Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay Im trying this again and I sincerely apologize for the sporadic keyboard before.

Layne, after watching your training split discussion, I took it as follows:

Monday- Full upper body-- strength focus
    Tuesday- Full lower body-- strength focus
    Wednesday- Off
    Thursday- Chest/Back
    Friday- Legs
    Saturday- Shoulders
    Sunday- Off

Is that accurate? What days do you do your HIIT Cardio? Where do you work out smaller muscles such as biceps/triceps? Thanks for all the help. I only ask because I was considering using your training split. Thanks- I enjoyed the protein synthesis article you posted.
    "If you show up to Fight Club, you're gonna get your ass kicked."

Comment

• Layne

My brother just ripped his tendon off his bone (upper arm)
      the doctors had to bolt the tendon back to the bone

what supps can he take that would help his recovery?
      I said gultamine and vit-c

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Learning View Post
        Okay Im trying this again and I sincerely apologize for the sporadic keyboard before.

Layne, after watching your training split discussion, I took it as follows:

Monday- Full upper body-- strength focus
        Tuesday- Full lower body-- strength focus
        Wednesday- Off
        Thursday- Chest/Back
        Friday- Legs
        Saturday- Shoulders
        Sunday- Off

Is that accurate? What days do you do your HIIT Cardio? Where do you work out smaller muscles such as biceps/triceps? Thanks for all the help. I only ask because I was considering using your training split. Thanks- I enjoyed the protein synthesis article you posted.
        read: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2983921

Comment

• Originally posted by jerzey View Post
          Layne

My brother just ripped his tendon off his bone (upper arm)
          the doctors had to bolt the tendon back to the bone

what supps can he take that would help his recovery?
          I said gultamine and vit-c
          no, BCAA and HMB

spike, my doctor is Michael Corcoren of Oak Orthopedics in Kankakee, IL
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• So Layne your lbm is about 185?

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              no, BCAA and HMB

spike, my doctor is Michael Corcoren of Oak Orthopedics in Kankakee, IL

thanx

Comment

• Originally posted by Northman69 View Post
                So Layne your lbm is about 185?
                was 187 last time i was DXA'd
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• gotta love them DEXA scans
                  MorphogenNutrition.com
                  Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                    gotta love them DEXA scans
                    BUMP!!!

I helped a girl last year who just happens to live around the corner from the only private clinic in AUS with a DEXA and for her prep was absolutely magic. If you have access to one, use it
                    www.physique-essentials.com

Comment

• Hi Layne, hope all the wedding preperations are going well, im getting hitched myself next august

A question if you have the time about refeed days.

Now you state on these days to up your calories to maintenance and to in crease carb intake by 50-100% over diet levels. You also say to keep the fat as low as possible on these days. so would you as well as dropping the protein and upping the carbs also use calories that you would normally get from fat from carb sources.

Here's an example, getting the calories up to maintenance and upping the diet level carbs by 100%

normal day dieting (2435)
                      protein - 272g (1088kcal)carbs - 195g (780 kcal)fat - 63g (558 kcal)
                      Refeed day calories at maintenance(2936)protein - 209 ( 836kcal)carbs - 390 (1560 kcal)fat - 60g (540 kcal)

Or would it be better to get the fat down much more and go with something like this?

refeed day calories at maintenance(2935)protein - 209 ( 836kcal)carbs - 490 (1964 kcal)fat - 16g (135 kcal)

I Really appreciate the time, i understand your hectic schedule

(damn, sorry about the formatting, i copy and pasted of an excel sheet)
                      Contest Prep, Muscle building- http://www.trainwithsklayne.co.uk

Comment

• I think somewhere in between those 2 examples. maybe 400g CHO and 45g fat
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• update on my injury: saw the doc on monday. He felt the area and then asked me to resist him in several force exercises. I remember very vividly his response. He cocked his eyebrow and said "I'll be honest with you, I can't believe how fast you are healing." He said that at 8 weeks post op most people have a huge ball of scar tissue still in the area and he said that mine is very soft indicating that the scar tissue is being cleared out very effectively. He then prescribed a home electrical stimulation unit. I went to the trainer's room so their trainer could show me how to use it. The guy hooks it up to me and jacks it all the way up... so much force that it pulled my arm into my side. It felt like I had a spasm in my chest. I freaked out, I thought I had certainly torn it again with that much force. He said "oh no no no... EMS won't tear it" and send me on my way. On my way out I told the surgeon what happened and whether or not he wanted me putting that much stimulation on it and he said "NO NO NO NO! Just enough to make it flex" Good thing I asked him. In any case, the fact that such a tremendous force didn't tear the repair really makes me feel confident about how good it is. What can I say, my surgeon is a friggin' stud. He was just named a surgeon for the US Olympic team! I feel great 8 weeks post op and you can hardly see my scar.

