Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I look forward to your presentation at the ISSN conference this year Layne. This topic is definitely one which has great merit for us all.

"Optimal protein intake and meal frequency to support maximal protein synthesis and muscle mass "

I hope you recovery is going well too.

-D
    Heretic

Comment

• Thanks Bro.

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyFX View Post
        Layne I really enjoyed the podcast on NoBull radio with you and Dave discussing PreContest dieting. You mentioned if a person has to go too low in carbs (I'm assuming starchy carbs) because of insulin sensitivity, they should probably go Keto completely. Did I understand that correctly? I am totally fine if my starches are non existent to very very low precontest dieting, but if I have oatmeal in the morning or raise my starches even a bit, I get hungry and have cravings. I am a precontest advisor as well and have a team of girls competing and they are all on way higher carbs than myself. So I was just wondering the reasoning behind going keto or just keeping starches as low as possible without taking them out all together? Wouldn't it be better to keep as few as possible in?

Thanks so much for your time answering this and please, take your time. I know you are so busy and I just appreciate an answer whenever you are able to. Thanks soooo much again I am reading through all the pages in this thread but perhaps havent gotten to all of your answers so I just hope this isn't a repeat question.
        well typically if you hover at the edge of ketosis it can make you more hungry rather than just going full blown into ketosis. But what most people don't realize is you can have small amounts of starches and still stay in ketosis. And if it isn't making you hungry I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's certainly not going to significantly impede fat loss in my opinion.

-Layne
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Deserusan View Post
          I look forward to your presentation at the ISSN conference this year Layne. This topic is definitely one which has great merit for us all.

"Optimal protein intake and meal frequency to support maximal protein synthesis and muscle mass "

I hope you recovery is going well too.

-D
          thanks daniel. It's going to be crazy putting that talk together, it is the week after I get back from my honeymoon
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            well typically if you hover at the edge of ketosis it can make you more hungry rather than just going full blown into ketosis. But what most people don't realize is you can have small amounts of starches and still stay in ketosis. And if it isn't making you hungry I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's certainly not going to significantly impede fat loss in my opinion.

-Layne
            Wonderful, thanks so much Layne. Now I will continue to read the rest of this thread.
            Delphene Balan~ 2007 Muscle Beach Overall FBB

Comment

thanks daniel. It's going to be crazy putting that talk together, it is the week after I get back from my honeymoon
              Yeah, it's an hour long. No pressure! lol.
              Heretic

Comment

• oh content won't be a problem, there's plenty. It's just organizing it and making it so something everyone in the room can understand is tough. YOu want to make it complex enough so that it satisfies the deep mechanisms but you also don't want to assume everyone there has too high of a level of knowledge of the systems you specialize in or you risk them not getting any of it and tuning you out
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• Hey layne i got a question ( answer when you can, no rush )

I was wondering if you know of any good natural bodybuilding training dvd's? so far i got

john hansen's real muscle
                  john hansens seminar
                  john harris's training dvd

was gonna buy a book called extreme muscle enhancement , but after fliping through it, it was just the same old basic information , trying to get more information from experience and top natural's experience, kinda like tips and tricks. you still making your dvd in the future? cause i know your crazy busy now.

- j reds

Comment

• dvd is in the editing process working on the final draft of it... should be out hopefully by june
                    rob hope has a dvd out called arm yourself i believe
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Layne, I have a couple of questions to you regarding diet and getting back into shape. My goal is 6-8% bodyfat. Right now I am at 10-11%.

Here is a little background info so far:

• This winter I bulked up to 195 pounds at 5'9 and about 13-14%. ( I am 22 years old)
                      • The third week of march I started a cut.
                      • I reduced my calories (which were previously 4000 calories a day) to 2500/day for 2 weeks, 2250 a day for the next 2 weeks and 2000 for the following two weeks. I kept protein high (averaged 250 grams/day)
                      • I have been dieting 6 weeks so far and have had good success.
                      • My waist went from slightly over a 34 to a 32 1/4 now and while I have lost some mass, I am very happy with what I have retained. I am about 180 pounds now.
                      • I also am training 3-4 times/week along with moderate intensity cardio 5-6 times a week at 45 minutes per session. I have been keeping protein high, about 200-250 grams/day along with low fat and low carbs (any carbs I consumer are either fruits and veggies or whole grain, low-glycemic index carbohydrates)

Now, for me to reach 6-8% by June 1 and if I am at 10-11% right now, what is your advice for me to achieve my goal. Should I be reducing calories further while keeping protein high to say 1600-1800 calories/ day? Should I add double cardio sessions for the month of may? I feel that I have reached a plateau. A 2-3% bodyfat reduction over a 4 week period I believe is a realistic goal, however, like I said I feel like I have reached a plateau, what are your suggestions for me to maintain as much mass as possibly while getting rid of this last little bit of bodyfat?

