Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Layne, we know you want to compete in something and are getting the urge (that's why you are going to give powerlifting a try), but if your real goal is to keep improving to be the best Natural BB out there, why take a chance like you are with lifting extreme weights and maxing out? I dont want to sound like a puss, I am just saying be careful. If it were me I would just focus on the improvments you are obviously making and leave the possibility of injury where it is now. Think about what a major injury would do to your progress. You have taken this time off to grow and improve. Just an idea.
    TEAM GORMAN

    Comment


    • Speedy recovery bro, hope your back in full training force ASAP !

      Comment


      • Layne, I have a question hopefully you can answer.

        I am 5'8'' 205 20 y/o lifting for 2.5 years. Not too much fat (under 15%).

        Currently eating 350 protien, 300+ carbs and 80g fat. I'm about to cut and here's what I was thinking, 300 protein(I think you'll say too high, if so what should I have it at?) carbs will be 200g per day, fat 40grams per day. How does it look?

        Pro+fat immediatly after morning cardio? pre workout meal (p+c) workout, water throughout, then cardio, waxy maize+whey immediatly after cardio? Thanks!
        Trueprotein.com 5% Discount code- KEM010

        Comment


        • Layne,

          In regards to your cyclical bulking.........

          When you bulk for 4 weeks, how much weight do you usually gain?

          After you cut for 2 weeks, how much weight have you lost?

          Note:
          I would imagine that after the 6 weeks, you end up about 2 pounds heavier than before with relatively same body fat

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Youngguns View Post
            Layne, I have a question hopefully you can answer.

            I am 5'8'' 205 20 y/o lifting for 2.5 years. Not too much fat (under 15%).

            Currently eating 350 protien, 300+ carbs and 80g fat. I'm about to cut and here's what I was thinking, 300 protein(I think you'll say too high, if so what should I have it at?) carbs will be 200g per day, fat 40grams per day. How does it look?

            Pro+fat immediatly after morning cardio? pre workout meal (p+c) workout, water throughout, then cardio, waxy maize+whey immediatly after cardio? Thanks!


            how many meals are you currently eating?

            Comment


            • I'd say 6, but it's more in a way, I never seem to finish my meals so they are always getting combined.
              Trueprotein.com 5% Discount code- KEM010

              Comment


              • Youngguns, it is tough for me to say with certainty as I do not know you and your metabolism well but I would probably not go lower than 45-50 on fat and keep carbs around 200 with refeeds at 300 and then protein at 225-245. That's just a rough suggestion
                BioLayne LLC
                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

                Comment


                • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                  they will not fix any problems but they will help you manage pain better

                  speaking of which...

                  Had a really scary night tonight guys.

                  Tonight was Max Effort bench day and I was doing reverse band presses. I worked up to 445 X 3, 495 X 3, 535 X 1 with the heavy bands. Then I decided to go for 545. I got myself way too amped for the set, and as I lowered it to my chest, instead of focussing on proper form and hitting my lower chest/upper abs and pressing straight up I let it hit mid chest and instead of dumping it tried to press it. Immediately I felt my right pec stretch and give. I screamed "NO!" at the top of my lungs. I thought that was it, I thought for sure I had torn my pec. I sat up and I couldn't even look Isabel in the eyes. I was very upset, I broke out in a cold sweat and felt like I wanted to vomit. I didn't want to lift up my shirt to look at it but I knew I had to. I pulled off my shirt and took a look. No bruising or discoloration and suprisingly no immediate pain, just tightness. I tried flexing it and to my suprise it did flex. Then I started to get some pain after a few minutes. I was still convinced I had partially torn it even though you couldn't really see any dislocation of the pec or mis-shape.

                  Isabel and I both immediately decided to go to the hospital. I wanted to have someone look at this tonight. I had ice on it for 2 hours and by the time the doc saw it it was very tight. He had me go through some exercises. I wasn't feeling much pain I just told him it was very tight. I could still put my hand over my head, I could still resist him, and my flexibility was decent.

                  The doctor said he felt I had a severe strain. He felt that if I had injured the pec I would be in much more pain than I was. He told me to give it 5-7 days of rest then try out my flexibility in the gym. So right now I am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully 48 hours will come and go with no bruising and then likely I'll be in the clear. I felt like such a fucking moron. I always preach about being careful in the gym and here I was, rushing through my workout, not warming up properly, and not executing the lift properly. I have no one to blame but myself. Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise to remind me that anyone can get injured at anytime. Hopefully it heals up fine and I can still do a powerlifting show in the summer. Right now the pec is pretty swollen but unless i stretch it hard there is very little pain. I'll keep you guys updated. I just feel like such a moron. Isabel was really great through the whole thing, as were my buddies in the gym, I had at least 15 people tell me that they hoped I was ok on the way out, made me feel better.

