Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well my safety squat bar came in. Did my first squat workout with it. 5 sets of 8 with 295 (the bar weighs 65 lbs). Felt great. Wanted to workup slow since the pad does sit on the spot where I tore it, but so far no problems, felt great.

-Layne
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Nice looking piece of equipment. I bet it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than a standard bar.

Comment

• supplement questions

man nothing can stop you, you got heart getting under that bar in your condition

but i had a few supplemnt q's

1. im taking green tea and ala as my antioxidant cocktail, my only thing is how much should i be taking of both to ensure im getting enough/not going overboard? im 230lbs, the ala are 100mg oills and the green tea is 300mg of green tea extract (camellia sinensis) plant part:leaf, 95% polyphenols, 40% egcg per pill

2. whats your take of evening primrose oil , is it worth the money?

3. can you recomend a good supplement to start my summer cut, never tried a fat burning supplement during a cut

thanks again and feel better

Comment

• Lighting

Another question I have is about lighting.

In good light, I look decently vascular, with good muscle separation and decent size for a natural teen. But in department store shit light (or even in my bathroom at night) I look soft and smooth. Does this bother me only because I am young and self conscious, or does it bother older bodybuilders too? How do you guys handle this, especially when dieting and easily frustrated?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suss1 View Post
            Another question I have is about lighting.

In good light, I look decently vascular, with good muscle separation and decent size for a natural teen. But in department store shit light (or even in my bathroom at night) I look soft and smooth. Does this bother me only because I am young and self conscious, or does it bother older bodybuilders too? How do you guys handle this, especially when dieting and easily frustrated?

Thanks.
            Speaking as an older bodybuilder, YES! That's one of the reasons I strive to stay in reasonably muscular condition year round these days. The best advice I can give you is be patient. It takes time to get into top condition. Most of the younger bodybuilders at my gym don't allow enough time to really get into muscular condition. How long will it take you? That all depends on your current condition but I wouldn't diet for less than 12 weeks and I personally take much longer,16-18 weeks. I have always tried to be in shape well ahead of the contest, this gives you time to make adjustments if needed. Just remember conditioning will get you very far in competition. (I hope I haven't over stepped my boundaries here Layne!)

Comment

• So do you just walk in the gym with a safety squat bar or do they let you leave it there?
              www.ironbrendan.com

Comment

• Layne,
                I hope everything is going well with your recovery. I am preparing for a show and I was wondering what ratios you use for P/C/F?
                I'm a mesmo sooo, I was looking at around 1.5g P/lb. 1.0g C/lb, and .4g F/lb.

Comment

• Also, do you still consume about 1/2 of your daily carb intake pre/intra/post workout when dieting? I like spreading them out through the day at meal1,3,4,5.

Comment

• I need some diet advice im about 17-18% BF maybe slightly higher not sure.
                    Im 6"2 and 240lbs.

My BMR is 2190 and my maintainence without activity is 2600. Im doing weights 3-4 times a week fullbody training routine. and cardio i just started 60minutes 5x a week on my stationery bike at home.

Meal 1:
                    10 large egg whites
                    60g Oats

(Preworkout Drink comprising of 18g's of carbs + 5g BCAA's)
                    (During workout i drink BCAA's about 5-10g)

Meal one totals: 485 cals... 54 protein... 57 carbs... 5 fat

Workout * (60-75min bodypart split 4 days a week) 12 sets for larger bodyparts, 7-8 for smaller bodyparts.

Meal 2:
                    2 1/2 Scoops of Whey
                    1 Serve of Vitargo CGL or 10 rice cakes

or Equivalant Whole Food Meal

Meal two totals: 560 cals... 56 pro....62 carb....

Meal 3:
                    10 egg whites or 170g of Tuna
                    Brown Rice 70-80g

Meal 3 totals: 310.... 44 protein.... 20 carbs.... 2g fat

Meal 4:
                    224g of Chicken Breast
                    1/2 Tbsp Flaxseed oil and 7 Fish Oil Capsules
                    Vegetables

Meal 4 Totals: 440cals...65pro.... 14g Fat....

Meal 5:
                    170g Tuna
                    Veggies

Meal 5 totals.... 300cals... 37.5pro....

Meal 6:

2 scoops of Whey + 1tbs invisible fibre + 1/2 Tbsp Flaxseed oil and 7 Fish Oil Capsules 380cals.... 46g....protein 14g.... Fat
                    OR
                    Lean Steak + Vegetables + 7 Fish Oil Capsules
                    380cals.... 46g....protein 14g.... Fat

My maintenance with cardio 800cals per session, 400 cals per session of weights would be 3800 so maybe 2500-2800 would be better im not sure. Should i adjust calories on different days also?

Just not sure how much of a deficit each day i should have, i also will be using some anabolic support so that might make it easier to keep calories lower.

Any info would be good.

Comment

• Hi Layne, forgive me if this has been covered here already.

When you do your mini bulk/cut cycles I am guessing you just immediately jump from cutting to bulking calories, without any transition between the two, correct? I'd think if you only cut for a few weeks your metabolism is still ramped up and jumping back up 1000 calories to do the bulk cycle doesn't result in any extra fat gain, unlike someone who has been dieting for a long time.

On a related note, do you have all of your clients follow this mini bulk/cut cycle? If not, how long do you allow a client to diet down before you bring them back to maintenance calories?

I think I recall Dan Duchaine saying he would never diet longer than 8 weeks.

Comment

• All those same questions over and over...

I'm wondering if the FREE info Layne's giving aay in 230 pages is even read?
                        And 2nd al the info you guys ask and find it naturally Layne answer this for free? That's just unfair for all his clients!

At least that's how I think .. there's got to be a line dudes ... :-)

Read this it almost covers ALL: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne.htm

(it's not because I don't post much.. that I don't read MD every day )

Comment

• awesome Layne.

Comment

• layne, what do you think of this routine? (hitting everything every fifth day)

shoulders/arms
                            legs
                            rest
                            back/chest
                            rest
                            shoulders/arms
                            etc...

Comment

• Ok got back from the doc today

He says I am healing great. We are still touch and go though according to him, I'm still being held together by "superglue" LOL. He said at 8 weeks post surgery I'll "start to have tissue that's worth a damn." LOL. So we won't be doing any loading for 2 more weeks. BUT he did take my brace off... OH MY GOD IT FEELS SO GOOD TO MOVE! I cannot stress how much we all take our daily functions forgranted. We really do. Not being able to reach with your right hand, or play sports, or even hold Isabel with my right arm... it sucked. He gave me some stretches to do and said I'm already pretty flexible compared to where he thought I might be so that's good.

I also talked to him about my leg workouts. He said he wants to wait 2 more weeks for the safety squat bar; said he's concerned about it pressing on the tissue, so that's out for 2 more weeks; but that's ok. He said one armed smith machine is totally fine so I'll be hammering lots of those. I just feel so blessed that I'm pulling through this and it looks like I just might get out with nothing but a scar. Once again; I know these things are not life and death, but I love bodybuilding and am so excited at the prospect of being able to continue to do it. I didn't take pics today but I am going to take some tommorow. My right arm is down just over an inch, and my right pec is now visably atrophied... still not as bad as I thought it would be. But I have gained some size on my legs... I'll take it!

Ok I am going to bed, will get to your questions tomorrow guys!

-Layne
                              BioLayne LLC
                              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Great to hear Layne... I'm glad your spirits are so high, must be great to actually use both hands to type now, especially w/me annoying you with so many questions
                                NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

Working...
                                X