Comment

• Originally posted by Suss1 View Post
                        Hey guys.

I'm six weeks out tomorrow and I'm experiencing the oddest craving. No, not for food, but for women. I'm supposed to go on this double date tomorrow night with some lights out blonde chick I've had my eyes on for a while. Problem is, it'll probably mean missing a meal, as the movie is around two hours long + driving and whatever else goes on. I told myself at the beginning of the diet that I wouldn't miss a single meal for any reason, and I haven't, but I'm getting an overwhelming desire to do some work on the blonde tomorrow night. Have any of you guys ever been in this situation before? What did you tell yourself to make sitting at home with some chicken more appealing than hooking up with a gorgeous chick? By the way I'm 17 so that explains the ramped up sex drive. Please help me!

Thanks.
                        lol, lucky guy, last time I was 6 weeks out I had such low libido I was more excited about the calories I would burn during sex than the actual sex
                        Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                        http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Quelly View Post
                          lol, lucky guy, last time I was 6 weeks out I had such low libido I was more excited about the calories I would burn during sex than the actual sex
                          You know man I had no sex drive either the first 5-6 weeks I was dieting. This was the first time I had an impulse. Keep in mind that I am 17 though. To give an update on the situation, I ended up hooking up with her and didn't miss a meal. Well, I was 1/2 an hour late, but I guess that's a fair trade off.

Btw, Layne I have no idea how you began a new relationship six weeks out from a show. I guess it's different with somebody from the Industry. Doing this first show has really shown me why most people in the industry are involved with other people in the industry...the rest of the world really doesn't get what it takes, do they?

Comment

• Originally posted by deulense View Post
                            Layne, I have a couple of questions to you regarding diet and getting back into shape. My goal is 6-8% bodyfat. Right now I am at 10-11%.

Here is a little background info so far:

This winter I bulked up to 195 pounds at 5'9 and about 13-14%. ( I am 22 years old)
                            The third week of march I started a cut.
                            I reduced my calories (which were previously 4000 calories a day) to 2500/day for 2 weeks, 2250 a day for the next 2 weeks and 2000 for the following two weeks. I kept protein high (averaged 250 grams/day)
                            I have been dieting 6 weeks so far and have had good success.
                            My waist went from slightly over a 34 to a 32 1/4 now and while I have lost some mass, I am very happy with what I have retained. I am about 180 pounds now.
                            I also am training 3-4 times/week along with moderate intensity cardio 5-6 times a week at 45 minutes per session. I have been keeping protein high, about 200-250 grams/day along with low fat and low carbs (any carbs I consumer are either fruits and veggies or whole grain, low-glycemic index carbohydrates)

Now, for me to reach 6-8% by June 1 and if I am at 10-11% right now, what is your advice for me to achieve my goal. Should I be reducing calories further while keeping protein high to say 1600-1800 calories/ day? Should I add double cardio sessions for the month of may? I feel that I have reached a plateau. A 2-3% bodyfat reduction over a 4 week period I believe is a realistic goal, however, like I said I feel like I have reached a plateau, what are your suggestions for me to maintain as much mass as possibly while getting rid of this last little bit of bodyfat?
                            180 lbs @ 10% BF = 162 LBM
                            180 lbs @ 11% BF = 160 LBM
                            AVG = 161 LBM

161 LBM @ 6% BF = 172 lbs

Essentially, you need to lose 8 lbs of fat in 4 weeks, which is possible if you follow a strict diet and hit your cardio sessions. However, there is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to cardio. Eventually, you're just going to be burning up lean mass. You can only lose so much fat at a time. 2 lbs per week is solid at your weight.

1,600 kcal from protein is 400g protein, which is way too high at your weight, especially during a cut. Keep it in the 200g range, take in your carbs at breakfast, pre / post workout / cardio. How many depends on your ability to handle carbs. Keep your protein and fats relatively constant, and manipulate carbs to lose the weight.

if you feel like you've hit a plateau, I would introduce HIIT cardio to your regimen, and read up on re-feed days.

Look into a fat burner, either Dialene or ALRi Venom Hyperdrive would be what I recommend, and I would also look into Sesamin and a multivitamin.

A lot more variables to consider, but just my $0.02 to get you started. I'm also not Layne...he may have a more gooder answer.

Best of luck, bro.
                            Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.

Comment

dvd is in the editing process working on the final draft of it... should be out hopefully by june
                              rob hope has a dvd out called arm yourself i believe

good stuff , can't wait until next month

Comment

• Hi Layne, simple question: Do you weigh yourself daily during both cutting and bulking phases?

Comment

Working...
                                X