Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i'll be honest, i have not looked into it enough to comment on it
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

    Comment


    • ok, had the first day of trying out my max bench. My personal best ever was 315 for 6 about 3 years ago. I haven't really seriously benched in about a year. I figured I would work to 315 for a single and then go as long as I felt comfortable so here's how it went

      285 X 3
      315 X 1 (easy)
      335 X 1 (at this point my music went off and I didn't have batteries with me so I said... hell with it... I can't use them at a meet anyway, so let's go to war without em')
      345 X 1 (easy)
      355 X 1 (kind of tough but still felt good)
      365 X 1 (not my best rep, more shoulder rotation than I wanted but It wasn't really difficult and think it was just a lack of focus on my part).

      So I was obviously really happy with that. it was about 20-30 more lbs than I thought I'd get. Tommorow I will go for a dead max & then I will have a good idea of where my 3 lift total is at. I'm shooting for my first meet in fall so I don't think it's out of the question for me to be benching 400+ by then.

      So overall happy with it, but going to work hard to improve it.

      -Layne
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

      Comment


      • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        ok, had the first day of trying out my max bench. My personal best ever was 315 for 6 about 3 years ago. I haven't really seriously benched in about a year. I figured I would work to 315 for a single and then go as long as I felt comfortable so here's how it went

        285 X 3
        315 X 1 (easy)
        335 X 1 (at this point my music went off and I didn't have batteries with me so I said... hell with it... I can't use them at a meet anyway, so let's go to war without em')
        345 X 1 (easy)
        355 X 1 (kind of tough but still felt good)
        365 X 1 (not my best rep, more shoulder rotation than I wanted but It wasn't really difficult and think it was just a lack of focus on my part).

        So I was obviously really happy with that. it was about 20-30 more lbs than I thought I'd get. Tommorow I will go for a dead max & then I will have a good idea of where my 3 lift total is at. I'm shooting for my first meet in fall so I don't think it's out of the question for me to be benching 400+ by then.

        So overall happy with it, but going to work hard to improve it.

        -Layne
        Good Luck! Did you bodybuild from the start or did you start with power lifting and turn yourself into a bber over time.
        Republicans buy shoes too.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          correct, the other thing is do you change the food choices on refeed days?
          I don't change the food choices. I eat 150g of carbs, a combo of complex and simple (rice, yam, banana, oats), at my last meal of the day. This doubles my average daily carb intake. What do you recommend for a refeed, and what do some of you guys on this forum take in for a refeed?
          " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BPT20 View Post
            Good Luck! Did you bodybuild from the start or did you start with power lifting and turn yourself into a bber over time.
            i've always been a bodybuilder, but my routine i developed worked on increasing strength as well as hypertrophy
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

            Comment


            • Originally posted by rockhard View Post
              I don't change the food choices. I eat 150g of carbs, a combo of complex and simple (rice, yam, banana, oats), at my last meal of the day. This doubles my average daily carb intake. What do you recommend for a refeed, and what do some of you guys on this forum take in for a refeed?
              what is your normal carb intake?
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

              Comment


              • Layne-
                Isn't it fun to surprise yourself like that?

                Good job!
                Assistant to the regional manager.
                Iron8 approved

                Comment


                • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                  what is your normal carb intake?
                  I normally take in 150g+- daily, with 2 days per week at 300g+-. I feel and look best with my carbs no lower than 100-150g per. Just curious as to why my weight drops the day after the refeed.
                  " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

                  Comment


                  • what days does your weight increase at all?
                    BioLayne LLC
                    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

                    Comment


                    • Hey Layne, I know I've read somewhere about your thoughts on not having to eat every 2 hours but closer to 3-5. Could you link me to an article explaining this or if it's not been discusses let me know about here.

                      Comment


                      • hey layne.

                        Just wondering, how many carbs per day for a typical 180lb'er, about 13%. looking to gain muscle? 23 yrs old

                        *i read somehwere about you saying being sensitive to carbs in ur twenties therefore not needing much?

                        in that case protein intake would be higher than carb, is it possible that the thermogenic effect of increased cals from protein could reduce the calorie surplus at the end of the day leaving less left over for growth?
                        thats why i always thought carbs should be fairly close to protein intake (not taking into accout cals from fat of course but we wouldnt want that to be excessively high either for obvious reasons)

                        your thoughts buddy amigo..

                        Comment


                        • that's really kind of a general question but a healthy person in ther e 20s who is active can tolerate quite a bit. I'd say anywhere from 350-500 depending upon your metabolism
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

                          Comment


                          • what is your view on protein powders with respect to some having full 22 aa profile? also some claim to have them in correct ratios? is there any weight to these claims?

                            they also say that you therefore shouldnt mix the powder with milk as it will distort the ratio? (leading to non-optimum absorption)?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by cleanbulker View Post
                              what is your view on protein powders with respect to some having full 22 aa profile? also some claim to have them in correct ratios? is there any weight to these claims?

                              they also say that you therefore shouldnt mix the powder with milk as it will distort the ratio? (leading to non-optimum absorption)?
                              Clean- there is a wonderful document that will answer all of your questions to Layne.
                              Search: Layne Norton frequently asked questions.

                              It's a must read for any aspiring athlete. Sorry I only have it in a Word document and don't know how to import it directly to this post.
                              Assistant to the regional manager.
                              Iron8 approved

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                                what days does your weight increase at all?
                                On a normal Monday I will weigh 176-178 and will refeed with higher carbs. Tuesday my weight will be 174-176. On Wednesday I will be back to 176-178. These are average numbers as I my weight will vary from 172-185 during the year. Only when I start my prep and really keep track of the macros do I begin the twice a week carb refeeds, and without fail I see this weight drop. It is counter to what I believe should happen and have never gotten an expanation. For most higher carbs+water=fuller muscles and a weight increase. It does not really affect my prep or conditioning, but I am just curious as to why this would occur.
                                " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X