Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joshdickinson View Post
    hey layne glad to see your getting there. Mate I always thought that HMB was a bogus supplement? Also a question, has your style of training changed any since the accident? Are you taking it a little slower or still balls to the wall

well obviously i can't do many exercises, not sure how I'll approach it, I hope that I'm safe, but not tentative.

HMB is not bogus, its just that it is not used in proper situations. It's a very powerful inhibitor of protein breakdown and has been shown to reduce atrophy during inactivity, immobilization, and cachexia. It has also been shown to work in novice trainers, but not advanced, probably due to the fact that novice trainers can inflict significantly greater muscle damage than advanced trainers during a session.
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by ScorpioChiq View Post
      Ok, somewhere on this thread Layne discussed either his opinion of, or protocol for, glucose disposal agents - can someone point me to it? Layne, is it worthwhile using them (as valuable as say fish oils), or just a nice addition that 'may' help someone who is dieting. Thanks Hun!
      I scorpiochiq, I think my article on lipoic acid may be useful for you. I believe the link is http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne25.htm
      BioLayne LLC
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Here's a simple one for you, Layne--are wheat products estrogenic (especially with regard to breakfast wheat biscuits)?

Comment

• This goes to Layne or anyone else with a science background that wants to inject their opinion

Ibuprofen or acetaminophen in long-term resistance training increases muscle mass/strength

As stated in the article, studies up until now have said that both NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen) and tylenol derivatives decrease muscle protein synthesis via blocking the cox-1 and cox-2 enzymes. But apparently these were only 24-hour studies. Over a longer 3-month period of regular NSAID and tylenol usage, muscle protein synthesis increases, according to the author of this study. Any opinions??

Comment

• since it is an abstract i can't see thefull study... don't know what to make of it
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Layne,
              Have you ever watched Rob Hope's dvd Arm Yourself? I was thinking about buying it
              NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                yep, many of my clients are women actually

Hey Layne, without giving away the farm of course, how do YOU manipulate the diet differently for women - especially so they can attack lower body fat.

Comment

• Originally posted by west View Post
                  Here's a simple one for you, Layne--are wheat products estrogenic (especially with regard to breakfast wheat biscuits)?
                  You asking whether it's ok to keep eating Weetbix for breakfast?

Comment

• Originally posted by suhnton View Post
                    You asking whether it's ok to keep eating Weetbix for breakfast?
                    Pretty much (actually, I eat it all day--it's just so convenient).

You from New Zealander, too?

I heard an interview with a personal trainer off "The Biggest Loser", and she mentioned that wheat was estrogenic, so should be avoided. I've never heard of this before.

Comment

well obviously i can't do many exercises, not sure how I'll approach it, I hope that I'm safe, but not tentative.

HMB is not bogus, its just that it is not used in proper situations. It's a very powerful inhibitor of protein breakdown and has been shown to reduce atrophy during inactivity, immobilization, and cachexia. It has also been shown to work in novice trainers, but not advanced, probably due to the fact that novice trainers can inflict significantly greater muscle damage than advanced trainers during a session.
                      Layne, do you think HMB could be useful for maintaining muscle mass when dieting?
                      www.ironbrendan.com

Comment

• Originally posted by west View Post
                        Pretty much (actually, I eat it all day--it's just so convenient).
                        You from New Zealander, too?
                        Yeah, but I've been living in Japan for the last 6 years.

P.S: Sorry Layne for going off-topic

Comment

• Originally posted by ScorpioChiq View Post
                          Hey Layne, without giving away the farm of course, how do YOU manipulate the diet differently for women - especially so they can attack lower body fat.
                          yes, cardio especially
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

yea I couldn't quite grasp that decision. Though I did think they got the overall winner right which was a surprise to me.

well, the LHWT winner is dating a girl that is working with one of the judges.........very disturbing
                            2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

Comment

• hey layne Im 10 weeks out from a natural show (started 21 weeks out) and I was wondering if you think that I should stick with the heavy resistance training or should I do more higher volume training to really rush the blood into the muscles. Also I have been taking an amino acid drink during my workout to saturate the blood while its being pumped into the muscle. Hve you heard of the fascial stretch training?

Comment

• Hey, layne what is the maximum grams of fat I can take in on a refeed day?
                                Right now it seems I will have to take in 40 grams of fat, is this too much?

Comment

Working...
                                X