Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oregonpanthers View Post
    Quick question for you Layne, since you have the science alongside the real world anecdote of yourself and numerous clients I was wondering what your thoughts are on a cardio timing issue. See I get up at 7am every morning and 5 days a week right now I like doing cardio within 20-25 minutes of getting up. I do it fasted albiet some Xtend and a cup of JavaFit coffee. But now this week I just moved to my grad student housing complex and the fitness room is not open until 8am (I need to eat meal 1 by 8am so as to get meals in by 11pm before I go to bed) and the student rec center dont open till 8am either. With the literal freezing temps out right now in Wisconsin I cant do outdoor cardio.

This said would it be effective to eat meal 1 at 7am which is 10 whites with 2g fish oil along with the JavaFit (now minus the Xtend) and then wait till I get about 45 minutes away from meal 2 to do my cardio?

I cant see 10 egg whites being very glycemic at all, nore insulinemic for that matter. Circulating glucose should be quite low, insulin perhaps a tad bit higher but still of minimal impact on lipolysis am I right?

I know your a advocate of proper use of HIIT training for cardio but as of now with my calories, training split, and stage of dieting, I dont see that fitting in as well as longer LIT cardio.
    check out my section on cardio on my precontest article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

it's overall caloric balance & pro/carb/fat intake that determines fat loss. You can't trick your body with fasted state cardio. It will not be more effective at fat loss in my opinion
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• today's workout highlights

Max effort parallel box squat day. The articles on westside say that your parallel box squat will be significantly less weight than a regular squat due to the breaking of the concentric/eccentric chain, basically you sit on the box, stop the bar, then try to move it so you are moving dead weight.

Here's how it went

135 X 10
      185 X 7
      235 X 5
      285 X 5
      335 X 3
      385 X 3
      445 X 1
      465 X 1
      480 X 1
      495 X 1 (this baby was slow comin' up!)

I was really really happy with that. This tells me that it was not a fluke that the 495 i did a few weeks ago felt relatively easy. I'm excited to see how much it will have increased next time.

Good Mornings
      135 X 8
      165 X 5
      195 X 5
      225 X 5
      255 X 3
      275 X 3
      295 X 3

My Xmas present Isabel got me also finally came in. A NICE medium Inzer levered power belt. That thing felt like heaven! It's amazing how much more support a great belt provides!

-Layne
      BioLayne LLC
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• layne some great weight mate, well done. Are you going to get the camera in on the action so we can have a looksee???
        www.physique-essentials.com

Comment

• soon
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Yeah, if you can box squat 495, I smell 525 at least.

Now that you've blown all your original goals out of the water, what are your goals now?

Oh and great job!
            Assistant to the regional manager.
            Iron8 approved

Comment

• well i still have to do it in a meet. until then my #s mean little. from what i've seen i'm very close to the deadlift records for raw 220 natural powerlifting, I'd like to break that. I would like to do around 550 squat and get bench around 400 in the next year
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• hey layne when u train upper body/back how soon do you do rack chins? i been doing em the past couple weeks like halfway through my workouts and they are pretty tough, i can barely get 12 with my bw!
                "Leg Day Is Business"
                Layne Norton

Comment

• With box squatting, how do your knees like the sudden loading when in a bent position?

It seems like it would be very rough on them.

Comment

• didn't feel too bad honestly
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Abs Question

ok , i got a little prob , my stomach is getting thick , not fat , my ab muscles pop out like thick blocks , there starting to make my chest look smaller , thats not the real prob , my prob is my obliques are getting big , they look like mini love handles but there hard as a rock , you got any suggestions to bring my waste in tigher

heres my rountine: 2x a week

crunches on a swiss ball - 2 sets - 20-30 reps - i will hold a 10lbs dumbell if i get over 30 reps

leg lifts on a flat bench - 2 sets - 20-30 reps - bodyweight used here

side crunches - 1-2 sets each side - bw only - 20-30 reps

(its not like im fat , i can see all 8 pack muscles clearly and my obliques (naturally lean person) its just that there growing like a normal muscle would , big and thick , ill try to get pictures up so u can see , in the mean time , you got any suggestions? ) also i use a weight lifting belt of my heavey lifts like squats,rows,deadlifts,overhead presses and sldl a a side note

Comment

• id' really need pictures to determine for myself
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by gainmusclefast View Post
                          hey layne when u train upper body/back how soon do you do rack chins? i been doing em the past couple weeks like halfway through my workouts and they are pretty tough, i can barely get 12 with my bw!

^ got lost on last page
                          "Leg Day Is Business"
                          Layne Norton

Comment

• i usually do them at the beginning
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                              i usually do them at the beginning
                              yea i usually do pullups first so that what probably takes it outta me when i get to those, need to try em weighted, do dbs or plates work better for adding weight? thanks cap'n
                              "Leg Day Is Business"
                              Layne Norton

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                                well i still have to do it in a meet. until then my #s mean little. from what i've seen i'm very close to the deadlift records for raw 220 natural powerlifting, I'd like to break that. I would like to do around 550 squat and get bench around 400 in the next year
                                Good deal.

Now the thing is, you have to do that all in one day at the meet. Although with your recovery ability I don't really see a issue there.

Put the hammer down Doc (soon to be)
                                Assistant to the regional manager.
                                Iron8 approved

Comment

Working...
                                X