Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Z- View Post
    Layne, Do you ever suggest more then one cardio session in a day?
    Believe me HE DOES! But I'll let Layne handle your question of course.

Comment

• """""""""""""""Layne, I was wondering if you could look at this precontest diet and let me know any problems you see. This is a 3 day diet with cardio #1 done in the morning on an empty stomach, and #2 cardio done in the evenings. Weight training is done 5 days a week. This diet is for a 150lbs. womans bodybuilder. Her lean mass is 135lbs. The fat just does not seem to want to respond anymore. She has made great progress for the first 10 weeks, yet we only have 6 weeks left. I would love to see her lose about 3-5 more lbs. of bodyfat.

Supplements:

-Whole food vitamin
      -Calcium
      -Fiber
      -Fish oil
      -Evening primrose

Diet #1
      1. 6 Egg whites, 1 yoke
      2. 6oz. Tilapia, cup greens
      3. 6oz. Chicken, cup greens
      4. 8oz. Tilapia
      5. 6oz. Chicken, cup walnuts
      Cardio
      1. 60 min stairmaster
      2. 70 min Elliptical

Diet #2
      1. 8 Egg whites
      2. 6 oz. Tilapia, 1 serving oats
      3. 6oz. Tilapia, 1 cup greens
      4. 6oz. Chicken, 5oz. sweet potato
      5. 1 scoops protein powder, cup greens
      Cardio

1. 60 min. Fast walk on Treadmill, High incline
      2. 60 min. 2 min walk, 2 min jog on Treadmill

Diet #3
      1. 2 scoops protein powder
      2. 6oz. Tilapia, cup greens
      3. 1 scoops protein powder
      4. 6oz Tilapia, cup greens
      5. 6 egg whites
      Cardio
      1. 60 min Elliptical
      2. 70 min. Stairmaster

*She has had ZERO muscle loss at this point. Any advice would be great. Thank you.*""""""""

By all means you dont have to beleive me but here is my two cents.

Either cut out day two and turn this into a all low carb diet for a few weeks or add some HIIT training. But i wouldnt do both. either way you may have to lower the carbs more.

Comment

• um... deja vu?
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          um... deja vu?
          amazingly its his first post...LOL

Comment

• Have I seen that routine before?
            anabolicsociety.com

Comment

were you cutting sodium and loading carbs?
              Yes.
              www.ironbrendan.com

Comment

• well the carbohydrate transporter into the small intestine is sodium dependant and it has been shown that low sodium intake will reduce it's activity. that means you are loading a bunch of carbs but they aren't being taken into circulation as effectively. the excess carbs in the lumen of the gut will draw in water to dilute the solutes and make you hold water in the gut. Furthermore since you are cutting sodium and water your levels of aldosterone are drastically elevated to try and conserve sodium in the kidneys and so your kidneys reabsorb sodium into circulation to maintain blood sodium levels but since sodium must be reabsorbed with a molecular of water now you are also reabsorbing H20 as well. Only now since your are on a low sodium diet your blood pressure will be reduced and you won't have the nessecary pressure in the vascular system to maintain the water that you reabsorbed there and it will leak into the interstitial (subcutaneous) space. So now you have effectively caused yourself to retain more water in the gut and in the subcutaneous layer as well as succeeded in flattening yourself out beyond repair by cutting sodium and water
                BioLayne LLC
                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• It's not that I'm lazy; it's that I just don't care.

Comment

• Ok Layne, another biochem/endocrin/nutrition question for you...

All this talk about GDA's and what not seems appealing to a certain extent as with any supplement known to man. But what gets me about GDA's as for offseason use is that they are always suggested to be taken right after workouts to help insulin "do its job" and hence lessing the insulin output needed to shuttle carbs into the muscle.

I can see how using these supplemental aids could help guys or gals who tend to get soft when eating even slightly to many carbs in the offseason yet they need to do so to gain mass. Using them in those later meals of the day sure. But why would you want to cause less insulin response after a workout? Would this not be the time to let insulin rise naturaly? I mean you already have GLUT-4 receptor translocation on hyperdrive at this point screaming to suck up carbs in the respective muscle groups.

Contest periods in another issue, lets not go there.
                    MS - Human Sport Performance
                    NSCA - CPT, CSCS

Comment

• Originally posted by Strikerrjones View Post
                      LOL...

Bottom line...don't cut water or sodium like the 90% that do.

Comment

• Layne (wrote this on the other thread in the No Bull section, but decided to post it in here), when you eat your 4 times a day meals where does your pre-mid-post shake go into that (if you still do that)? Would you count it as part of meal #2 if you workout after breakfast? For example, eat breakfast, wait about 2 hours, workout while drinking, etc. than 30-45 minutes after have your second meal? That just seems kind of odd because your waiting less than the 4-5 hours before starting to consume the shake, etc. Probably overanalyzing.
                        Also, I take it you don't believe that there is a certain amount of carbs that you can take in per sitting (bodytypes withstanding), than? Just meet the caloric goal for the day. Hopefully I didn't miss this in here someplace.
                        Last edited by Fitzchivalry; September 12, 2008, 01:13 PM.

Comment

well the carbohydrate transporter into the small intestine is sodium dependant and it has been shown that low sodium intake will reduce it's activity. that means you are loading a bunch of carbs but they aren't being taken into circulation as effectively. the excess carbs in the lumen of the gut will draw in water to dilute the solutes and make you hold water in the gut. Furthermore since you are cutting sodium and water your levels of aldosterone are drastically elevated to try and conserve sodium in the kidneys and so your kidneys reabsorb sodium into circulation to maintain blood sodium levels but since sodium must be reabsorbed with a molecular of water now you are also reabsorbing H20 as well. Only now since your are on a low sodium diet your blood pressure will be reduced and you won't have the nessecary pressure in the vascular system to maintain the water that you reabsorbed there and it will leak into the interstitial (subcutaneous) space. So now you have effectively caused yourself to retain more water in the gut and in the subcutaneous layer as well as succeeded in flattening yourself out beyond repair by cutting sodium and water
                          That's what I was looking for!

Thanks.
                          www.ironbrendan.com

Comment

• Layne, I have a question regarding an unbalanced bodypart. My left pec is very underdeveloped in comparison to the right. Do you think the best approach to balance them would be more dumbell work or two incorporate a second chest day were only the left side was worked?

Comment

well the carbohydrate transporter into the small intestine is sodium dependant and it has been shown that low sodium intake will reduce it's activity. that means you are loading a bunch of carbs but they aren't being taken into circulation as effectively. the excess carbs in the lumen of the gut will draw in water to dilute the solutes and make you hold water in the gut. Furthermore since you are cutting sodium and water your levels of aldosterone are drastically elevated to try and conserve sodium in the kidneys and so your kidneys reabsorb sodium into circulation to maintain blood sodium levels but since sodium must be reabsorbed with a molecular of water now you are also reabsorbing H20 as well. Only now since your are on a low sodium diet your blood pressure will be reduced and you won't have the nessecary pressure in the vascular system to maintain the water that you reabsorbed there and it will leak into the interstitial (subcutaneous) space. So now you have effectively caused yourself to retain more water in the gut and in the subcutaneous layer as well as succeeded in flattening yourself out beyond repair by cutting sodium and water
                              I would love to see someone argue against that with "logic" other than: "well INSERT IFBB PRO HERE cuts water and loads sodium and he won the INSERT IFBB PRO SHOW HERE and looked totally peeled and dry!"
                              Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                              http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Layne, I searched your threads and checked your comprehensive article but didn't see an opinion from you on red wine backstage to improve vascularity. Any merit to taking a few swigs?

Comment

Working...
                                X