Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geeky science question.

I was reading about testosterone synthesis yesterday, and the rate limiting step is the transport of cholesterol to the mitochodrial matrix.

I guessed that the rate limiting step for protein synthesis would be the transport of AA into the cell (even though I said GLUT transporters which is incorrect).

What IS the rate limiting step in protein synthesis if substrate, co-factors are available?

Is the rate limiting step ususally the availability of amino acids or a co-factor?

Comment

• amino acid availability is not the rate limiting step (unless there is a deficiency which is rare)

the rate limiting step is translation initiation (ribosomal attachment to the mRNA sequence) specifically, the assembly of the eIF4F complex which acts to unfold the mRNA sequence so that the ribosome can read it
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by west View Post
        As much as I like you man, I'd be giving you dirty looks too.
        some people are gonna dig it... some aren't.
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• So what normally happens to a nattie bber when they tear something?

Just out of curosity, I mean your tear didn't look terrible but will it ever be symetrical again?

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            amino acid availability is not the rate limiting step (unless there is a deficiency which is rare)

the rate limiting step is translation initiation (ribosomal attachment to the mRNA sequence) specifically, the assembly of the eIF4F complex which acts to unfold the mRNA sequence so that the ribosome can read it
            I'm sorry...all I heard was "blah, blah, blah...I'm a dirty tramp"

LOL

Sporto
            IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
            Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• Originally posted by Northman69 View Post
              So what normally happens to a nattie bber when they tear something?

Just out of curosity, I mean your tear didn't look terrible but will it ever be symetrical again?
              the pictures didn't make it look bad but it was bad. I completely tore the sternal head of the pec from the tendon. Over time and atrophying of the fibers when i flex it it would just appear that I have a lump near the center of my chest.

as the last 25 pages or so of my thread have elaborated... I had surgery and though the surgeon was said the odds were slim, I did in fact get back almost all of my symmetry. All the credit to him, my surgeon is the man. He does surgeries for the chicago bears, is a surgeon for the olympic team, and where most guys leave a horribly disfigured scar, you can hardly see mine
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Layne what ype of cardio and how much do you tend to do in the OFFseason, just to stop from getting a gut without losing any muscle? And how often do you train Abs peace.

Comment

• HIIT 2x/week. check out my webcast series. talks about it alot.

-Layne
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                    amino acid availability is not the rate limiting step (unless there is a deficiency which is rare)

Ta,

I knew you would know that.

Every now and then I have one of those MUST KNOW bees in my bonnet about a specific of molecular biology/biochem.

I am reading a lot about androgens right now, and interestingly enough, the rate limiting step is the transport of cholesterol to the inner mitochondrial matrix.

Oddly enough, LDL is the preferred cholesterol in steroid hormone synthesis in humans, but HDL in rats.

It's my reading while doing the cardio as of late.

Comment

• Hey Layne, I was watching your episode when you talked about your split, which I took as follows:

MondayL
                      "If you show up to Fight Club, you're gonna get your ass kicked."

Comment

• Hey Layne, I was watching your episode when you talked about your split, which I took as follows:

Monday: Full Upper Body (compound exercises- strength focused)
                        Tuesday

Comment

• Sorry, bad typing above--

Tuesday:Full

Comment

• Im quitting my computer keyboard has a mind of its own...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tatyana View Post
                              Ta,

I knew you would know that.

Every now and then I have one of those MUST KNOW bees in my bonnet about a specific of molecular biology/biochem.

I am reading a lot about androgens right now, and interestingly enough, the rate limiting step is the transport of cholesterol to the inner mitochondrial matrix.

Oddly enough, LDL is the preferred cholesterol in steroid hormone synthesis in humans, but HDL in rats.

It's my reading while doing the cardio as of late.
                              If you want some good reading on protein synthesis check out my review article with my advisor on protein synthesis and exercise

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/136/2/533S

-Layne
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Layne, what was the name of your surgeon? Mark Banter, my gym owner, tore his right bicep last week, adn the surgeon he was going ot see originally had only ever done two muscle reattachments, so thankfully he bowed out.
                                I min/max my physique

Comment

Working...
                                X