Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne, what would be your take on this...

My legs are very similar to yours in which they respond greater to higher amounts of volume. They began to grow like weeds when I decided to run the Smolov routine, which had me squatting 4x per week. During this period of time I became accustomed to NO soreness after each workout, yet experienced growth like no other. What I'm getting at is, do you think I could apply this to other body parts as well? For instance, would it be reasonable to train chest perhaps 3-4x per week considering it's most lagging body part?

Currently Im dieting and bringing to light the many flaws in which I possess. Which happen to be my arms and chest. In my previous bulks I never trained the aforementioned more than 1-2x per week, and honestly, neglected direct arm training other than a few working sets here and there. Im curious to know if my body reacts more efficient to more volume/frequency as opposed to what Ive been doing.

Thanks.

Comment

• Layne, right now I am 5'9 176 at 10-12% bodyfat

I dieted to 8-10% at the beginning of august and over the last five weeks have gradually bumped my calories from 2000 to 2250 to 2500 to 2750 to 3000. ( i was paranoid of bulking quickly and acquiring fat) My cardio decreased/tapered from 1 hr 7x a week to 30-45 min 3-4 times per week (alongside intense training of course) currently.

For 4 weeks i was at 2750-3000 where my weight and BF% stabilized along with strength following a little bit too aggressive cut cycle where I ended up doing 1700 calories a day + an hour of cardio a day to reach 8-10% bodyfat.

I understand my baseline caloric requirements to maintain- 2750-3000 calories a day

For me to gain lean mass I understand that I need an additional 500-750 calories a day in my diet

I understand that at the end of the day that its about calories in versus calories out, but will including cardiovascular exercise (high intensity) 4x a week (300-400 calories/session) make my metabolism more efficient, and my body will be able to continue to grow with 3500 clean calories a day or will it detract from my caloric surplus and I will stagnate. (I have and endo-mesomorphic physique, I acquire fat rather easily)

I am wanting to put on as much lean mass as possible over the next 14 weeks while of course minimizing bodyfat accrual... Since I know my maintenance level what is your suggestion to me as far as total calories ( i have a pretty good grip on my own personal macronutrient ratios....) and whether and how much cardio to include....
      Last edited by deulense; September 14, 2008, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• hey layne i see you have a pre-contest calulater on bb.com

it tell me my cals carbs and protein. my question is do i put in my total body weight or my lbm to get my diet from there?

Comment

• Could anybody tell me what the background music for the Unleashed trailer is? I just spent about 45 minutes searching through this thread for it as I'm pretty sure I saw it before... but I probably just skimmed right past it or something. Thanks.
          It's not that I'm lazy; it's that I just don't care.

Comment

• I was having a look through google and found a routine that is sayed to be laynes? Layne is this or is it any were close to your routine? It says there are a lot of superset body parts like Lat Pulldown superset with Dumbbell Shrugs? Surly if you train hard enough on lat pulldowns you wont have enough energy to complete some heavy shrugs and also on chest and arm day it goes form a chest exercise then to a tricep exercise then back to a chest. Should all exercises be performed eg all chest then go onto do arms or is it better mixing it up during the whole workout.

Can any one help please

Sunday: Upper Power
            -5x5 or 3x5 for all lifts(5x5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3x5 on cut)
            -Barbell Bench Press
            -Barbell Rows
            -Military Press
            -Barbell Shrugs
            Monday: Lower Power
            -5x5 or 3x5 for all lifts(5x5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3x5 on cut)
            -Back Squat
            -Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
            -6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, i like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Tues: Off (I usually do some cardio)

Wednesday: Hypertrophy Chest/Arms
            (For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
            -DB Incline Bech 3x8-12
            -Barbell Close Grip Bench 3x8-12
            -DB Flat Bench 2x8-12
            -Preacher Curls 3x8-12 super setted with
            -Standing French Press 3x8-12
            -Push Downs 3x8-12 super setted with
            -DB Hammer Curls
            -Cable Crossovers 3x8-12
            -Machine Curl 3x8-12 supersetted with
            -Machine Dips 3x8-12
            Thursday: Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps
            (For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
            -DB Shoulder Press 3x8-12 super setted with
            -DB Front Raise 3x8-12
            -DB One Arm Row 3x8-12 super setted with
            -DB Arnold Press 3x8-12
            -Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 2x8-12 super setted with
            -DB Shrugs 2x10-15
            -Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 2x8-12 super setted with
            -DB Upright Row 2x10-15
            -T Bar Row 2x8-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)
            Friday: Hypertrophy Legs/Calves
            -Hack Squat 5x8-12 super setted with
            -Standing Calf 5x10-15
            -Leg Extensions 5x10-15 super setted with
            -Sitting Leg Curls 5x10-15 super setted with
            -Sitting Calf Raise 4x8-12

Saturday: Off (cardio if you want)

Comment

• no that's not mine, looks like someone trying to rip mine off
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• yeah i didnt think it was yours but you know what the internet is like these days.

Layne - do you reccomend supper settting back / shoulders like that workout sayed or do you do say chest then move onto do arms?

Comment

• Layne,

How do you feel about lentils and barley as carb sources? Do you feel that they would be better then oatmeal b/c they are lower GI rating? Thanks!
                  "Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world."

Comment

• layne-

i gotta question but its not about training or nutrition.

if you have a client, and you keep making changes there to there diet and they are still not progressing in fact there are going backwards..

what do u do? i mean they claim there not cheating.. but u know logicallly it is almost impossible for them to be gaining weight/not progressing if they are doing things properly..

have u ever come across this?

Comment

• Layne

Did you watch the TU this year?
                      If so may I get some advice from you on what I need to work on to improve for next year? feel free to be brutal I need some feedback
                      I really appreciate it

-Aj Moore

Comment

• Aj I looked at your pics, honestly you have very few weaknesses, your structure is absolutely fabulous. In fact I am quite envious lol. However I think the 2 things that hold you back are 1) you need to be leaner in the glut/ham area and to an extent all around. Your conditioning is good, but the bar gets raised every year and good just don't cut it anymore. 2) Some of your poses are not executed as well as they could be...they aren't bad but there is room for improvement.

That's about it that I can see.

Great job, you have a fantastic future
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• hey layne i see you have a pre-contest calulater on bb.com

it tell me my cals carbs and protein. my question is do i put in my total body weight or my lbm to get my diet from there?

Comment

• Originally posted by platinum18 View Post
                            hey layne i see you have a pre-contest calulater on bb.com

Total BW

Comment

• link?

Comment

• give me a few days for the rest of these ?s guys. life is hectic right now. I'm working on 2 review papers and my prelims as well as working up data in my lab and working with a lot of clients.
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X