Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i would do 5g before, 10g after and sip gatorade/vitargo during the workout
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Early A.M. Training/Carb Intake

Layne, I am currently dieting for a Spring contest, with carbs at 125-200g per day, with two weekly 300-350g days. Due to work, some days I have to wake up at 0320 and train at 0430. How would you suggest I manage my pre/post workout carbs, as I am used to training in the late afternoon. I am currently on or slightly ahead of schedule on my conditioning based on my past experience. My main concern is maintaining my lean mass.

Thanks for your help.
      " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

Comment

• Layne: Ive posted this around the board and thought Id get your take on it too as I value your opinion on natural bodybuilding.

Just curious when progress stalls on your pre contest diet, do you pull carbs first or some healthy fats. I wouldnt take all healthy fats out, but I am having them pretty much every meal (1/2 tbsp of Cod oil and up to 1tbsp on some meals) other than post training. Was thinking of taking some out first, then carbs later.

What is your opinion???

It was recommended the only change I make right now is to take my post workout carbs out and just rely on a protein shake and glutamine, but Im not real keen on that. Since Im eating healthy oils 5 x per day up to 1bts I thought Id take them out where I am also eating carbs and keep in my post workout carbs.

Comment

• it is really very very individual; I don't have a set protocol for how I do that sort of thing, it really comes with time of me getting to learn their metabolisms and what they respond best to. Take tommy for instance. when he was 200 lbs he was completely shredded on top and quads but had no hamstrings. Most people would have said he was ready and that he just genetically could not get striated glutes or seperated hamstrings. I know that's bullshit and just had to get him leaner. but if we took out too many calories I knew his upper body would flatten out drastically. So what I did was keep his calories the same and increased his high intensity interval cardio almost by double for several reasons, 1) high intensity cardio has been shown to be better than moderate/low intensity cardio in targeting lower body fat; probably due to the sympathetic nervous system response & adrenaline release. 2) high intensity cardio increases mitochondrial density in the area worked, thus yielding a greater fat burning capacity in that area. So that's what we did... 6 weeks later he's 192 with straited glutes & hamstrings and we didn't ever take his carbs below 200 except for the last 2 weeks.

That's just one example and I would do a dozen different things for a dozen different people in a dozen different scenarios. I believe that's why I have success... I don't do cookie cutter crap. I work with the person's individual metabolism... I don't rely on some BS formula
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            it is really very very individual; I don't have a set protocol for how I do that sort of thing, it really comes with time of me getting to learn their metabolisms and what they respond best to. Take tommy for instance. when he was 200 lbs he was completely shredded on top and quads but had no hamstrings. Most people would have said he was ready and that he just genetically could not get striated glutes or seperated hamstrings. I know that's bullshit and just had to get him leaner. but if we took out too many calories I knew his upper body would flatten out drastically. So what I did was keep his calories the same and increased his high intensity interval cardio almost by double for several reasons, 1) high intensity cardio has been shown to be better than moderate/low intensity cardio in targeting lower body fat; probably due to the sympathetic nervous system response & adrenaline release. 2) high intensity cardio increases mitochondrial density in the area worked, thus yielding a greater fat burning capacity in that area. So that's what we did... 6 weeks later he's 192 with straited glutes & hamstrings and we didn't ever take his carbs below 200 except for the last 2 weeks.

That's just one example and I would do a dozen different things for a dozen different people in a dozen different scenarios. I believe that's why I have success... I don't do cookie cutter crap. I work with the person's individual metabolism... I don't rely on some BS formula
            Thanks bro, good enough answer for me. Thats my problem, too. Legs, upper body looks lean, but legs always behind. I appreciate the information. Im doing HIIT in the mornings, maybe what I need is to start incorporating some after working out too, rather than cutting calories crazily.

Thanks,

Ss

Comment

• HIIT cardio kicks my ass! I have never done it before until I started with Layne a few weeks ago. I think it will be benficial compared to the other cardio types I was doing my last prep.

Comment

• Hey Layne,
                I was reading through that FAQ put together for all the questions you've been asked and I came across the Pro-Oxidant post...

"What they don't realize is that by taking too much of certain vitamins and minerals you can actually get many negative effects and in the case of vitamin C, if you take too much it can actually act as a pro-oxidant instead of an anti-oxidant. More is not better, better is better."

