Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friendly suggestion, Layne: you could temporarily lock this thread while you heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by mophat63 View Post
      haha u dont know how many times i have listened to those 2 episodes of NBR when u and dave talked bout diets...

the biochemistry part of both schools (layne vs. dave) i understand and i guess what i really meant to ask is that what u think of people who use the "cavemen were essentially eating a very low carb diet" as the backbone of their arguments that carbohydrates are non essential in our diets. thanks again!!
      it's an asinine comparison. Cavemen were not trying to maximize physique enhancement to diet. To draw correlations between the two is a stretch... and thats putting it mildly.
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by west View Post
        Friendly suggestion, Layne: you could temporarily lock this thread while you heal.
        lol. don't matter bro. i got 70 emails on the day i had surgery itself. I was sitting there coming out of my morphine haze and tapping on my phone to answer emails. lol
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by AllGenetix View Post
          couple quick questions layne.

i have a client early at 6am who i train for an hour. would it be okay to sip bcaa's during training and then have a big breakfast when i get home or should i have a whey shake and some fruit when i get up for sufficient cals to halt overnight catabolism?

also, how is this surgery/recovery effecting your lab work, studying, and overall quest for your PHD?

get up at 3am and have some XTEND and there won't be any over night catabolism
          What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            Hi Barry,

If all he can say is "this is the requirement" and he cannot back that up with a reasonable argument... there is a reason for that.

I do think going up to 1.5g/lb is useful for certain people but to say it's a 'minimum' is simply untrue
            Here's my issue:

I'm 6', 175 lbs., between 155-160 lbs LBM. On training days I'm eating 3400 cal.

If I only eat 175 grams of protein, I have a boatload of calories left to fill up. I see most guys, including you, I believe, keeping fat at less than 75 grams. So that leaves me eating 500 grams of carbs. I'm not sure that's good for maintaining good insulin sensitivity. On the other hand, if I increase fat calories I'm not sure if that's okay either since fat is more readily stored as fat.

So it seems like the advantage there to eating more protein would be simply to avoid having to make up more calories from carbs/fat.

Comment

• i've had plenty of people consuming 500-600g of carbs and maintain their insulin sensitivity just fine. If you are working out hard and not genetically disposed to having problems with it, you are not going to become insulin insensitive generally just from eating more carbohydrates.

I mean don't get me wrong, just because I say there is not additional muscle building benefity to eating over 1g/lb bodyweight for most people doesn't mean you can't eat more, I eat 250g per day, but I just think these 500g protein/day diets are stupid and absurd
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

i've had plenty of people consuming 500-600g of carbs and maintain their insulin sensitivity just fine. If you are working out hard and not genetically disposed to having problems with it, you are not going to become insulin insensitive generally just from eating more carbohydrates.

I mean don't get me wrong, just because I say there is not additional muscle building benefity to eating over 1g/lb bodyweight for most people doesn't mean you can't eat more, I eat 250g per day, but I just think these 500g protein/day diets are stupid and absurd
                So do you feel that for you personally there is a benefit to eating more than 1g/lb or do you just do it to fill macros with something other than more carbs/fat and if so, why?

Comment

• Layne my buddy just got a 6 month program with you wait till you see this genetic freak...
                  http://www.anabolic-society.com/forum.php

Comment

• well some more good news today. Today was the University of Illinois Nutritional Science Symposium and we had our poster competition. Last year I won the poster competition. U of IL is a very prestigious university for nutrition so I was amazed that I had won. This year I was quite sure I was not going to win, I just felt some of my data wasn't as good as last year but I felt I still presented it well. When they were announcing the winners I was off talking to someone else because I knew I wasn't going to win, and then sure enough I heard my name called in 1st place LOL. So I guess the judges liked it more than I thought they would. That makes 2 years in a row I've won the poster competition. I'm really happy about that. It's a big confidence boost to have other people in the nutrition field let you know that they think your research is interesting and that you present it well.

