Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne - I think the powerlifting is a great idea....get the competitive fire out in you! I look forward to seeing your success.
    "You're either in or you're out, there's no such thing as life in between."

Comment

• Originally posted by ah24 View Post
      Go for it Layne!

How would your training change up for it or havent you thought that far yet?

Just dont you be converting from BBing to PLing completely!!
      oh no, the powerlifting training will be a supplement to my bodybuilding training
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Layne you're one strong dude. I hope you tear up the power lifting and then quit BB'ing so I never have to compete against you..haha.
        NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          depends... if they have a lot of leg mass, I will cut their kcals decently low, if they don't have a lot of leg mass to spare then i will not cut kcals so much but have them doing more upper body based cardio like boxing, medicine ball throws, or rowing machine cardio
          What type of throws for the medicine ball? And do you recomend doing a HIIT workout with the boxing and rowing machine?

Comment

well some news tonight. My competitive spirit has really been weighing on me lately. I have at least about another 1.5-2 years before i step onstage again and I've really been aching to compete. So I have been thinking of testing natural raw powerlifting. I conservatively looked at my lifts and checked out where i would place... ends up I would be around top 25 nationally with my lifts. So tonight I decided to go in and just go nice and easy and see about what my squat one rep max was. I have not regularly done back squats in over a year now; been doing only front squats. My personal record on squats was 455 for 3 (not great reps) so I said if I hit 455 for 1 i'd be happy.

So I warm up and start singles

405 X 1 easy
            then 455 X 1 was even easier than 405

So I decide to go for 475 for a single. This is more weight than I've ever had on the bar before. I hit that and it felt even better than 455.

So obviously I have to go for 495 (5 plates). This is again more weight than I've ever had on the bar. I get under the bar, walk it out, go down almost too far (Isabel said my ass was near my ankles) as I'm trying to squat to parallel to maximize quad involvement (my glutes & hams are big enough) and press it up no problem. ALMOST 500 LBS FOR ME! I was so excited. Especially after not squatting for a year! I think realistically I can get my squat around 550-575 by fall for a meet.

My deadlift PR is 545 (and that was after doing 405 for 5 on front squats) so I feel I could probably get near 600 lbs for deads.

My best bench is 315 for 5-6 so I think I could be around 350 on that. So I'm really excited, now I have a goal and I am going to make it happen!

-Layne
            That is awesome bro! Your what every natty should strive to be bro "as a warrior". good luck!
            Natural Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• You would be Top 25 Nationaly if you compete in the 242Lb Class but if you do the 220 it would be top 10.

Awsome, you are one strong MOFO!

Comment

• Originally posted by Latinmuscle View Post
                You would be Top 25 Nationaly if you compete in the 242Lb Class but if you do the 220 it would be top 10.

what are the totals for the national level?
                MorphogenNutrition.com
                Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                  what are the totals for the national level?

2007 Total Rankings
                  Weight Class: 220 lb

1 1620 Robert Samsa 2007 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships West Melbourne FL

2 1530 Jake Impastato 2007 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships West Melbourne FL

3 1460 Woody Leonard 2007 National Powerlifting Championships Richmond VA

4 1390 Steve Ryder 2007 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships West Melbourne FL

5 1385 Matt Makara 2007 National Powerlifting Championships Richmond VA

6 1360 Bret Carter 2007 Nebraska State Powerlifting Championships Omaha NE

7 1344 Carlton Shedrick New England Powerlifting and Strict Curl Championships Barre VT

8 1284 Garrett Graves New England Powerlifting and Strict Curl Championships Barre VT

9 1275 Dustin Holt 2007 Tri-State Powerlifting Championships Martin's Ferry OH

10 1275 Max Kleiboeker Midwest Powerlifting & Bench Press Championships Mount Vernon IL

2007 Total Rankings
                  Weight Class: 242 lb

1 1780 James Jacobs 2007 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships West Melbourne FL

2 1730 Michael Eaton 2007 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships West Melbourne FL

3 1660 Nick Hammer 2007 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships West Melbourne FL