                  -Layne

                  Damn bro, 3 to 4 weeks ago i went through the same thing went to the hospital. saw the doc they agve me an mri sure enough i had a small tear about an half inch right in the middle of my chest. they went in the next day stiched it up and I just got the ok to start training again, lightly. So I lost a good 8 pounds for taking about a month off. Sucks. But am all good and back at it. Play it smart bro dont rush back to soon.
                  kiyoshimoody.com
                  *TEAM GENR8* genr8speed.com

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by The Natural One View Post
                    Damn bro, 3 to 4 weeks ago i went through the same thing went to the hospital. saw the doc they agve me an mri sure enough i had a small tear about an half inch right in the middle of my chest. they went in the next day stiched it up and I just got the ok to start training again, lightly. So I lost a good 8 pounds for taking about a month off. Sucks. But am all good and back at it. Play it smart bro dont rush back to soon.
                    I agree with this 100%. I try to look at the bigger picture. Do I want to miss 4-6 weeks of training or risk being injured for years. I wish you both God's speed when it comes to recovery.

                    Comment


                    • I reckon you boys will be a bit paranoid about working pecs in the future...

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by The Natural One View Post
                        Damn bro, 3 to 4 weeks ago i went through the same thing went to the hospital. saw the doc they agve me an mri sure enough i had a small tear about an half inch right in the middle of my chest. they went in the next day stiched it up and I just got the ok to start training again, lightly. So I lost a good 8 pounds for taking about a month off. Sucks. But am all good and back at it. Play it smart bro dont rush back to soon.
                        how much bruising did you have the day after?
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by west View Post
                          I reckon you boys will be a bit paranoid about working pecs in the future...
                          I hope not. I just need to learn to be better about getting myself fired up and yet maintaining my focus. Right now I've got the fired up part down... I just need to also keep myself focussed
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            Youngguns, it is tough for me to say with certainty as I do not know you and your metabolism well but I would probably not go lower than 45-50 on fat and keep carbs around 200 with refeeds at 300 and then protein at 225-245. That's just a rough suggestion
                            Protein that low eh, that's scary although it would make the diet a lot easier... I'm guessing it's because I'm just preserving muscle and not adding too it right? Sorry, just your average parinoid bber, last cut I had I lost quite a bit of muscle, although I'm sure it was because of the cardio. (I was eating around 240 protein on the keto diet)

                            How often should I re-feed. 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 300? Should my refeed just be a cheat meal along with my usual food? Upon waking should I be eating pro/carb(on non cardio days), as well as right after morning cardio? Waxy maize(50g)+40g protein immediatley after workout+cardio? no carbs 3 hours before bed?

                            250p(1000cal)+200c(800cal)+50f(450cal)= 2250calories at 205 making it 10.9 calories per lbs, that sounds on the low side but I do have a decent amount of fat. I'm currently getting 3300+. over how long should I make this transition? I just want to get around 8% bf, not contest shape. Here are some pics: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...0&postcount=14

                            Thanks Layne, hope you make a full quick recovery, I've had my fair share of injuries and they are a burdon on the soul.
                            Trueprotein.com 5% Discount code- KEM010

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Youngguns View Post
                              Protein that low eh, that's scary although it would make the diet a lot easier... I'm guessing it's because I'm just preserving muscle and not adding too it right? Sorry, just your average parinoid bber, last cut I had I lost quite a bit of muscle, although I'm sure it was because of the cardio. (I was eating around 240 protein on the keto diet)

                              How often should I re-feed. 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 300? Should my refeed just be a cheat meal along with my usual food? Upon waking should I be eating pro/carb(on non cardio days), as well as right after morning cardio? Waxy maize(50g)+40g protein immediatley after workout+cardio? no carbs 3 hours before bed?

                              250p(1000cal)+200c(800cal)+50f(450cal)= 2250calories at 205 making it 10.9 calories per lbs, that sounds on the low side but I do have a decent amount of fat. I'm currently getting 3300+. over how long should I make this transition? I just want to get around 8% bf, not contest shape. Here are some pics: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...0&postcount=14

                              Thanks Layne, hope you make a full quick recovery, I've had my fair share of injuries and they are a burdon on the soul.
                              Damn, bro. Do some research. Layne's put pretty much ALL of this info. out there. You're basically asking him to do a diet for you.
                              Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Nitrotank View Post
                                Damn, bro. Do some research. Layne's put pretty much ALL of this info. out there. You're basically asking him to do a diet for you.
                                +2..

                                Either do your own damn research or pay for help. Stop posting 80 threads and 80 post on the same thing.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X