Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lvetolift View Post
    was wondering the same thing!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne45.htm
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillyXJ View Post
      Looking awesome man! Why is it that some guys have abs at 11% even freakin' 15% and some guys don't? I'm one of the guys who don't, so I always feel fat even when I was 7-8%...all my fat is on my stomach and my legs, back, and glutes stay lean all year round
      it's just differences in bodyfat distrabution, probably due to thousands of variables
      BioLayne LLC
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by fast-twitch View Post
        how's everything layne ,

Just finished the DVD and it was very informative, was better then the other bodybuilding dvd's where you just watch the guy train and tells you nothing y he's training that way, good DVD

was hoping if you could help clear some things up for me

First thing is Vit C , i hear people taking up to 6 grams a day! and others say whats in your multi-vitamin is plenty, whats the real deal? at the moment im taking 1 animal pak a day which has 500mgs of vit c , then i add an extra 500mg 2x later in the day for a total of 1.5 grams of vit c a day? this seem overboard? I'm also taking 200mg of Alpha Lipoic Acis 2x a day for a total of 400mg a day. which others have said to skip the extra vit c all together. just confused and don't wanna take more then im suppose to.

2nd question , is on calcium , how much should one supplement a day with , im around 1500mg's a day ,im getting mix results with this as well.

Last one ,

my supplement stack ,
        1 animal pak a day
        500mgs 2x a day vit c
        200mg's 2x a day ALA
        glucosamine/msm - 2g's each
        calcium - 1500mgs a day
        fish oil - 6 grams a day
        whey protein
        creatine mono 5 grams a day

what else would you recomend? was thinking BCAA's to the mix, whats your thought.

your insight means alot
        200mg vitamin C will saturate neutrophills and at 500mg you start to get some vitamin C showing up in the urine. at 1-2g levels you can start to have it act as a pro-oxidant rather than an anti-oxidant. I would stick with 500mg/day max.

i would add bcaas, beta-alanine, and citrulline malate if you have the money (xtend has bcaas and CM... yes shameless plug)
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlito99 View Post
          Layne,

How often do you think one should train to failure (not actually attempting the last rep you would literally fail to execute - stopping after the rep before that) when doing one of your wave loading power/hypertrophy splits? Does your answer change for someone who is cutting vs. someone who is bulking?

I think I recall you saying start out at around half the sets to failure, and then go from there as your body adapts?
          it really depends on many factors. for newer trainees they definitely do not need to go to failure as much, as well as people training for strength increases probably don't want to constantly be going to failure. For pure hypertrophy failure is probably ok but what you don't want to do is go so damned hard that after 3 sets you gas and are worthless the rest of the workout... that's where leaving one in the hole so to speak can help you if it allows you to extend your workout by adding extra effective sets whereas if you had constantly trained to failure you'd be totally spent.

it's not black and white, there is a TON of gray area
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by PTmuscle View Post
            Very Impressive, bro! Yeah, I hear ya on the spending time thing... my fiancee thinks I do too much as it is... good thing I'm not a natural pro with other natties consulting me online every day.... or is it a good thing?
            Anyway, I did have one question whenever you have time. I just upped my carbs again to 250 and slowly working into that 4-8 week bulk (eventually my carbs should be 300-350). I was slowly leaning out at 150-200g/day and when I upped them this week... I did look fuller, no surprise there, but I also tightened up a little! I couldn't believe it! I thought I was going to smooth out more and my waist would start to grow again, but I think I'm still in a fat-loss phase by accident! (why didn't I do this 3 years ago???!!!??) Anyway, have you ever noticed this in yourself or any of your clients? It's strange but I'm not going to complain, I love my carbs!
            yes I actually notice that quite often if the transition from cut to bulk is made properly
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by KMH23 View Post
              i have a question regarding bcaa and figured this was the place to post it. Would bcaas be absorbed better or drive protein synthesis more effeciently if taking inbetween meals and during workout. I've been taking them with wpi and breakfast, pre and post with wazy and wpi. I'm new to this internet commmunty but this seems like the best place to field question because of the high level of expertise of members here. any insight would be much appreciated.
              they are absorbed fine no matter when you take them, my research suggests they are more effeciently used for increasing synthesis when taken between meals
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by bighit17wolves View Post
                layne better to take 5g bcaa with 2.5 of it leucine or better to take 3g straight leucine? pre workout
                either will work
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• Originally posted by philborg View Post
                  hey Layne, if I'm not mistaken you said you have been eating every 4 hours in the offseason and getting good results, right?

I usually eat every 3 hours but due to school and work I might have to go 3.5 hours between some meals, do you think that's fine or should I bring a shake to drink between meals?

