Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    ok here's how tonights deadlift workout went

-315 X 5
    -405 X 3
    -455 X 3
    -495 X 1
    -545 X 1 (easy, went up in less than a second)
    -585 X 1 (easy again)
    -605 X 1 (not as easy, but still went up pretty fast)

So I'm pretty damn happy with that. I never thought in my life when I was younger I'd deadlift 605 lbs lol.

so that' puts my 3 lifts at

Squat - 495
    Bench - 365
    Deadlift-605
    3 Lift Total - 1465

none of those lifts felt super hard so I feel I probably can immediately add 10-20 lbs to each but I decided not to push it too hard, to get some solid westside training under my belt before trying again.

Should be a fun ride... hang on!

-Layne
    I can deadlift 302.5 lbs twice. That's the same as deadlifting 605 for one, isn't it?!?!?!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by west View Post
      I'm impressed you don't use them for your deads or shrugs.
      honestly i don't like them. for deads I like to step in there get pissed and just lift it. If I have to take the time to wrap up then it really breaks my concentration, I'd rather step in there and pick it up
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Layne, Im sure this has been asked and you have answered it but i dont feel like sifting thru the posts to find it. Maybe you can point me to it or just anser in a quick reply. What can one do to improve vascularity. i know most is genetic, but there has got ot be seomthing to bring it out a little. Sodium intake?

there is a natty guy at my gym that is vascular year round. Most insane thing i have ever seen. He has earth worms all over his body, and he claims he does nothing diet wise to get this way.
        Become comfortable with being uncomfortable.
        F.I.T. Corps

Comment

• mostly genetics, low bodyfat, and blood volume. sodium may increase it slightly in the short term
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• sup layne, i got a question for you. how come the cooked meat and raw meats protein/ fat breakdowns different?

raw: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...uIHRoaWdo.html

cooked:
            http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...uIHRoaWdo.html

i know it takes more cooked meat to come out to be 5.77oz than raw meat b/c of its water content and what not, but how come the cooked ones show such a different ratio (f/p: 49/51) compared to raw (31/69). thanks!!

Comment

• Layne what you think of this diet? Anyone's input is also welcomed.

I am a Natty , 21yrs. 201 lbs. Did my first show at 178 and am trying to bulk up to 215 at about 9% , then cut to about 185-190.

300 grms. protein a day, 250-300 carbs a day. I do cardio 3-4 times a week , with 1 being HIT. usually 20 min on a bike or treadmill. Fat depends usually on how I feel. Olive oil and natt pb are usually it , unless I eat fish that day.
              Any changes??

Thanks

Comment

• what are your thoughts on deadlifts thickening the waistline?

there was a good thread about it on pm and it seemed pretty split that heavy deadlifting for many years causes the core (obliques specifically) to become stronger/bigger to stablize the body for heavy deadlifts and that lots of people who deadlifted heavily for many years ended up having the same bf % with thicker waists

Comment

• Quad Cramps

Sup Layne, do you ever get quad cramps on leg day? I train quads and hams separately, and every time I train quads, I get excruciatingly painful quad cramps about 3-4hours AFTER the workout and it lasts nearly all day. It's bout 10:30 p.m and I finished up my workout around 3 p.m, and I still have cramps! I've dealt with this for the past few months. As far as the training goes, I do MAX-OT but in a 6-8 rep range instead, today's workout was 3 sets of barbell squats, 3 sets of Front Squats, and 2 sets of walking lunges. Here's my daily diet-

Meal 1- 1 cup Oats + 1 cup mixed berries, 2 eggs + 1 can tuna
                  Meal 2- 1 cup oats + Whey Protein Isolate (pre workout)
                  Postworkout - 30 grams Whey Isolate 60 grams carbs (malto/dextrose)
                  40 min later - 1 cup oats + 1 cup berries + 4 oz cooked weight chicken breast
                  Meal 3- 6 oz cooked wt London Broil, 8 oz Yams, 1 cup Green Beans
                  Meal 4- Same as meal 3
                  Meal 5- 5 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, cup milk, 1/2 cup oats, greens

I take a multivitamin/mineral, calcium magnesium, bcaa's, fish oils, and I aim for a gallon to a gallon 1/2 water everyday. I'm bout 5-7 180, just giving you more details on the diet to see if you notice anything I should be tweaking to prevent cramps. I've tried accelerade, and cytomax drinks in the past, but I still get these damn cramps. I've learned to just deal w/ em, but there's gotta be something I can do to get rid of it! Any input from anybody would be appreciated. Sorry for such a long message!