Well I was reading on the bb.com forum and a post came up that pro-oxidation isn't actually as bad as it is made out to be...

Understanding and Modulating Aging Volume 1067 published May 2006
                Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1067: 47?55 (2006). doi: 10.1196/annals.1354.008
                Copyright ? 2006 by the New York Academy of Sciences
                description | purchase volume purchase this volume

Cellular Redox Regulation and Prooxidant Signaling Systems

A New Perspective on the Free Radical Theory of Aging
                ANTHONY W. LINNANE AND HAYDEN EASTWOOD

Centre for Molecular Biology and Medicine, Epworth Medical Centre, Richmond, (Melbourne) Victoria 3121, Australia

Key Words: coenzyme Q10 ? redox poise ? gene regulation ? metabolic regulation ? hydrogen peroxide ? prooxidants ? antioxidants ? aging

Address for correspondence: Anthony W. Linnane, Centre for Molecular Biology and Medicine, Epworth Medical Centre, 185?187 Hoddle Street, Richmond, Victoria 3121, Australia. Voice: +61-3-9426-4200; fax: +61-3-9426-4201. e-mail:
                tlinnane@cmbm.com.au

The overarching role of coenzyme Q10 in gene regulation, bioenergy formation, cellular redox poise regulation, and hydrogen peroxide formation is presented. Coenzyme Q10 has a central role acting as a prooxidant in the generation of H2O2. Contrary to the dogma that superoxide and H2O2 formation are highly deleterious to cell survival this premise is rejected. Data are discussed that continuous superoxide and hydrogen peroxide formation are essential for normal cell function and that they play a major role in subcellular redox state modulation. It is the prooxidant activity of the so-called antioxidants that may be responsible for previously claimed benefits for high doses of oxido-reduction nutritional supplements such as alpha lipoic acid and coenzyme Q10. Oxygen-free radical formation is essential for the biological function and is not a direct causation of the mammalian aging process; aging is a multisystem stochastic process.

Is Pro-Oxidation only harmful in certain instances then? I'm kind of confused on the whole standpoint. I mean it makes sense like you said that too much of an anti-oxidant is a bad thing, but according to this post it is a good thing for certain nutritional supplements. The main post on the bb.com forum was about the pro-oxidation of vitamin C and at what doses does it become a negative instead of a positive.

Thanks again for your time Layne!

Comment

• some pro-oxidation is required yes... absolutely. balance is everything. my point is overdoing anti-oxidants will certainly throw you out of a healthy balance
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Have you ever cut protein in the middle of a prep?

I only ask because I typed my foods into fitday.com and my protein is at 372 and my carbs at 108 and fats were at 74. I was thinking that protein is too high. Id like to bring the protein down to 316, fats to 55 and up carbs slightly to 121 (thatd be pretty close to 50/20/30), but I dont want to completely screw myself. Im at 155 lbs and 5.7% on a 5 site test. The protein just seems way to high and Ive never dropped protein during a prep, but my instincts are telling me its too high and could lead to bodyfat storage and just excess calories I dont need while trying to get lean. I would think 316 grams would support someone at 155 with the other macros Ive presented.

I realize you cant tell me definitively to do this, just wondering if in general youve ever dont that, rather than taking from the carbs right away.

Thanks,

Ss

Comment

• yes i have cut it and you have way more than you'll ever need
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                        yes i have cut it and you have way more than you'll ever need
                        Yep, I figured as much..gonna cut it down to 315, and drop the fats like I said, and up the carbs slightly. Still a drop in 330 cals.

I appreciate your input.

Comment

• http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/insidethelife16.htm
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• GREAT episode Layne! I don't mean to sound too girly, but I got a little teary eyed at the end of the episode.....the music that went along with it added a great finishing touch too. It was exactly the inspiration I needed after a hard day. Thank you.
                            "You're either in or you're out, there's no such thing as life in between."

Comment

• layne. what's your take on that "mariusz" push press
                              start off like ur gonna do a regular back squat, but instead, its a push press movement, the bar drops back down behind neck, and repeat..??

Comment

• Originally posted by NowYourDeadSon View Post
                                layne. what's your take on that "mariusz" push press
                                start off like ur gonna do a regular back squat, but instead, its a push press movement, the bar drops back down behind neck, and repeat..??
                                I cringe for your shoulder joints.

Comment

Working...
                                X