Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that's not that much info to go on, but true muscular overtraining is very very rare... very rare
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• I am glad to hear you say that. I am sick of all these new Gym members telling me that my twice a week leg workouts are too much. Thats the only way I could get them to grow.
      http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/sjschumaker/

Comment

• Layne, what's going on? Haven't been keeping up with your thread so I wanted to ask how the wedding/honey moon and everything was, etc...

Hopefully married life is treating you A-okay.

God Bless.
        TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
        www.fitcorps.net

Comment

• Layne are you going to be competing soon or you still taking the time off?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindgame View Post
            Layne are you going to be competing soon or you still taking the time off?
            well won't even think of competing until my pec is healed and that's a long way off
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• oops

sorry let me lay out my full training
              Mon Chest
              Incline Dumbells, 20,15,12,10,8
              Decline or Dips 5 sets of 20 reps or failure
              Incline Flies 20 15 12 10 8
              Front raises or mil press 20 15 12 10 8
              Tues Back
              Rows 20 15 12 10 8
              Pullups 20 15 12 10 8
              Close grip rows 20 15 12 10 8
              Pulldowns 20 15 12 10 8
              Rear delts 20 15 12 10 8
              Weds Quads
              Squat or front squat 20 15 12 10 8
              Leg Extension 20 15 12 10 8
              Side Laterals 20 15 12 10 8
              Thurs Arms
              Ovr head Tricep Extn 20 15 12 10 8
              Rope Pressdowns or V bar 20 15 12 10 8
              Reverse grip pushdown 20 15 12 10 8
              BI Barbell or dumbell curls 20 15 12 10 8
              Hammer cross body curls 20 15 12 10 8
              Fri Hams
              Seated leg curl 20 15 12 10 8
              Straight legged dead or back extension hamstring squeeze 5 sets to failure
              ABS on fri or when i can 1x per week
              New-Man Nutrition
              Live Free, Train Hard

Comment

• Originally posted by shoe View Post
                I am glad to hear you say that. I am sick of all these new Gym members telling me that my twice a week leg workouts are too much. Thats the only way I could get them to grow.
                I never really experienced substantial growth until hitting legs twice per week either. Moreover, I agree that "overtraining" is grossly exaggerated. In fact, I've experienced tremendous body composition changes ever since I increased my volume and frequency of training as to all muscle groups.

Comment

• Originally posted by thagman View Post
                  I never really experienced substantial growth until hitting legs twice per week either. Moreover, I agree that "overtraining" is grossly exaggerated. In fact, I've experienced tremendous body composition changes ever since I increased my volume and frequency of training as to all muscle groups.
                  I've said this before. The only people that I knew were for real overtrained were distance runners with eating disorders. Most the other were just an excuse for either poor diet or training methods. For anyone who has ever seen a person who is truely over trained, they look like hammered shit.
                  Assistant to the regional manager.
                  Iron8 approved

Comment

• 40+ BB'ers!

Layne,

I am 45 and a beginning BB'er. I've seen, and read a few different approaches on lifting, nutrition, and supplementation.
                    My question is regarding training.

I've been told by quite a few 40+ Bb'ers that each body part should only be worked once a week, giving it time to recovery between workouts due to the fact, that with age the recovery process slows. That makes sense.

There are also others that work each group 2 times a week.

I've tried both, and cannot really tell a difference.

In your opinion, as long as I am making progress, does it matter?

I think that there are many routines, and many of those have merit.

What are your thoughts?

Thx..

Comment

• Originally posted by fitiron View Post
                      Layne,

I am 45 and a beginning BB'er. I've seen, and read a few different approaches on lifting, nutrition, and supplementation.
                      My question is regarding training.

I've been told by quite a few 40+ Bb'ers that each body part should only be worked once a week, giving it time to recovery between workouts due to the fact, that with age the recovery process slows. That makes sense.

There are also others that work each group 2 times a week.

I've tried both, and cannot really tell a difference.

In your opinion, as long as I am making progress, does it matter?

I think that there are many routines, and many of those have merit.

What are your thoughts?

Thx..
                      Are you a novice at weight lifting in general?

Comment

• Originally posted by banderbe View Post
                        Are you a novice at weight lifting in general?

Not new to lifting, just to BB'ing.

I just really got into BB'ing about 8 months ago.

I've recently competed, and will be competing again in 3 weeks...

My progress has actually been going well. I am getting bigger, stronger, leaner, etc.

My primary question revolves around age, recovery, and frequency of workouts...

Comment

Not new to lifting, just to BB'ing.

I just really got into BB'ing about 8 months ago.

I've recently competed, and will be competing again in 3 weeks...

My progress has actually been going well. I am getting bigger, stronger, leaner, etc.

My primary question revolves around age, recovery, and frequency of workouts...
                          Okay.. because I was going to suggest picking up a copy of Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe and Kilgore. Fantastic book.

Comment

• Originally posted by banderbe View Post
                            Okay.. because I was going to suggest picking up a copy of Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe and Kilgore. Fantastic book.

I appreciate the imput bro, and I mean no offense, but this was a question for Layne....

thanks again!

Comment

I appreciate the imput bro, and I mean no offense, but this was a question for Layne....

thanks again!
                              No offense taken, I should start my own thread but nobody would read it.

Comment

• Layne,

Do you know when the new Scivation Whey is coming out? Also, do you know how much it will cost for the 5lb. tub? Thanks!
                                "Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world."

Comment

Working...
                                X