Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn straight brother!
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Layne, you rock.

That is all.
      What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        well some more good news today. Today was the University of Illinois Nutritional Science Symposium and we had our poster competition. Last year I won the poster competition. U of IL is a very prestigious university for nutrition so I was amazed that I had won. This year I was quite sure I was not going to win, I just felt some of my data wasn't as good as last year but I felt I still presented it well. When they were announcing the winners I was off talking to someone else because I knew I wasn't going to win, and then sure enough I heard my name called in 1st place LOL. So I guess the judges liked it more than I thought they would. That makes 2 years in a row I've won the poster competition. I'm really happy about that. It's a big confidence boost to have other people in the nutrition field let you know that they think your research is interesting and that you present it well.

-Layne
        Bro big congrats on that one. You know damn well they wanted some fresh meat to present that award to, but when you got it, you got it.
        I keep telling you that you're going to be a mogul. Stuff like that has to look pretty spicy on a resume
        Assistant to the regional manager.
        Iron8 approved

Comment

• Seems like on 250g of protein a day you are getting all the BCAAs you need. Probably a stupid question, but why supplement in that case?

Comment

• Originally posted by banderbe View Post
            Seems like on 250g of protein a day you are getting all the BCAAs you need. Probably a stupid question, but why supplement in that case?

Question for Layne. I am reading quite a few positive reviews about BCAAs. But I don't understand why someone needs it if they eat proper nutrion pre en post workout. When you eat a balanced meal 1 to 2 hours before your workout and about an half our before a whey shake with oats you have plenty of BCAA in your nutrition that helps to combat protein breakdown. So what's the advantages of BCAA during your workout or some BCAA midnight in comparison to a blended protein shake.

Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote

-------------------------------
            Despite the numerous positive benefits to BCAA supplementation, there are many skeptics who suggest that BCAAs are overpriced and that one can just increase their consumption of whey protein which is rich in BCAAs. Unfortunately this is not the case. The BCAAs in whey are peptide bound to other amino acids and must be liberated through digestion & absorbed into the bloodstream to exert their effects. Even though whey protein is relatively fast digesting, it still takes several hours for all the amino acids to be liberated & absorbed into the bloodstream. BCAAs in supplement form however, are free form BCAAs and require no digestion and are therefore rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids. Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels of BCAAs to a much greater extent than a 30g dose of whey protein, impacting protein synthesis and protein degradation to a much greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver, therefore an oral supplement is more like a BCAA injection since it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly.

On Why Layne likes BCAA supplementation:

Why do you love bcaa supplements so much when my protein powder + my multi have a higher number of bcaas in a serving as do many of the bcaa supplements out there. I use optimum whey protein (2 scoops) and animal pak multi vitamin post workout amongst other things.
            This should answer your question http://www.strengthandscience.com/january/article5.htm

Recommended BCAA dosing:
            What is the recommended dosage to notice results with BCAA, because they are expensive and not to mention im in college , 5g pre/ 5 g post
            5g with breakfast, 5g preworkout, 10g post workout, 5g before bed would be very good

On BCAA supplementation on a tight budget:
            Guess bcaa's are out for me, that would run me like 60 dollars a month on top of food and my foundation supplements (whey,creatine,multi,antioxidants and fishoil)
            You could do 5g preworkout & 10g post and still get decent results

BCCA vs EAA

What do you think about EAA as supplements compared to BCAA only?
            EAA contains the BCAA as well as all other EAAs.
            What are the cons and pros if we compare these to eachother?

BCAA>EAA

Comment

• ive followed laynes protocol on B.C.A.A S and all i can say is im gettin the best results ive ever had in my life!!!!dropping body fat...building lean muscle...strength constantly increasing...shit i can even see a vein in my bicep!!!ive never had a vein in my bicep!!!!lmfao

Comment

• LOL

I've only been doing them post workout but I think I'll add a dose somewhere else during the day...maybe pre-workout.

Comment

• Don't mean to steal Layne's thread......but with all the posts on BCAA's recently I was wondering what product is everyone using to take them other then XTEND?? To get 5 grams in the morning and before bed I have to take 10 Optimum Nutrition BCAA pills which just feels like a lot! And I've triend just downing BCAA unflavored but that shit is nasty!! Any products you have found with more grams of BCAA per pill??

Thanks in advance,
                  CarpeDiem

Comment

• Originally posted by Quelly View Post
                    thats pretty cool man, what info were you presenting this year? If its really complicated and you don't want to type it all out with 1 arm feel free to just dumb it waay down for me (I probably need it anyway )
                    ...always ignoring a brotha
                    Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• hope you are kidding bro. i had over 70 unread emails in my inbox. The research is getting presented this weekend (not by me i can't travel) at experimental biology so I'm not going to disclose what it's on yet... after this coming monday when my advisor presents it there I will.

I'm sorry for the delay but I do the best I can

-Layne
                      BioLayne LLC
                      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

hope you are kidding bro. i had over 70 unread emails in my inbox. The research is getting presented this weekend (not by me i can't travel) at experimental biology so I'm not going to disclose what it's on yet... after this coming monday when my advisor presents it there I will.

I'm sorry for the delay but I do the best I can

-Layne
                        totally, just was honestly interested and didn't want my post to get lost in a sea of "what supps you take?" questions flooding the thread...and its totally cool...your one armed, busy and I didn't know you couldnt disclose anything yet, totally understandable. No need to apologize for any delays on anything....I'm not expecting anything out of you like you have an obligation, I'm just curious. Congrats on winning 2x in a row.
                        Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                        http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem87 View Post
                          Don't mean to steal Layne's thread......but with all the posts on BCAA's recently I was wondering what product is everyone using to take them other then XTEND?? To get 5 grams in the morning and before bed I have to take 10 Optimum Nutrition BCAA pills which just feels like a lot! And I've triend just downing BCAA unflavored but that shit is nasty!! Any products you have found with more grams of BCAA per pill??

Thanks in advance,
                          CarpeDiem

I use XTEND now because I like the flavour but before that I was downing ON BCAA's mixed with flavoured waxy maize which wasn't too bad but the BCAA's still made it way too bitter.

Comment

• John Berardi likes a product called ICE.

I tried the grape and it was pretty good.

Unfortunately BCAAs are so freaking expensive I just can't justify the cost.

I might pick some up again when I start cutting but I don't really see the point for bulking up.

Comment

well some more good news today. Today was the University of Illinois Nutritional Science Symposium and we had our poster competition. Last year I won the poster competition. U of IL is a very prestigious university for nutrition so I was amazed that I had won. This year I was quite sure I was not going to win, I just felt some of my data wasn't as good as last year but I felt I still presented it well. When they were announcing the winners I was off talking to someone else because I knew I wasn't going to win, and then sure enough I heard my name called in 1st place LOL. So I guess the judges liked it more than I thought they would. That makes 2 years in a row I've won the poster competition. I'm really happy about that. It's a big confidence boost to have other people in the nutrition field let you know that they think your research is interesting and that you present it well.

-Layne
                              Your a meathead

(thats a joke folks, Layne is the complete opposite)
                              VP of Marketing for Nutrabio
                              instagram @naturalguy2.0

Comment

• Layne, are you going to the OCB hall of fame show in Philly tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X