4 1531 John McClaren 2007 Nebraska State Powerlifting Championships Omaha NE

5 1450 Erik Frank 2007 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships West Melbourne FL

6 1435 Nick Ball Midwest Powerlifting & Bench Press Championships Mount Vernon IL

7 1435 George Shreve 2007 National Powerlifting Championships Richmond VA
                  8 1425 Shawn Jones 2007 100% RAW World Powerlifting Championships West Melbourne FL

9 1400 James Storch 100% Raw/ADAU Combined Meet Johnson City NY

10 1355 Ben Hopkins 2007 North Carolina Teenage State Powerlifting Championships Currituck NC

Comment

• Do you have a raw contest in mind?
                    www.ironbrendan.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Latinmuscle View Post
                      You would be Top 25 Nationaly if you compete in the 242Lb Class but if you do the 220 it would be top 10.

i meant top 25 nationally in all the orgs combined.

but doesn't matter til I do it in contest... until then i'm just talking smack... time to back it up
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

i meant top 25 nationally in all the orgs combined.

but doesn't matter til I do it in contest... until then i'm just talking smack... time to back it up
                        Good luck with everything!! You have a full plate with marriage, PHD, bb, work and now powerlifting. Whats next UFC?

Comment

• ha, no right now i'll settle for grappling with my buddies who fight MMA. They beat the shit out of me LOL
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• hey layne...i love your column and respect your knowledge.....out of curiousity, how strong were you when you first began lifting....how big were you....I feel like I have good genetics and determination to be very strong and defined, without steroid use....i just am curious as to how long it may take to become truly strong....Im 18 with a year and a half of serious training and eating.....My lifts are just not that high yet and it concerns me, my bench 1rm is 225 but I still struggle in the upper portion of the lift, my squat 3rm is 315, and my deadlift max was 405......I feel like they are sticking points as opposed to early milestones....how do i get above these lifts while still doing bodybuilding style training....for instance... i look much more athletic and strong then I really am.....stupid lankynesss..

Comment

• well the first time i ever picked up a barbell i benched 85 lbs lol. for a measuring stick for you, when i was 18 years old I did the indiana state bench press & squat championships. At 180 lbs I benched 275 (had done 305 previously but missed on both attempts at the meet) and I squatted 325 (pathetic) but managed 5th place in my weight class.

I honestly think you are doing fine. As far as building muscle & strength I encourage you to watch my episodes where I talk about my workout and read my FAQ. My power/hypertrophy adaptive training is a great combo of strength training & hypertrophy training
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

well some news tonight. My competitive spirit has really been weighing on me lately. I have at least about another 1.5-2 years before i step onstage again and I've really been aching to compete. So I have been thinking of testing natural raw powerlifting. I conservatively looked at my lifts and checked out where i would place... ends up I would be around top 25 nationally with my lifts. So tonight I decided to go in and just go nice and easy and see about what my squat one rep max was. I have not regularly done back squats in over a year now; been doing only front squats. My personal record on squats was 455 for 3 (not great reps) so I said if I hit 455 for 1 i'd be happy.

So I warm up and start singles

405 X 1 easy
                                then 455 X 1 was even easier than 405

So I decide to go for 475 for a single. This is more weight than I've ever had on the bar before. I hit that and it felt even better than 455.

So obviously I have to go for 495 (5 plates). This is again more weight than I've ever had on the bar. I get under the bar, walk it out, go down almost too far (Isabel said my ass was near my ankles) as I'm trying to squat to parallel to maximize quad involvement (my glutes & hams are big enough) and press it up no problem. ALMOST 500 LBS FOR ME! I was so excited. Especially after not squatting for a year! I think realistically I can get my squat around 550-575 by fall for a meet.

My deadlift PR is 545 (and that was after doing 405 for 5 on front squats) so I feel I could probably get near 600 lbs for deads.

My best bench is 315 for 5-6 so I think I could be around 350 on that. So I'm really excited, now I have a goal and I am going to make it happen!

-Layne
                                finally listening to what I was saying before eh?

powerlifting is a lot of fun man, you'll get hooked!
                                Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                                http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X