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                    mostly genetics, low bodyfat, and blood volume. sodium may increase it slightly in the short term
                    so sodium increases blood volume i take it? I only need it for competition day, could care less about any other time. thanks
                    Become comfortable with being uncomfortable.
                    F.I.T. Corps

Comment

• Originally posted by mophat63 View Post
                      sup layne, i got a question for you. how come the cooked meat and raw meats protein/ fat breakdowns different?

raw: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...uIHRoaWdo.html

cooked:
                      http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...uIHRoaWdo.html

i know it takes more cooked meat to come out to be 5.77oz than raw meat b/c of its water content and what not, but how come the cooked ones show such a different ratio (f/p: 49/51) compared to raw (31/69). thanks!!
                      because when it's cooked it loses water and thus 4 oz contains different protein/carb/fat pre cooked than post cooked because the density changes
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by italian heat View Post
                        Layne what you think of this diet? Anyone's input is also welcomed.

I am a Natty , 21yrs. 201 lbs. Did my first show at 178 and am trying to bulk up to 215 at about 9% , then cut to about 185-190.

300 grms. protein a day, 250-300 carbs a day. I do cardio 3-4 times a week , with 1 being HIT. usually 20 min on a bike or treadmill. Fat depends usually on how I feel. Olive oil and natt pb are usually it , unless I eat fish that day.
                        Any changes??

Thanks
                        I hate to sound like a jerk but I've answered similar questions to this and everytime my answer is that your protein is too high. 300g is absolutely way more than you'll ever possibly need at your weight and age.
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by lilGiant View Post
                          so sodium increases blood volume i take it? I only need it for competition day, could care less about any other time. thanks
                          please read the blogs from summer on my website
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by BULK_CITY View Post
                            what are your thoughts on deadlifts thickening the waistline?

there was a good thread about it on pm and it seemed pretty split that heavy deadlifting for many years causes the core (obliques specifically) to become stronger/bigger to stablize the body for heavy deadlifts and that lots of people who deadlifted heavily for many years ended up having the same bf % with thicker waists
                            it's bullshit. it's an excuse for people who don't like deadlifting. Most people claiming that it thickens their waist are fat
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by jianblaze View Post
                              Sup Layne, do you ever get quad cramps on leg day? I train quads and hams separately, and every time I train quads, I get excruciatingly painful quad cramps about 3-4hours AFTER the workout and it lasts nearly all day. It's bout 10:30 p.m and I finished up my workout around 3 p.m, and I still have cramps! I've dealt with this for the past few months. As far as the training goes, I do MAX-OT but in a 6-8 rep range instead, today's workout was 3 sets of barbell squats, 3 sets of Front Squats, and 2 sets of walking lunges. Here's my daily diet-

Meal 1- 1 cup Oats + 1 cup mixed berries, 2 eggs + 1 can tuna
                              Meal 2- 1 cup oats + Whey Protein Isolate (pre workout)
                              Postworkout - 30 grams Whey Isolate 60 grams carbs (malto/dextrose)
                              40 min later - 1 cup oats + 1 cup berries + 4 oz cooked weight chicken breast
                              Meal 3- 6 oz cooked wt London Broil, 8 oz Yams, 1 cup Green Beans
                              Meal 4- Same as meal 3
                              Meal 5- 5 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, cup milk, 1/2 cup oats, greens

I take a multivitamin/mineral, calcium magnesium, bcaa's, fish oils, and I aim for a gallon to a gallon 1/2 water everyday. I'm bout 5-7 180, just giving you more details on the diet to see if you notice anything I should be tweaking to prevent cramps. I've tried accelerade, and cytomax drinks in the past, but I still get these damn cramps. I've learned to just deal w/ em, but there's gotta be something I can do to get rid of it! Any input from anybody would be appreciated. Sorry for such a long message!
                              I have no idea what's going on, everyone has different pain tolerances so it's hard for me to understand the severity of the cramp but i'm not sure what is causing it.
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• I can't find your blog or log that you mentioned earlier regarding the sodium question... can you link to that my man?

By the way - your switch to powerlifting for the time being is going to give your foundation even more mass dude... this is nutty.

Comment

Working...
                                X