Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • well HIIT can help if you do it for a few months to build the cummulative effects of it on muscle mitochondrial oxidative metabolism. Overall though just get as lean as humanly possible and they will come. Just use them as the measuring stick... don't even look at your upper body
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

    Comment


    • Originally posted by EXZACKLY View Post
      I was just looking for some pointers, I didn't mean to piss you off. I have read some of Layne's info, but of coarse not everything. Just looking for a little advice, if he wants to share he will, if he doesn't thats fine too.
      what is her daily pro/carb/fat intake.

      foods themselves really mean little... it's your intake of those nutrients that make the difference.

      I would also trade out some of those low intensity sessions for some high intensity interval sessions
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

      Comment


      • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        It has probably been 2 months since my legs have been sore from a workout, hammering away at them 3x/week has adapted them to the fact to where they are damn near impenetrable in terms of initiating soreness and damage. So this past weekend I said DAMN THIS. Legs, I am going to hurt you. I warmed up on smith machine squats then did my first set of 365 for 15. That was pretty damn brutal. Then I thought about how much harder I could push and I told myself the next set I was not going to quit until I collapsed and didn't give a damn when that was. I got to 12 and started running out of breathe. I got 2 more reps and flashes in my mind went through about Tony squatting and that I better finish this shit because he'd never get the chance to do so (he loved to squat) and I pounded out 3 more. At that point my lungs were on fire and every fiber of my being wanted to quite but I said, you are this close and damnit you are not quitting until you fall down! 1 more rep, legs were shaking. 1 more reps and I couldn't hardly see from the sweat in my eyes. I took a deep breathe and went down, felt like the damn thing would never come up but it finally did, I just racked it in time to fall down and lay on the ground and then I thought about something. "Layne you do not have the genetics or the structure" "Layne you suck" "Layne you'll never be anything" and thought about all that negative crap and said to myself "no, I will prove you all wrong, I won't let myself get beaten in here, I am going to make myself tolerate more pain than anyone else. I pulled myself up using the side of the smith machine and ran as fast as I could over to the leg extension and did 3 more consecutive drop sets on the leg extension until I just couldn't move my legs anymore.

        Then I proceeded to finish my normal workout with anouther 12 sets of quads, and did hammies and calves.

        Sure enough I got em sore.

        Then yesterday I found my tape measurer and thought, "wonder what my legs measure" I hadn't done it in a few months. I measured... I was in disbelief. I did it again... and again, I did not believe it. i was measuring 28-28.5" consistently on the biggest part of my leg! I was so happy I couldn't believe it. Since I tore my pec 6 months ago I had added a full inch to my thighs! At my first show my legs were 22" That means I've added an average of 1" to my legs every year since my first show.

        So yea I might not have the best structure or symmetry but I'll be damned if you are going to outwork me. My goal is to make it so I can push myself to tolerate so much pain when I'm in the gym that it would make everyone else want to quit. That's how I'm going to keep progressing when others stagnate. Nothing fancy, just pure work ethic.

        Like a freight train... I'm coming.
        That is the BEST dang thing I have read!

        I admire your work ethic and have stolen your quote (you will not outwork me) many times in and out of the gym----

        Comment


        • thanks, i'm glad you've found the quote helpful

          all the competitors I work with wear a shirt with that quote on the back. It's a state of mind baby!
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

          Comment


          • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            well HIIT can help if you do it for a few months to build the cummulative effects of it on muscle mitochondrial oxidative metabolism. Overall though just get as lean as humanly possible and they will come. Just use them as the measuring stick... don't even look at your upper body
            Thanks for the great advice! Incidentally here is a picture of myself hanging with Layne at my gym...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              what is her daily pro/carb/fat intake.

              foods themselves really mean little... it's your intake of those nutrients that make the difference.

              I would also trade out some of those low intensity sessions for some high intensity interval sessions
              Thank you, I am getting rid of her long sessions and replacing them with HIIT, and adding carbs and taking away a little protein.
              anabolicsociety.com

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Graphlex View Post
                Thanks for the great advice! Incidentally here is a picture of myself hanging with Layne at my gym...

                that is sweet as hell! they hung my ugly mug up at your gym!?


                the women and children shall be afraid
                BioLayne LLC
                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

                Comment


                • Originally posted by EXZACKLY View Post
                  Thank you, I am getting rid of her long sessions and replacing them with HIIT, and adding carbs and taking away a little protein.
                  let me know how that goes... you may need to end up dropping carbs again at some point but this should help her metabolism
                  BioLayne LLC
                  PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

                  Comment


                  • Just curious layne,

                    whats a normal days food intake look like for you?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                      that is sweet as hell! they hung my ugly mug up at your gym!?


                      the women and children shall be afraid
                      There's a row of 8x10's along most of the gym's walls. I'm honored to be up there next to you. You can see a WNBF on the pic on the otherside of yours (Dwayne Broadway's pic) so I was also happy about being in a 5 or 6 pic run of nattie champions.

                      Good to have the pic there so if I talk to someone about one of your extreme set video clips or when I recommend Scivation products I have the pic to point to.

                      Comment


                      • Layne, Do you ever suggest more then one cardio session in a day?
                        anabolicsociety.com

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
                          Just curious layne,

                          whats a normal days food intake look like for you?
                          In addition to this...

                          Do you plan your diet in advance to meet your macros? Or do you just eat whatever as the day goes on (with certain nutrient timing strategies), and at the end of the day just fill in whatever macros you have left?

                          Also, do you use an online diet tracker or just write stuff down?

                          Comment


                          • Layne,

                            I tried to post this on Doctor Joe's board but I'm having trouble registering.

                            If water intake is cut, how does one spill over? I know that it's possible. I've done it. I'm just wondering where the water comes from that becomes the interstitial fluid. Does it come from the muscles?

                            Would you say that there are "degrees" of spilling over? In other words, can some one SLIGHTLY spill over or is it that when you spill over, you spill over.

                            Thanks.
                            www.ironbrendan.com

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
                              Just curious layne,

                              whats a normal days food intake look like for you?
                              kinda curious as well , offseason eating

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by IronBrendan View Post
                                Layne,

                                I tried to post this on Doctor Joe's board but I'm having trouble registering.

                                If water intake is cut, how does one spill over? I know that it's possible. I've done it. I'm just wondering where the water comes from that becomes the interstitial fluid. Does it come from the muscles?

                                Would you say that there are "degrees" of spilling over? In other words, can some one SLIGHTLY spill over or is it that when you spill over, you spill over.

                                Thanks.
                                were you cutting sodium and loading carbs?
                                BioLayne LLC
                                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X