Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Layne. I am reading quite a few positive reviews about Xtend. But I don't understand why someone needs it if they eat proper nutrion pre en post workout. When you eat a balanced meal 1 to 2 hours before your workout and about an half our before a whey shake with oats you have plenty of BCAA in your nutrition that helpes to combat protein breakdown. So what's the advantages of Xtend during your workout or some Xtend midnight in comparison to a blended protein shake.

Comment

• Originally posted by joshdickinson View Post
      haha, i have been preaching that for years (during the night feeds) yet all the local aussies I was working with thought I was a raving lunatic!
      lol why not? You wouldn't go 8 hours during the day without eating would ya?
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Smoothmold View Post
        Question for Layne. I am reading quite a few positive reviews about BCAAs. But I don't understand why someone needs it if they eat proper nutrion pre en post workout. When you eat a balanced meal 1 to 2 hours before your workout and about an half our before a whey shake with oats you have plenty of BCAA in your nutrition that helps to combat protein breakdown. So what's the advantages of BCAA during your workout or some BCAA midnight in comparison to a blended protein shake.
        here is an excerpt from an article I wrote

-------------------------------
        Despite the numerous positive benefits to BCAA supplementation, there are many skeptics who suggest that BCAAs are overpriced and that one can just increase their consumption of whey protein which is rich in BCAAs. Unfortunately this is not the case. The BCAAs in whey are peptide bound to other amino acids and must be liberated through digestion & absorbed into the bloodstream to exert their effects. Even though whey protein is relatively fast digesting, it still takes several hours for all the amino acids to be liberated & absorbed into the bloodstream. BCAAs in supplement form however, are free form BCAAs and require no digestion and are therefore rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids. Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels of BCAAs to a much greater extent than a 30g dose of whey protein, impacting protein synthesis and protein degradation to a much greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver, therefore an oral supplement is more like a BCAA injection since it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly.
        Last edited by str8flexed; August 6, 2007, 05:25 PM.
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
          Its basically like palumbos diet which high protein and moderate fats. But u carb up for 2 straight days after 5 days of zero carbs.

heres the link
          www.metabolicdiet.com
          I tried a diet almost exactly like that which I tweaked myself from palumbos diet and it didnt work for shit so I went all out palumbo and that worked much better for me. Im fine without carbs especially dairy. That shit fucks me up.
          As as funny side note, I became lactose intolerant several years ago but didnt know it because i was eating food at my college cafeteria and figured that was what gave me the shits. Fast foward 2 years later and i was tweaking my diet and realized without milk i was making better gains, wasnt bloated, and didnt have explosive diarrhea twice a day.
          5% off at Trueprotein.com: RNM120

Comment

• Layne, or anyone else. I have heard some people talk bad about taking creatine all the way up to a contest. They say because it will cause you to hold water. I'll hold as much water as I can if it is not 'under the skin'.
            Thoughts??

Comment

• this is my rebut to that argument.

I took creatine all the way up to this show and even took it the day of the show.

water retention?
              Attached Files
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Layne 1
                Water retention zero
                Game, set, match
                Assistant to the regional manager.
                Iron8 approved

Comment

• Was that just Creatine Monohydrate Layne... or does the type matter?
                  DC advocate

CSCS
                  B.S. in Exercise Science

Comment

• Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
                    Was that just Creatine Monohydrate Layne... or does the type matter?
                    I doubt youd ever catch Layne dead with a non-monohydrate creatine

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                      i have a whole food meal, usually a meat w/ rice or something or perhaps oats; then when i wake up to pee (I wake up every night pretty much same time) I down some xtend (BCAAs) & a protein bar then go back to sleep

thank you for the input , last thing , if you weren't sponsered by your supplement company what supplements would you actully dish money out and pay for living your bodybuilding lifestyle ,

Comment

• Ordered Dialene for my store today, and since I'm dieting down I'm thinking I'll pick up a bottle. And suggestions outside of the directions on the label Layne?
                        I min/max my physique

Comment

this is my rebut to that argument.

I took creatine all the way up to this show and even took it the day of the show.

water retention?
                          Nice rebuttal Layne!

Comment

• oke thx Layne! So the biggest advantage of free form BCAA is spiking the blood amino acids to a much greater degree than vast food, impacting protein synthesis and protein degradation to a much greater degree. Right?

I have read in an article that cortisol levels increase during your workout. But that these short increases of cortisol levels aren't a bad thing because protein breakdown goes hand in hand with protein synthesis if you have proper postworkout nutrition. But doesn't free form BCAA inhibit cortisol levels to increase? So that the body can't repair the muscles as much because of the fact that it doesn't have to.
                            I think I am talking .... here but I would like your opinion about it.

Comment

• Thanks. That's kind of what I thought also.

Comment

this is my rebut to that argument.

water retention?
                                lmao .... burned.

sic work coach.
                                Are you gonna live your life, or are you biding time till you die?

Comment

Working...
                                X