Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have link to the faq?
    "Leg Day Is Business"
    Layne Norton

Comment

• hey layne ,

Do you have a set diet paln through out the day? , or do you just try to hit your totals for the day with proper food sources and placing carbs and fats at the appropriate times?

Comment

• Layne, this is a question regarding the recommendations for Pre & Intra workout BCAA/CHO ingestion as recommended in the Scivation e-book "Bulking for Ectomorphs".

Using the parameters suggested (for a 190 lb individual ecto/meso), I got these...

Pre-Workout- ~20g BCAA, ~50g CHO
        Intra-Workout- ~20g BCAA, ~50g CHO
        (I may add that I use Waxy Maize and bulk aminos)

This seems like a little overkill to me? 40g of BCAA already and we're not even talking post-workout yet!!

Is it overkill...or quite necessary in maximizing growth? This was written by Derek I believe, would you recommend something different and why?

Comment

• 1 more thing layne pretaining to the question above i wrote,

reason i ask that question is because i meet with this bodybuilding nutritionist who is pretty know (rather keep his name off the boards) and he works with alot of enhanced athlete bodybuilders (im a life time natural) and i think the diet he gave me is a little overboard, seems really hard to maintain , would like to hear what you think of the diet for a 235lb natural at around 10%bf, i never really had a set diet , only set totals

7am - 8 whites 2 yolks
          1 cup oatmeal
          2 tbsp of oil

9am - 2 scoops whey
          1 cup of oatmeal
          1 cup fruit
          1 oz nuts

train-

11am- post - 2 scoops whey
          1 cup oatmeal
          8oz grape juice

12am - 8oz redmeat
          6 oz white potateo
          1 cups veggies
          2 tbsp oil
          2 tbsp vinager

2pm - 8 oz chicken
          1 cup oat meal or sweet potateo
          2 oz nuts

4pm - 8 oz chicken
          1 cup oatmeal
          1 cup veggie
          2 tbsp oil
          2 tbsp vinigar

6pm - 2 scoops whey
          1 cup oatmeal
          2 oz nuts

8pm - 8 oz chicken or turkey
          1 cup oatmeal
          2 oz nuts

10pm - 8oz turkey or fish
          1 1/2 cups veggies
          2 tbsp oil
          2 tbsp vinigar

it seems like a shit load of food , did you have a nutritionist help you with your diet , or did your gradually find out what worked for you?

Comment

• I know this is a bit late, but looking at the pics you posted, working out your legs so much while your chest healed made a big improvement in them. Great Job!

Comment

• Layne, couple quick questions for you. Im 5'9 179 10% bodyfat looking to get to 6-8%. My LBM is 162 so my target weight is 170 to be at 6-8% so I have to lose 6 to 8 pounds. Im willing to put in the hours on the cardio equipment to create a deficit to ensure I lose as little muscle mass as possible as I cut down here. My question to you is how many calories a day should I be taking in (i can figure out my macronutrient ratios)? Ive been training consistently (5x/week heavy lifting +45 min cardio sessions year round) so my homeostatic set point has been established to a degree and Im guessing at this point my body will be quite unwilling to make a change, it will be quite hard to coax this last little bit of fat off. From what ive plugged into the bb.com calculator I need to be taking in 2500 calories a day, however from what Ive read on your precontest diets you have been taking in about that however you were about 200lbs (20 pounds heavier) so im quite confused...

Comment

• CARBS!

Layne,

If I understand it right, higer carb days should be in conjunction with training days that the most body parts are worked, or on a day when a person is trying to bring out weaker body parts...is this correct??

That said, I workout at 4am. Should I still take in the higher carbs on that day, OR the day before..??

Thank you!

Comment

• Hi Layne

Mike from South Africa here. I train at 5am and was wandering whether you would recommend having high or low glycemic carbs for breakfast prior to working out?

My other question is regarding whey isolate vs concentrate...is there a significant difference in quality and results between the 2, that substantiates spending more on the whey isolate?

I have also noticed that some protein powders have digestive enzymes in them. is this neccessary, does it help much?

Thanks for your time. I have great admiration for you. The fact that you use your limited free time to help everyone.

Mike

Comment

• listening to layne on no bull radio (was done july 07)

good stuff! if you haven't heard before you should look it up and listen!

and everyone needs to request layne back on the show!
                    "Leg Day Is Business"
                    Layne Norton

Comment

• yeah time for anothe debate with dave!!!
                      with more on Layne's latest research on protein and meal timing.

sam

Originally posted by gainmusclefast View Post
                      listening to layne on no bull radio (was done july 07)

good stuff! if you haven't heard before you should look it up and listen!

and everyone needs to request layne back on the show!

