Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i havent been eating carbs for about 2 weeks now and im thinking about putting them back into my diet. i was thinking about eating them before working out(oatmeal) and during(such as gatorade). would this be a good idea? i work out two times a day. and want to get my strength back along with some muscular growth. i have no problem with being low carb no side effects or anything but i just think if i add some carbs back into my diet around workout time, that i would build some muscle.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Need-T...2163615?ref=ts

Comment

• Originally posted by yellanelly View Post
      i havent been eating carbs for about 2 weeks now and im thinking about putting them back into my diet. i was thinking about eating them before working out(oatmeal) and during(such as gatorade). would this be a good idea? i work out two times a day. and want to get my strength back along with some muscular growth. i have no problem with being low carb no side effects or anything but i just think if i add some carbs back into my diet around workout time, that i would build some muscle.
      Absolutely. Those times, along with your post-workout meal (whenever that may be), are ideal times to consume the majority of your carbs. However, it won't really matter too much in terms of body composition if you spread the carbs around evenly throughout the day.

Comment

• Hey bro - glad to see you're healing up nicely!

2 questions for you:

1- I've been reading Tipsta's posts and he says BCAA's pre AM cardio (i do low intensity cardio for 30-50 mins 1st thing in the morning after 10g's bcaa's) causes an insuline spike and will severely hamper fat burning and he recommends just doing the low intensity cardio with nothing (fat burners are ok) in your system. Thoughts?

2- Doggcrapp posted about how he likes to focus on anabolic/test boosting methods rather than anti-catabolic/more preventive methods. Do you know or do anything that promotes increased testosterone in the body? I'm looking for safe/legal/afforadable ways to do this. He wouldn't respond to the thread (which is totally fine) but I don't know near enough to experiment on my own and want to know what you think

THANK YOU!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BULK_CITY View Post
          Hey bro - glad to see you're healing up nicely!

2 questions for you:

1- I've been reading Tipsta's posts and he says BCAA's pre AM cardio (i do low intensity cardio for 30-50 mins 1st thing in the morning after 10g's bcaa's) causes an insuline spike and will severely hamper fat burning and he recommends just doing the low intensity cardio with nothing (fat burners are ok) in your system. Thoughts?

2- Doggcrapp posted about how he likes to focus on anabolic/test boosting methods rather than anti-catabolic/more preventive methods. Do you know or do anything that promotes increased testosterone in the body? I'm looking for safe/legal/afforadable ways to do this. He wouldn't respond to the thread (which is totally fine) but I don't know near enough to experiment on my own and want to know what you think

THANK YOU!!
          please read my precontest article...i have my thoughts on fasted cardio in there. In short... everyone freaks out all the time about getting their meals in and not going catabolic... but then people recommend doing cardio on an empty stomach? that's about as contradictory as it gets! Also, insulin release in response to BCAAs is different than in response to carbs. Carbs cause a biphasic release of insulin... first stored insulin is released and then after a slight delay, the body starts producing more insulin to dispose of the rest... the first phase of the release is actually pretty small. BCAAs only cause a monophasic release... only the stored insulin gets released... a very small amount.

and i'm sick and tired of insulin getting demonized. Some people make it seem like if you release a little bit of insulin you completely shut down fat burning everywhere... that is absolute nonsense. It is dose dependant. People put things in black and white and generalize way to much. This is how these myths get started.

2) I have not seen anything convincing on anything out there
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• pre-contest carb loading!

White rice versus Sweet potatos....

I've seen that some believe white rice is best over sweet potatos.

What is your preference?

Thx.....

Comment

• Originally posted by fitiron View Post
              White rice versus Sweet potatos....

I've seen that some believe white rice is best over sweet potatos.

What is your preference?

Thx.....
              Not layne, but here's a fun link for you.
              http://www.nutritiondata.com/topics/...c-index#values

So when you see those guys sucking down honey and you're eating real food, you can just sit back and smile
              Assistant to the regional manager.
              Iron8 approved

Comment

• hey layne what % of total calories do you feel should come from fat? i've been setting my calories like this , i'm a mesomorph(with a little ecto) so i take my weight of 238 (about 10% bf) and I times that by 15 which is around 3500 , then i take 1-1.2 g per pound of bw for protein, then 25%-30% of total cals from fat , then the rest i convert into carbs, thats for an off season , on a cut , i would drop the cals , keep protein to 1.2-1.5 grams per pound, fat 30% then left over to carbs ,does this seem like im on the right track here?, theres so many ratio conversens out there , i think palumbo's got his own now too!

also, I hear you do mini bulk cycles and mini cut cycles? can you give me a quick summary(know your a busy guy) on why this would be benifical?

thanks for your time layne ,

Comment

• if people actually understood what the glycemic index REALLY meant then they would put far less emphasis on it
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• just a brief on my injury. I've been in physical therapy for 2 weeks now. When we started it was just light stretching and no weights. I moved from 5 lb dumbbells for presses, to 10 lbs, and today I did 20 push ups from my knees with no pain. I know that sounds like nothing but it was huge for me. The physical therapist said "you are healing way faster than you should be... it's crazy" so that made me feel good. She said she thinks i'll be able to do a regular push up in a few weeks!

-Layne
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• hey layne your recovery to date is fantastic (both speed and also your 'look' of the injury). if you are bb.com are still doing your series maybe you could cover your post injury care. From what I remember you had a bad tear compared to some but thankfully its looking that in the long term you possibly won't suffer too much because of it. would be great insight
                      www.physique-essentials.com

Comment

• good idea josh , its dissapointing that series didn't/hasn't continue because it was fantastic.

and congratulations layne on youre increasingly speedy recovery

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                          just a brief on my injury. I've been in physical therapy for 2 weeks now. When we started it was just light stretching and no weights. I moved from 5 lb dumbbells for presses, to 10 lbs, and today I did 20 push ups from my knees with no pain. I know that sounds like nothing but it was huge for me. The physical therapist said "you are healing way faster than you should be... it's crazy" so that made me feel good. She said she thinks i'll be able to do a regular push up in a few weeks!

-Layne
                          You're back down to my strength.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            if people actually understood what the glycemic index REALLY meant then they would put far less emphasis on it
                            1- thank you for your quick reply!

2- Yea - there is a lot of misinformation/myths/etc out there... seems like new ones pop up every day and when people who have some credibility or are convincing, it makes people like me 2nd guess what I'm doing... which leads to overanalyzing which I HATE to do but I end up doing it anyway.

Have you ever thought of writing up a book or a pdf or something where you could basically lay all this scientific info out in consice laymen's terms and relate it to bodybuilding (beyond your articles on bb.com which i've read and are great). For instance, what you say in the quote above about glycemic index, I assume most people are like me in that they've read a few articles/posts/etc about it and thought they knew just enough to know what to do to optimize it... however I have never been 100% sure of my knowledge (I don't read/understand the scientific articles out there.. I wait for intelligent people like you who I trust to interperet them for me and hope that they are right).

I read nearly all your posts and have learned a lot from them... but I wonder about all the stuff I don't know about so I never even ask about it lol

thx again!

Comment

• oh a book is definitely something i'll do in the future. just not now

the series is suspended indefinitely apparently they were having trouble getting sponsors for it. If you want it back, I'd suggest emailing bodybuilding.com and letting them know about it.
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• when wil the dvd be out!
                                "Leg Day Is Business"
                                Layne Norton

Comment

Working...
                                X