the digestion process, the more aminos your body will receive.
                            "

Your thoughts?

Thanks
                            Myth's training blog:

Comment

• LOL. denaturing a protein has nothing to do with 'destroying amino acids' what the hell is he talking about. Your stomach has 6 molar (super high concentrated) hydrochloric acid, if that doesn't destroy the amino acids, then no way in hell heating does. Amino acids are usually very very stable, you would have to do something very drastic to get them to break down.

'denaturing it twice'?. I take it he does not understand the meaning of 'denaturing' It means the protein unfolds. If it unfolds once, it can't unfold a second time unless it refolded LOL.

-Layne
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Lenny lmao, now that's just uncalled for!

Good call on the front squats never though of that,
                                Thanks!

- CarpeDiem

Comment

Working...
                                X