Comment

• Originally posted by mikey8888 View Post
                        Hi Layne

Mike from South Africa here. I train at 5am and was wandering whether you would recommend having high or low glycemic carbs for breakfast prior to working out?

My other question is regarding whey isolate vs concentrate...is there a significant difference in quality and results between the 2, that substantiates spending more on the whey isolate?

I have also noticed that some protein powders have digestive enzymes in them. is this neccessary, does it help much?

Thanks for your time. I have great admiration for you. The fact that you use your limited free time to help everyone.

Mike
                        I think a combination of fast & slow would be best. maybe 50/50. the difference between concentrates and isolates is isolate is a higher % of protein and has less lactose and fat and is usually easier on the digestive system for people with GI issues. If you don't have GI issues though, concentrate should be just about as effective
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by irvston View Post
                          yeah time for anothe debate with dave!!!
                          with more on Layne's latest research on protein and meal timing.

sam
                          good luck getting me on the radio show or in the mag lol
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by fast-twitch View Post
                            1 more thing layne pretaining to the question above i wrote,

reason i ask that question is because i meet with this bodybuilding nutritionist who is pretty know (rather keep his name off the boards) and he works with alot of enhanced athlete bodybuilders (im a life time natural) and i think the diet he gave me is a little overboard, seems really hard to maintain , would like to hear what you think of the diet for a 235lb natural at around 10%bf, i never really had a set diet , only set totals

7am - 8 whites 2 yolks
                            1 cup oatmeal
                            2 tbsp of oil

9am - 2 scoops whey
                            1 cup of oatmeal
                            1 cup fruit
                            1 oz nuts

train-

11am- post - 2 scoops whey
                            1 cup oatmeal
                            8oz grape juice

12am - 8oz redmeat
                            6 oz white potateo
                            1 cups veggies
                            2 tbsp oil
                            2 tbsp vinager

2pm - 8 oz chicken
                            1 cup oat meal or sweet potateo
                            2 oz nuts

4pm - 8 oz chicken
                            1 cup oatmeal
                            1 cup veggie
                            2 tbsp oil
                            2 tbsp vinigar

6pm - 2 scoops whey
                            1 cup oatmeal
                            2 oz nuts

8pm - 8 oz chicken or turkey
                            1 cup oatmeal
                            2 oz nuts

10pm - 8oz turkey or fish
                            1 1/2 cups veggies
                            2 tbsp oil
                            2 tbsp vinigar

it seems like a shit load of food , did you have a nutritionist help you with your diet , or did your gradually find out what worked for you?
                            meal frequency is entirely too high, other than that, I really don't know a whole lot about you or your body so i can't comment on the macro breakdown for your bodytype.

people think I have a certain type of diet i give to my clients... I don't. I have a 150 clients who are on 150 different diets. some may be very similar, but none are the exact same and quite often they are very different depending upon various factors. I think people choosing one type of diet and using it for every client is just disastrous.
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by deulense View Post
                              Layne, couple quick questions for you. Im 5'9 179 10% bodyfat looking to get to 6-8%. My LBM is 162 so my target weight is 170 to be at 6-8% so I have to lose 6 to 8 pounds. Im willing to put in the hours on the cardio equipment to create a deficit to ensure I lose as little muscle mass as possible as I cut down here. My question to you is how many calories a day should I be taking in (i can figure out my macronutrient ratios)? Ive been training consistently (5x/week heavy lifting +45 min cardio sessions year round) so my homeostatic set point has been established to a degree and Im guessing at this point my body will be quite unwilling to make a change, it will be quite hard to coax this last little bit of fat off. From what ive plugged into the bb.com calculator I need to be taking in 2500 calories a day, however from what Ive read on your precontest diets you have been taking in about that however you were about 200lbs (20 pounds heavier) so im quite confused...
                              again, it depends on a ton of factors. please read my precontest article
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by fitiron View Post
                                Layne,

If I understand it right, higer carb days should be in conjunction with training days that the most body parts are worked, or on a day when a person is trying to bring out weaker body parts...is this correct??

That said, I workout at 4am. Should I still take in the higher carbs on that day, OR the day before..??

Thank you!
                                correct, i'd have a decently high carb meal the night before though
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X