Thanks
                  IMO eating every 4-5 hours will be better than what you are doing right now, that's what my research suggests anyway
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr House View Post
                    You cannot do this routine naturally imho. Too much work.
                    that is painting with a really broad brush. and generally that is not accurate
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• I want everyone to step out a second and be thankful for things today. Tonight I was working out legs and was having a chat with a guy who usually squats the same nights I do. He's real strong and a real nice guy. I was helping him out with his front squat form. Later that night a guy comes running out of the bathroom "there's someone collapsed in the bathroom" Josh (works the desk) and I ran back to see what was up and it's the guy I was squatting next too, collapsed, not moving, not breathing, eyes wide open. We couldn't get a pulse so Josh started CPR, we got someone at the front desk to call 911 and Isabel always thinking on her toes grabbed the defibrillator from the front desk. Apparantly he had a faint heart beat because the defibrillator would not let us discharge as it sensed a heart beat. Josh must have done CPR on him for 8 minutes straight til the paramedics showed up. They intubated him and gave him a shot of epinephrine and kept doing CPR (they had a faint pulse as well so they didn't use their defibrillator either). They wheeled him out but he was still non-responsive. Turns out the guys name is Antonio and is 34 years old, married, and a father so if you are the praying time please say a few for him, if not just be thankful for your health. I truly hope the guy is ok. A really nice guy.

Needless to say it put a damper on the rest of the workout but I decided to hammer it out anyway just in my own way to be thankful for being able to do what I love doing.
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Thats too bad. Good thing someone found him and their were people who could react under stress. Having an AED in a gym is a smart plan. Let us know if you hear anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                          I want everyone to step out a second and be thankful for things today. Tonight I was working out legs and was having a chat with a guy who usually squats the same nights I do. He's real strong and a real nice guy. I was helping him out with his front squat form. Later that night a guy comes running out of the bathroom "there's someone collapsed in the bathroom" Josh (works the desk) and I ran back to see what was up and it's the guy I was squatting next too, collapsed, not moving, not breathing, eyes wide open. We couldn't get a pulse so Josh started CPR, we got someone at the front desk to call 911 and Isabel always thinking on her toes grabbed the defibrillator from the front desk. Apparantly he had a faint heart beat because the defibrillator would not let us discharge as it sensed a heart beat. Josh must have done CPR on him for 8 minutes straight til the paramedics showed up. They intubated him and gave him a shot of epinephrine and kept doing CPR (they had a faint pulse as well so they didn't use their defibrillator either). They wheeled him out but he was still non-responsive. Turns out the guys name is Antonio and is 34 years old, married, and a father so if you are the praying time please say a few for him, if not just be thankful for your health. I truly hope the guy is ok. A really nice guy.

Needless to say it put a damper on the rest of the workout but I decided to hammer it out anyway just in my own way to be thankful for being able to do what I love doing.
                          Bummer, man. I wonder what would cause that.

I appreciate being whole and able so much.

Comment

200mg vitamin C will saturate neutrophills and at 500mg you start to get some vitamin C showing up in the urine. at 1-2g levels you can start to have it act as a pro-oxidant rather than an anti-oxidant. I would stick with 500mg/day max.

i would add bcaas, beta-alanine, and citrulline malate if you have the money (xtend has bcaas and CM... yes shameless plug)
                            that makes sense , kinda like having a drink a day for heart health , and getting wasted linked to poor health , more is not better in that sense.

would it be a waste for me to keep taking the 400mg's of ala i take a day? or would that be overkill? would it have a different affect since its not the same antioxidant? always heard good things about ala.

Also as far as taking xtend, what kind of doses and timing is recomended to get the best results?

Whats the best way to take xtend when on a budget and trying to make the xtend last?

Comment

I want everyone to step out a second and be thankful for things today. Tonight I was working out legs and was having a chat with a guy who usually squats the same nights I do. He's real strong and a real nice guy. I was helping him out with his front squat form. Later that night a guy comes running out of the bathroom "there's someone collapsed in the bathroom" Josh (works the desk) and I ran back to see what was up and it's the guy I was squatting next too, collapsed, not moving, not breathing, eyes wide open. We couldn't get a pulse so Josh started CPR, we got someone at the front desk to call 911 and Isabel always thinking on her toes grabbed the defibrillator from the front desk. Apparantly he had a faint heart beat because the defibrillator would not let us discharge as it sensed a heart beat. Josh must have done CPR on him for 8 minutes straight til the paramedics showed up. They intubated him and gave him a shot of epinephrine and kept doing CPR (they had a faint pulse as well so they didn't use their defibrillator either). They wheeled him out but he was still non-responsive. Turns out the guys name is Antonio and is 34 years old, married, and a father so if you are the praying time please say a few for him, if not just be thankful for your health. I truly hope the guy is ok. A really nice guy.

truely shows you that not everyday is promised to you , ill keep him in my prayers

Comment

they are absorbed fine no matter when you take them, my research suggests they are more effeciently used for increasing synthesis when taken between meals
                                thanks for the reply. i realize that i sometimes overthink things which can be a problem since the i have no schooling and dont know anbody involved in the sports/nutrition personally the only info i get is from the internet. sometimes the info i find is so conflicting so while im at it i'd like to ask you a few questions regardin bete alaline.

1. should it be loaded over the first few weeks?
                                2. any need or benefit to take it on off days?
                                3. what is an effective dose?

Comment

Working...
                                X