Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gymrat View Post
    layne,
    should one cycle creatine or just use it year round. because i know people who cycle and say that it loses it effect if you dont. and then i know people who use it year round and swear by it.
    layne recommends cycling it...

layne just stopping by hope all is well with your recovery. we know you will tear it up when you get back to it.

btw, any word on the release date of the dvd?

Comment

• Hi Layne, I found this thread through the .doc file compilation of your answers to the questions here.

I was wondering if you still believe that 1 gram / lb of bodyweight is enough protein for optimal strength and size gain?

I have always thought it was, but recently I signed up on Iron Addicts, and the guy who runs the forum says 1.5 g / lb. is the absolutely minimum one should be eating.

So, I'm confused as hell. I know what the science says but that guy says he trains thousands of people.

I also thought that you were eating more protein than just 1 g/ lb.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

All the best,
      Barry

http://barrysbodytransformation.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by banderbe View Post
        Hi Layne, I found this thread through the .doc file compilation of your answers to the questions here.

I was wondering if you still believe that 1 gram / lb of bodyweight is enough protein for optimal strength and size gain?

I have always thought it was, but recently I signed up on Iron Addicts, and the guy who runs the forum says 1.5 g / lb. is the absolutely minimum one should be eating.

So, I'm confused as hell. I know what the science says but that guy says he trains thousands of people.

All the best,
        Barry

I'll grab this since Layne's typing right now is 'not so fast' (done in my best Borat voice).
        This one is on carbs (good to accompany the protein one)
        http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne44.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/insidethelife5.htm

These are good places to start.
        Assistant to the regional manager.
        Iron8 approved

Comment

• Have a safe recovery Layne. I'm surprised how well you're dealing with this setback emotionally.. you have soooo much dedication. I'd be bummed out in your shoes and probably let other hobbies override bodybuidling. Keep strong man!

Comment

• Originally posted by banderbe View Post
            Hi Layne, I found this thread through the .doc file compilation of your answers to the questions here.

All the best,
            Barry

Hi Barry,

If all he can say is "this is the requirement" and he cannot back that up with a reasonable argument... there is a reason for that.

I do think going up to 1.5g/lb is useful for certain people but to say it's a 'minimum' is simply untrue
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Supernothing View Post
              Have a safe recovery Layne. I'm surprised how well you're dealing with this setback emotionally.. you have soooo much dedication. I'd be bummed out in your shoes and probably let other hobbies override bodybuidling. Keep strong man!
              thanks man, I love bodybuilding, I love lifting. They'd have to break all my limbs to get me out of the gym
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                thanks man, I love bodybuilding, I love lifting. They'd have to break all my limbs to get me out of the gym
                I was thinking you're going to have a challenge not contracting your pecs when you work legs. I'm pretty sure when I squat, I basically flex the shit out of everything. Let us know how it goes. [Hope that doesn't sound negative; I'm not trying to be--I guess it will just take a bit of readjustment]

Comment

• no i understand where you are coming from, when i first get back into squating with the safety bar I will definately start light.
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Layne,

Do you still use the 10g of BCAA's + Dex + Creatine + BA postworkout? Thanks and I hope you get well soon!

Comment

• yup
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Layne,

If I can I have two questions:
                        1. I was looking for some ideas for workouts on bb.com. Do you recomend a routine for chest like the article you put on that site (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne5.htm) for someone in their first year of body building or would you stick the the basics of a routine with barbell benches for a while?

The other routine I was looking at using was:
                        Barbell Bench Press (warm-up) 2X12-15
                        Barbell Bench Press 3X8-10
                        Incline Barbell Press (every third workout substitute dumbbells) 3X 8-10
                        Dumbbell Flyes # X 8-10.

2. The other question was for natural bodybuilders do you think it is important to establish a powerlifting base (one using good form, not just big numbers) initially when beginning training or would it be more productive to focus entirely on hypertrophy, just building big muscles? I keep hearing some pros say the more you lift the bigger the muscle, but I also remember see others professing the importance of good form over weight, though intensity is important.
                        Dustin
                        "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
                        John Ruskin

Comment

• sup layne, i was wondering if u listened to the dr. pescatore segment on NBR last wk. i mean everytime someone just come out and denounce somethin (in this case, carbohydrates consumption) so completely sounds fishy and propaganda-ish to me especially when he has a book coming out and all that. he was basically saying that even oatmeal or brown rice dont really have a place in a physique athletes diet (well he didnt really specify both offseason and precontest or just one or the other)

what u think of his arguments? is it scientific and sound enough for your critical eye?

have a very safe and speedy recovery man

Comment

• Originally posted by mophat63 View Post
                            sup layne, i was wondering if u listened to the dr. pescatore segment on NBR last wk. i mean everytime someone just come out and denounce somethin (in this case, carbohydrates consumption) so completely sounds fishy and propaganda-ish to me especially when he has a book coming out and all that. he was basically saying that even oatmeal or brown rice dont really have a place in a physique athletes diet (well he didnt really specify both offseason and precontest or just one or the other)

what u think of his arguments? is it scientific and sound enough for your critical eye?

have a very safe and speedy recovery man
                            no i have stated my reasonings for leaving carbohydrates in a diet many many times. please listen to my debate with dave on NBR
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                              no i have stated my reasonings for leaving carbohydrates in a diet many many times. please listen to my debate with dave on NBR
                              haha u dont know how many times i have listened to those 2 episodes of NBR when u and dave talked bout diets...

the biochemistry part of both schools (layne vs. dave) i understand and i guess what i really meant to ask is that what u think of people who use the "cavemen were essentially eating a very low carb diet" as the backbone of their arguments that carbohydrates are non essential in our diets. thanks again!!
                              Last edited by mophat63; March 31, 2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• couple quick questions layne.

i have a client early at 6am who i train for an hour. would it be okay to sip bcaa's during training and then have a big breakfast when i get home or should i have a whey shake and some fruit when i get up for sufficient cals to halt overnight catabolism?

also, how is this surgery/recovery effecting your lab work, studying, and overall quest for your PHD?

Comment

Working...
                                X