Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Layne,

Do you recommend "IcyHot" or other muscle soothing creams or do they just disguise the discomfort? I'm having a little shoulder pain and have been icing it a couple times a day. The pain isn't bad, just uncomfortable. Do you ever use those creams? Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiderman405 View Post
      Layne. what is your opinion on how much fat a bodybuilder needs per day during a fatloss plan. Im 5'6" 196 at 12% bodyfat and want to get down to around 7% bodyfat by this summer. Everybody has different theories on fat content to loose fat. and i wanted to hear your view.

i realize it depends on how many carbs your eating etc etc....

so my question is what is the minimum amount of fat intake you could do without risking your body to hold onto fat or lossing to much muscle?

is supplementing with fish oil enough or do you need to eat healthy fats all day?
      depends upon a ton of factors, age, total calorie intake, insulin sensitivity, etc
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by rpninja636 View Post
        Hey Layne,

Do you recommend "IcyHot" or other muscle soothing creams or do they just disguise the discomfort? I'm having a little shoulder pain and have been icing it a couple times a day. The pain isn't bad, just uncomfortable. Do you ever use those creams? Thank you.
        they will not fix any problems but they will help you manage pain better

speaking of which...

Had a really scary night tonight guys.

Tonight was Max Effort bench day and I was doing reverse band presses. I worked up to 445 X 3, 495 X 3, 535 X 1 with the heavy bands. Then I decided to go for 545. I got myself way too amped for the set, and as I lowered it to my chest, instead of focussing on proper form and hitting my lower chest/upper abs and pressing straight up I let it hit mid chest and instead of dumping it tried to press it. Immediately I felt my right pec stretch and give. I screamed "NO!" at the top of my lungs. I thought that was it, I thought for sure I had torn my pec. I sat up and I couldn't even look Isabel in the eyes. I was very upset, I broke out in a cold sweat and felt like I wanted to vomit. I didn't want to lift up my shirt to look at it but I knew I had to. I pulled off my shirt and took a look. No bruising or discoloration and suprisingly no immediate pain, just tightness. I tried flexing it and to my suprise it did flex. Then I started to get some pain after a few minutes. I was still convinced I had partially torn it even though you couldn't really see any dislocation of the pec or mis-shape.

Isabel and I both immediately decided to go to the hospital. I wanted to have someone look at this tonight. I had ice on it for 2 hours and by the time the doc saw it it was very tight. He had me go through some exercises. I wasn't feeling much pain I just told him it was very tight. I could still put my hand over my head, I could still resist him, and my flexibility was decent.

The doctor said he felt I had a severe strain. He felt that if I had injured the pec I would be in much more pain than I was. He told me to give it 5-7 days of rest then try out my flexibility in the gym. So right now I am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully 48 hours will come and go with no bruising and then likely I'll be in the clear. I felt like such a fucking moron. I always preach about being careful in the gym and here I was, rushing through my workout, not warming up properly, and not executing the lift properly. I have no one to blame but myself. Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise to remind me that anyone can get injured at anytime. Hopefully it heals up fine and I can still do a powerlifting show in the summer. Right now the pec is pretty swollen but unless i stretch it hard there is very little pain. I'll keep you guys updated. I just feel like such a moron. Isabel was really great through the whole thing, as were my buddies in the gym, I had at least 15 people tell me that they hoped I was ok on the way out, made me feel better.

-Layne
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          depends upon a ton of factors, age, total calorie intake, insulin sensitivity, etc

i found what is was looking for in your article in the contest prep section on dieting.

thanks.

Comment

speaking of which...

Tonight was Max Effort bench day and I was doing reverse band presses. I worked up to 445 X 3, 495 X 3, 535 X 1 with the heavy bands. Then I decided to go for 545. I got myself way too amped for the set, and as I lowered it to my chest, instead of focussing on proper form and hitting my lower chest/upper abs and pressing straight up I let it hit mid chest and instead of dumping it tried to press it. Immediately I felt my right pec stretch and give. I screamed "NO!" at the top of my lungs. I thought that was it, I thought for sure I had torn my pec. I sat up and I couldn't even look Isabel in the eyes. I was very upset, I broke out in a cold sweat and felt like I wanted to vomit. I didn't want to lift up my shirt to look at it but I knew I had to. I pulled off my shirt and took a look. No bruising or discoloration and suprisingly no immediate pain, just tightness. I tried flexing it and to my suprise it did flex. Then I started to get some pain after a few minutes. I was still convinced I had partially torn it even though you couldn't really see any dislocation of the pec or mis-shape.