On tuesday I did more smith machine squats. I could actually get my right hand into position for squats and did my warm up sets with both hands, but switched to one hand for my heavy sets... I didn't want to get heavy and then accidentally contract my chest.

working sets were

-325 X 5
                          -345 X 5
                          -365 X 5
                          -385 X 5
                          -405 X 5 (pictures)
                          -425 X 5

felt really good

-Layne "determination, perseverance, resolution... THE RESURRECTION!"
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            update on my injury: saw the doc on monday. He felt the area and then asked me to resist him in several force exercises. I remember very vividly his response. He cocked his eyebrow and said "I'll be honest with you, I can't believe how fast you are healing." He said that at 8 weeks post op most people have a huge ball of scar tissue still in the area and he said that mine is very soft indicating that the scar tissue is being cleared out very effectively. He then prescribed a home electrical stimulation unit. I went to the trainer's room so their trainer could show me how to use it. The guy hooks it up to me and jacks it all the way up... so much force that it pulled my arm into my side. It felt like I had a spasm in my chest. I freaked out, I thought I had certainly torn it again with that much force. He said "oh no no no... EMS won't tear it" and send me on my way. On my way out I told the surgeon what happened and whether or not he wanted me putting that much stimulation on it and he said "NO NO NO NO! Just enough to make it flex" Good thing I asked him. In any case, the fact that such a tremendous force didn't tear the repair really makes me feel confident about how good it is. What can I say, my surgeon is a friggin' stud. He was just named a surgeon for the US Olympic team! I feel great 8 weeks post op and you can hardly see my scar.

On tuesday I did more smith machine squats. I could actually get my right hand into position for squats and did my warm up sets with both hands, but switched to one hand for my heavy sets... I didn't want to get heavy and then accidentally contract my chest.

working sets were

-325 X 5
                            -345 X 5
                            -365 X 5
                            -385 X 5
                            -405 X 5 (pictures)
                            -425 X 5

felt really good

-Layne "determination, perseverance, resolution... THE RESURRECTION!"

BAD ASS!
                            TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
                            www.fitcorps.net

Comment

• Whenever you get the chance man, I know youre busy

Hey layne,

read something in a fitness mag amount soy being better than whey at reducing exercise induced muscle damage, and it referenced the following study

from pubmed:
                              AIM: Exercise can conceivably increase concentrations of lipid peroxides (by producing oxidant stress) or decrease their concentrations (by accelerating peroxide breakdown). The net effect could depend on exercise intensity and nutritional antioxidant intake. METHODS: Recreationally trained, young adult women (n=18) consumed antioxidant-rich soy protein or antioxidant-poor whey protein for 4 weeks (40 g protein/day). A moderate intensity, weight resistance exercise session was done before and after the 4 week period. Blood was drawn before each exercise session and postexercise at 0, 3 and 24 h. Serum from the pre-exercise draw was analyzed for antioxidant status (based on radical scavenging capacities); serum from pre- and postexercise draws were analyzed for concentrations of lipid peroxides as well as creatine kinase activities (which are affected by oxidant damage to muscles). RESULTS: Soy, but not whey intake, increased pre-exercise serum antioxidant status values and inhibited exercise-induced increases in creatine kinase activities. Before soy or whey intake, serum values for lipid peroxides rose at two of the three postexercise times. After whey intake, values for lipid peroxides showed no increase at the three postexercise times. After soy treatment, values for lipid peroxides actually showed a decrease at the three postexercise times. CONCLUSIONS: Moderate intensity exercise exerted variable effects on serum lipid peroxides with decreases occurring with 4 weeks of soy intake, which also produced other antioxidant effects."

anyway, I read that...and maybe I just don't have the knowledge, but the conclusion the magazine came to and the conclusion from the study didn't seem to match up, am I misinterpreting or the mag? Figured I'd go to the expert.

Thanks

PS somebody seriously needs to talk to that trainer.
                              Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                              http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Great to hear that your recovery is going so well... crazy weight with the circumstances!
                                NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

Working...
                                X