Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by intolerant View Post
    I am interested in the science of the phenomenon that occurs with putting on weight after a long dieting period. I have read your pre contest article, and what I am referring to is being able to induce one of these periods.

What would be a time frame of low carb dieting that would actually yield beneficial muscle building results once a high carb diet is assumed?

Meaning, a phase of low carbs and then into a high carb phase.

What I am curious is about is how long does the low carb period have to be, and can it be too long? Would the benefit of low carb dieting for this purpose die off after a few weeks?
    most of the 'weight' that goes on after a long diet is fat if it's done in a short period of time.
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Hey Layne,I'm new to the md forum but I've seen your videos and articles on bb.com and am also a natural and I was just wondering could you tell me would a cortisol 'inhibitor' like 11-OXO badly effect your kidneys? From some articles I've read on the internet it would appear that low levels of cortisol may lead to kidney stones due to a build up of calcium I think. Thanks

Comment

• you need cortisol to get the response in the body.

Comment

• Layne - my first show as a natural is going to be a tough one. I'm 5'11', 220 pounds, and about 14% body fat... been measured with a pinch test at around 8% but with only the separation down my abs? I doubt 8% was accurate. I am still vascular in my arms, shoulders, and have good separation in my arms, shoulders, legs, traps, and my back looks great.

I've noticed that I am very carb sensitive. I've added in 50 carbs to my diet and noticed crazy results in just a few weeks, so I know that I am not a hard gainer - I respond really well to carbs, but too much obviously would make me fat.

My diet now - I've been doing 6 meals a day, 45P/50C/20F per meal, basically the 1:1:1 but a little less on the protein because I am 20, so I don't need as much.

With all of that information, what kind of diet would you advocate? I'm really not sure how well a carb cycling diet is going to work for me because I seem to be sensitive to carbs. My original plan was doing a KETOSIS diet, but I've been reading some negative press on it - especially with naturals.

I have about 5 weeks before I start this diet - any suggestions, anything you want me to do to figure out "how sensitive" I am?

Any suggestions would be mint, Layne. Thank you.

Comment

• Hey Layne, just a quick question that im curious as to what your opinion will be.

Many people have been commenting about deep ass heavy squats and their effects on the waist line ect as well as deads, what are your thoughts on this? Do they have the same effect for naturals?

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillyXJ View Post
              Layne - my first show as a natural is going to be a tough one. I'm 5'11', 220 pounds, and about 14% body fat... been measured with a pinch test at around 8% but with only the separation down my abs? I doubt 8% was accurate. I am still vascular in my arms, shoulders, and have good separation in my arms, shoulders, legs, traps, and my back looks great.

I've noticed that I am very carb sensitive. I've added in 50 carbs to my diet and noticed crazy results in just a few weeks, so I know that I am not a hard gainer - I respond really well to carbs, but too much obviously would make me fat.

My diet now - I've been doing 6 meals a day, 45P/50C/20F per meal, basically the 1:1:1 but a little less on the protein because I am 20, so I don't need as much.

With all of that information, what kind of diet would you advocate? I'm really not sure how well a carb cycling diet is going to work for me because I seem to be sensitive to carbs. My original plan was doing a KETOSIS diet, but I've been reading some negative press on it - especially with naturals.

I have about 5 weeks before I start this diet - any suggestions, anything you want me to do to figure out "how sensitive" I am?

I'm guessing Layne would advocate the pre contest diet he outlines here
              http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

couple that with the updated FAQ and you have everything you need
              http://www.mediafire.com/?8nxtmxzwhvz
              good luck

Comment

• Thanks for all of the help guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillyXJ View Post
                  Layne - my first show as a natural is going to be a tough one. I'm 5'11', 220 pounds, and about 14% body fat... been measured with a pinch test at around 8% but with only the separation down my abs? I doubt 8% was accurate. I am still vascular in my arms, shoulders, and have good separation in my arms, shoulders, legs, traps, and my back looks great.

I wouldn't suggest ketosis as I think it sounds as if you respond well to carbohydrates. have you read my article here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm ? I think it may be of great aid to you
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacked!!! View Post
                    Hey Layne, just a quick question that im curious as to what your opinion will be.

Many people have been commenting about deep ass heavy squats and their effects on the waist line ect as well as deads, what are your thoughts on this? Do they have the same effect for naturals?
                    most those guys have big GH guts and they try to pass it off as being from 'heavy squats'. That is nonsense.

Either that or people who say they don't squat or deadlift because they don't want a big gut are just looking for an excuse not to do difficult exercises.

Top natural pro Dave Goodin has a tiny waist and he used to do powerlifting contests and even hit a 529 squat at 180 bodyweight!
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by SJC89 View Post
                      Hey Layne,I'm new to the md forum but I've seen your videos and articles on bb.com and am also a natural and I was just wondering could you tell me would a cortisol 'inhibitor' like 11-OXO badly effect your kidneys? From some articles I've read on the internet it would appear that low levels of cortisol may lead to kidney stones due to a build up of calcium I think. Thanks
                      if that's the case then I just learned something today, I'm afraid I haven't studied much about the connection between the two, so I'm sorry I can't be of more help
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by cleanbulker View Post
                        you need cortisol to get the response in the body.

which response out of millions that occurs in the body are you referring to? lol
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• I read your article and it makes sense - I just don't know how I'll lose fat when keeping carbs, I feel like I stay more or less the same composition when I take my carbs down. When I up them, I respond. I have 5 weeks to give it some thought. I appreciate your help, brother.

Comment

• No worries Layne I was just curious,thanks anyway

Comment

• layne could you check this out. need some advice on what to bring up, i want to good size. also, i was reading your posing article on bb.com and i still cannot do a lat spread to save my life. my lats are pretty good but i cant find the right pose to show it....any suggestions?

Comment

• you are trying to flex your back & not spread it. I honestly think that lats and arms are what you need to bring up. Unless I was in there in person to actually spread your scapula for you, it's hard for me to describe how to do it
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X