Isabel and I both immediately decided to go to the hospital. I wanted to have someone look at this tonight. I had ice on it for 2 hours and by the time the doc saw it it was very tight. He had me go through some exercises. I wasn't feeling much pain I just told him it was very tight. I could still put my hand over my head, I could still resist him, and my flexibility was decent.

The doctor said he felt I had a severe strain. He felt that if I had injured the pec I would be in much more pain than I was. He told me to give it 5-7 days of rest then try out my flexibility in the gym. So right now I am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully 48 hours will come and go with no bruising and then likely I'll be in the clear. I felt like such a fucking moron. I always preach about being careful in the gym and here I was, rushing through my workout, not warming up properly, and not executing the lift properly. I have no one to blame but myself. Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise to remind me that anyone can get injured at anytime. Hopefully it heals up fine and I can still do a powerlifting show in the summer. Right now the pec is pretty swollen but unless i stretch it hard there is very little pain. I'll keep you guys updated. I just feel like such a moron. Isabel was really great through the whole thing, as were my buddies in the gym, I had at least 15 people tell me that they hoped I was ok on the way out, made me feel better.

-Layne
            Damn Layne, I hope you heal soon. What are you going to do to expedite the healing process? Any special hints that you will use that I could maybe apply to my bum shoulder? Also, from your experience dealing with slight shoulder pains, does the majority of people feel pain coming from the joint or the muscle itself? Thanks.
            Last edited by rpninja636; February 26, 2008, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• Dude, that freakin' sucks...
              I hope everything heals up and you're able to do the meet. Take it easy for a while, bro. Make sure and keep us posted on how things are going.

And yeah, those "blessings in disguise" can sometimes be really amazing. It's the reason my left knee has yet to need surgery.
              Later man.
              trueprotein.com discount code- JNG800

Comment

• Rest up that pec Layne, sounds like you dodged a bullet and it may not be serious.
                VP of Marketing for Nutrabio
                instagram @naturalguy2.0

Comment

speaking of which...

-Layne
                  Hope all is well, and it was just a scare. Keep us posted, and get well! It'll be a bummer to not read about these badass workouts for awhile!!!
                  Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.

Comment

• no bruising this morning, just swelling. Actually have more range of motion today than yesterday which is good. I am slated for squats tonight but not goign to be doing them as it would require the arm to stretch farther than i'd like. I'll probably just do some leg extension & glut ham raise.
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Glad you are ok layne. But be more careful. You don't want to lose your bodybuilding career over powerlifting stuff.

Comment

• http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ostcount=13998

I got Daves reply to this inqury but I would also appreciate your opinion since you deal so much with pro synthesis. Thanks!

His answer is here (4th one down):
                        http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ostcount=14028

Comment

• hey layne I often heard you should mix creatine mono with grape juice. Is the same true for CEE? Or is their a better mix for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by tjoe View Post
                            http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ostcount=13998

I got Daves reply to this inqury but I would also appreciate your opinion since you deal so much with pro synthesis. Thanks!

His answer is here (4th one down):
                            http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ostcount=14028
                            well first off my research has shown that a constant trickle of amino acids may be exactly what you do not want, rather you want to spike them. that said i agree with him that if you eat that much protein it is going to slow digestion SIGNIFICANTLY and you are going to be backed up like a mother
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Hey Layne hope that chest heals up so we can see your crazy ass in a powerlifting meet asap. Anyways, I was wondering if I should cycle Beta-Alanine. And if so, for how long on and off? If this question has already been answered in the FAQ or the thread, someone else please direct me to it. Thanks for your time Layne,

CarpeDiem

Comment

• thus far i have not seen evidence to suggest cycling is needed
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X