Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey layne question with adductor and abductor machines? are these any help to building size onto the legs? i mean if one is doing squats and leg press/hack squats in a workout would these machines be of any benifit? or they better left alone

Comment

• Layne theres a discussion going on in the bbding and science articles...about Bcaas,{mixed reviews on bcaas}is there any chance you could chip in there and add your thoughts to the discussion???

Comment

• Layne, you know more about the body than anyone I know... let me know if you can help me out here...

When I flex my biceps and feel with my fingers on the head, I feel a little dip, a groove if you will, that runs exactly where your huge ass bicep vein is in your picture... now, I'm not that vascular because I just started dieting, and to be honest, I'm not that vascular to begin with - is this ridge where the vein is, or is this just an attribute of the muscle. I'm hoping to get that pipe come show time - if not, I'm not going to cry about it, but I just wanted to know what those grooves were in both my biceps.

Comment

• 1. i have always liked reverse pyramiding... doing my heaviest sets when i'm freshest and lightening the load up as i get tired.
          2. the medical journels suggest stopping 4 inches about the chest to prevent injury.
          3. might have small benefit

Originally posted by fast-twitch View Post
          1. as far as warming up goes , with reverse pyramid training and pyramid training is one more superior to the other as far as muscle growth? or is it personal preference? always thought reverse pyramid was more for powerlifters and people looking for strength

2.with bench pressing and dumbell chest press, i'm getting mixed answers with this question , but how far should one lower the barbell or dumbbell to the chest to get the best results without injury? me and my buddy always fight about this topic

3. adductor and abductor machines? are these any help to building size onto the legs? i mean if one is doing squats and leg press/hack squats in a workout would these machines be of any benifit? or they better left alone

thanks again layne and best of luck with the healing process
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillyXJ View Post
            Layne, you know more about the body than anyone I know... let me know if you can help me out here...

When I flex my biceps and feel with my fingers on the head, I feel a little dip, a groove if you will, that runs exactly where your huge ass bicep vein is in your picture... now, I'm not that vascular because I just started dieting, and to be honest, I'm not that vascular to begin with - is this ridge where the vein is, or is this just an attribute of the muscle. I'm hoping to get that pipe come show time - if not, I'm not going to cry about it, but I just wanted to know what those grooves were in both my biceps.
            not sure... pics?
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              2. the medical journels suggest stopping 4 inches about the chest to prevent injury.
              I find that very interesting. When I go all the way to my chest, I get pain in my shoulders every time.

Comment

• Layne, what are your thoughts on Milos's style of training, with the giant sets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnnielow
                  Layne,

Glad that you are healing ahead of schedule. I read that you said that you won't ever bench again, but do you think that you will return to dumbbell bench presses and just ignore the barbell bench?

And do you think the dumbbell bench puts you at as much risk as the barbell bench for pec injury or tear?

Thank you!
                  i think dumbbell press has much less risk but i'll probably stick to incline dumbbells
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by TITO72 View Post
                    Layne, what are your thoughts on Milos's style of training, with the giant sets?
                    i think it's great for supercompensation, and fluid cell swelling/sarcoplasmic hypertrophy... but it only takes advantage of one mechanism of hypertrophy... not all
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Well tonight was one of my 3 leg days/week i'm doing and all I've been doing for quads is leg press, extensions, and bodyweight lunges... and I was so sick of it. I had to squat... I didn't care if it meant only using one arm on the smith machine... so be it. It felt so good to squat. I could have easily gone heavier but I didn't want to be stupid with it. It just felt good to squat again. Had isabel stand there to make sure the bar stayed across my back.

oh man did I miss squats

-Layne
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

not sure... pics?
                        Sorry Layne, it's a groove you FEEL not SEE unfortunately.

The only info I could find was that the vein is called the caphallic vein, but I'm not sure if the "groove" I feel is where that vein travels - if it is, I'm simply just not lean enough yet!

Comment

i think it's great for supercompensation, and fluid cell swelling/sarcoplasmic hypertrophy... but it only takes advantage of one mechanism of hypertrophy... not all
                          So do you think its something good to do on a refeed day or a low carb day?

Comment

• Originally posted by hulk7280 View Post
                            So do you think its something good to do on a refeed day or a low carb day?
                            for fat loss, probably lower carb day
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

1. i have always liked reverse pyramiding... doing my heaviest sets when i'm freshest and lightening the load up as i get tired.
                              3. might have small benefit

How is the performance of sets using decreasing resistance "reverse pyramiding"? I ask the same question when people that use progressive resistance sets claim they are "pyramiding". If the resistance used for each set continually increases or decreases until all sets are performed, it is cannot be a "pyramid".

To use a pyramid approach while doing an exercise, the resistance must increase from set to set up to a point in which the resistance is then decreased on each subsequent set until all have been completed.

I have seen many younger weightlifters and bodybuilders use decreasing resistance on heavy compound exercises in order be as strong as possible for their heaviest set. From a safety standpoint, I believe this to be a mistake in that the weight should not be the primary goal. The benefit of using progressive resistance up to the heaviest sets that will be performed allow for the muscles and tendons to be prepared for the load they will be required to handle. Considering the multitude of other intensity building training methods out there that can be incorporated, it would seem that decreasing resistance would be one of the more risky approaches to pursue (if the goal is truly to push as much weight as possible at the beginning of the workout when you are fresh).

Comment

• Damn Layne! You sure know how to fire a guy up!
                                Those pictures are just pure 'Piss off! I'm not going down!'
                                Love it man.
                                Oh and yes I do have legs tonight lol
                                Assistant to the regional manager.
                                Iron8 approved

Comment

Working...
                                X