Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep deadlifts

Layne,

Went out and got my own hex bar for deadlifts. Added a 7" lift kit to make sure I go nice and deep (now I know what being 5'11" is like). I'm going to make a platform, as I'm going to need those 100lb plates when I start going heavy! This is my first attempt to post a video, hope it works!

www.naturaliowamuscle.com
    www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DEDICATE92 View Post
      Layne,
      Went out and got my own hex bar for deadlifts. Added a 7" lift kit to make sure I go nice and deep (now I know what being 5'11" is like). I'm going to make a platform, as I'm going to need those 100lb plates when I start going heavy! This is my first attempt to post a video, hope it works!
      [youtube ]nsqf8An27kA[/youtube ]
      Looking strong man!

Comment

• looking good ryan!
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Thanks! I did these without a belt or straps, hope to continue that trend as it gets heavy! Work that core!!
          www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• nothing wrong with a belt, especially for heavy work... you still build the core with one as the abs push out against it... in fact some studies show you get better low back & ab stimulation with a belt
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Hey Layne,
              Lately I have had a little discomfort on the top of my left shoulder. On a pain scale of 1-10 I would rate the pain a 2-3 so it isn't excruciating. Do you think this could be from touching my chest on military press or inc. b-bell press? I am very form conscious so I don't know how this just came out of left field. I not trained shoulders in a few weeks and I am starting to get very frustrated. Thanks as always for your help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tatyana View Post
                For a thyroid function, just tell your doctor your are tired all the time (TATT is the clinical details he will more than likely put on your form).
                So jus say Im tired all the time and I wish to get my thyroid tested?

what bout:

-fasting blood glucose
                -fasting blood insulin
                -HDL
                -LDL
                -TAG
                -cholesterol
                -testosterone
                -free testosterone
                -Thyroid hormone

Do I jus ask him to test these as well?

Thanks for all the help.
                If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                  nothing wrong with a belt, especially for heavy work... you still build the core with one as the abs push out against it... in fact some studies show you get better low back & ab stimulation with a belt

Good to know! Just watching Sporto pushing 400+ pounds without a belt on squats is pretty motivating to not be so dependent on a belt...
                  www.heartlandclassic.com

Comment

• Originally posted by rpninja636 View Post
                    Hey Layne,
                    Lately I have had a little discomfort on the top of my left shoulder. On a pain scale of 1-10 I would rate the pain a 2-3 so it isn't excruciating. Do you think this could be from touching my chest on military press or inc. b-bell press? I am very form conscious so I don't know how this just came out of left field. I not trained shoulders in a few weeks and I am starting to get very frustrated. Thanks as always for your help.
                    not sure but one thing that has helped my shoulder on bench is instead of touching my chest then pressing it up and back over my face, I just press it straight up over my chest. it takes a while to get comfortable with, but my shoulder feels 10x better
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• tonight was leg Max effort day. I decided that since I pulled 605 pretty easy traditional style, I should try sumo style just to see which one i'm better at.

here were the working sets
                      -445 X 3
                      -495 X 1
                      -545 X 1
                      -585 X 1
                      -615 X 1 (video):

-635 X 1 (near miss)

honestly I think even though I broke my PR, I am probably better at conventional style. I ripped 605 off the ground very fast and as you can see here 615, though solid, was fairly slow. I'll wait a few more weeks and try again to see what my max conventional style is. I think it's probably around 625 or 635.

Right now i'm weighing in at 220-225 & could easily make 220 in a week or less. Looking at the national records for the organizations for unequipped drug tested I am right in the mix and in some orgs 615 would actually be their raw record. So I'm feeling pretty good about it. Of course to lift it in the gym is one thing, it doesn't mean shit. I have to do it at a meet. But I feel good about my dead.

I then worked on heavy ass to ankles hack squats to strength my bottom end quad strength

sets were
                      5 plates + 10 lb on each side for 5
                      5 plates + 35 lb on each side for 3
                      6 plates + 15 lbs on each side for 3
                      6 plates + 35 lbs on each side for 3

Then did glut ham raises
                      BW X 5 (weight held in front)
                      BW + 15 lbs X 5
                      BW + 30 lbs X 3
                      BW + 37.5 lbs X 3

did aux calf and ham/quad work as well.

-Layne
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• layne , what kind of healthy oils do you supplement with? example fish , flaxseed ect.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                          tonight was leg Max effort day. I decided that since I pulled 605 pretty easy traditional style, I should try sumo style just to see which one i'm better at.

here were the working sets
                          -445 X 3
                          -495 X 1
                          -545 X 1
                          -585 X 1
                          -615 X 1 (video):

-635 X 1 (near miss)

honestly I think even though I broke my PR, I am probably better at conventional style. I ripped 605 off the ground very fast and as you can see here 615, though solid, was fairly slow. I'll wait a few more weeks and try again to see what my max conventional style is. I think it's probably around 625 or 635.

Right now i'm weighing in at 220-225 & could easily make 220 in a week or less. Looking at the national records for the organizations for unequipped drug tested I am right in the mix and in some orgs 615 would actually be their raw record. So I'm feeling pretty good about it. Of course to lift it in the gym is one thing, it doesn't mean shit. I have to do it at a meet. But I feel good about my dead.

I then worked on heavy ass to ankles hack squats to strength my bottom end quad strength

sets were
                          5 plates + 10 lb on each side for 5
                          5 plates + 35 lb on each side for 3
                          6 plates + 15 lbs on each side for 3
                          6 plates + 35 lbs on each side for 3

Then did glut ham raises
                          BW X 5 (weight held in front)
                          BW + 15 lbs X 5
                          BW + 30 lbs X 3
                          BW + 37.5 lbs X 3

did aux calf and ham/quad work as well.

-Layne
                          I have a feeling you're going to rip the competition to shreds.

Comment

• Layne in your opinion do you feel that straight bar or hex bar is better for building back muscle while deadlifting?
                            NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• depends on how you pull
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• layne , what kind of healthy oils do you supplement with? example fish , flaxseed ect.

Comment

Working...
                                X