-Layne
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

well some more good news today. Today was the University of Illinois Nutritional Science Symposium and we had our poster competition. Last year I won the poster competition. U of IL is a very prestigious university for nutrition so I was amazed that I had won. This year I was quite sure I was not going to win, I just felt some of my data wasn't as good as last year but I felt I still presented it well. When they were announcing the winners I was off talking to someone else because I knew I wasn't going to win, and then sure enough I heard my name called in 1st place LOL. So I guess the judges liked it more than I thought they would. That makes 2 years in a row I've won the poster competition. I'm really happy about that. It's a big confidence boost to have other people in the nutrition field let you know that they think your research is interesting and that you present it well.

-Layne
                      thats pretty cool man, what info were you presenting this year? If its really complicated and you don't want to type it all out with 1 arm feel free to just dumb it waay down for me (I probably need it anyway )
                      Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                      http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Congrats coach! Really great to see someone work hard, strive for excellence and get the reward due!

Comment

• Congratulations. It doesn't surprise me much.

Comment

• Layne, in using a ketogenic approach to dieting, would supplementing with BCAA's and EAA's raise insulin pre cardio? I usually like to have an amino shake before cardio and sip on BCAA's during my workout...

I just heard that this can raise my insulin and blunt liploysis... if it's true I just wasted 4 weeks of my life unless it isn't significant.

Comment

• my god, this is the problem when you have people who only have a linear view of everything claiming to be gurus, you get misinformation everywhere. They give you this idea that if you release any insulin at all you shut down fat burning everywhere. That's so much BS I can't even begin. Insulin is not all or nothing, it's concentration dependent, unless you really significantly raise insulin concentrations over A PERIOD OF TIME (hours) you are not going to have significantly blunted lipolysis.
                              In the case of BCAAs this is laughable because the insulin release is not only small but it's very short. You see insulin release is typically biphasic in response to carbohydrates; you get a dumping of stored insulin and then over time your pancreas starts producing more and you get a second increase in blood insulin from insulin being produced to dispose of the glucose in the periphery as needed. In the case of BCAAs, you only get the initial release of insulin, the second phase of release never occurs. It's a very small short release of insulin and anyone claiming it will blunt fat burning is kidding themselves. Furthermore, research done by Suzanne Devkota in our lab has shown that you actually get significant blunting of the second phase of the insulin response when eating a high protein diet with carbohydrates... that is, you don't get a ton of insulin released when you eat complete meals with protein and carbs/fiber. So all the friggin' big deal all these guys make out of insulin spikes blunting fat burning when talking about small or moderate carbohydrate intake or in this case BCAA intake... well they just haven't read the research.
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

my god, this is the problem when you have people who only have a linear view of everything claiming to be gurus, you get misinformation everywhere. They give you this idea that if you release any insulin at all you shut down fat burning everywhere. That's so much BS I can't even begin. Insulin is not all or nothing, it's concentration dependent, unless you really significantly raise insulin concentrations over A PERIOD OF TIME (hours) you are not going to have significantly blunted lipolysis.
                                In the case of BCAAs this is laughable because the insulin release is not only small but it's very short. You see insulin release is typically biphasic in response to carbohydrates; you get a dumping of stored insulin and then over time your pancreas starts producing more and you get a second increase in blood insulin from insulin being produced to dispose of the glucose in the periphery as needed. In the case of BCAAs, you only get the initial release of insulin, the second phase of release never occurs. It's a very small short release of insulin and anyone claiming it will blunt fat burning is kidding themselves. Furthermore, research done by Suzanne Devkota in our lab has shown that you actually get significant blunting of the second phase of the insulin response when eating a high protein diet with carbohydrates... that is, you don't get a ton of insulin released when you eat complete meals with protein and carbs/fiber. So all the friggin' big deal all these guys make out of insulin spikes blunting fat burning when talking about small or moderate carbohydrate intake or in this case BCAA intake... well they just haven't read the research.

thank god you're a main of science... not a man of faith... (LOST quote..)

so I should feel free to continue using my BCAA's and EAA's pre cardio and intraworkout on my high protein, moderate fat, low carbohydrate diet.

Thanks Layne

Comment

Working...
                                X