Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    Aj I looked at your pics, honestly you have very few weaknesses, your structure is absolutely fabulous. In fact I am quite envious lol. However I think the 2 things that hold you back are 1) you need to be leaner in the glut/ham area and to an extent all around. Your conditioning is good, but the bar gets raised every year and good just don't cut it anymore. 2) Some of your poses are not executed as well as they could be...they aren't bad but there is room for improvement.

That's about it that I can see.

Great job, you have a fantastic future

Thanks alot Lane this give me some ideal of where I need to focus for next year.

-Aj

Comment

• Layne, I've noticed that you will have your guys do full-body circuits and high rep work as well as cardio during the final week, in the middle of the carb-up process. What is the rationale for this?

Loading a muscle and then emptying it again, doesn't appear to make sense, since we know that glycogen in the muscle will stay there for quite a while if you don't train it. Why not just move the carb up later in the week, dry them out by reducing carbs the last couple of days and then doing some light posing or high-rep work in the morning of contest day to facilitate the additional carbs (if needed) for the final "topping off".

I wholeheartedly concur with your water and sodium strategies, though - never made any sense to me to cut it up to 2-3 days prior given how fast the body will upregulate aldosterone and ADH...

Comment

• because if you are loading carbs while not working out, the body has no reason to maintain all that glycogen. Glucose will start leaking back out of the cell. I always find it funny how guys stop working out on tuesday and then wonder why they can't get a pump on saturday LOL. The circuit is light and non-fatiguing... just enough to upregulate GLUT4 receptors to maintain maximal glycogen in the cell. Glycogen is a relatively 'expensive' form of energy storage and if you don't use the muscle... it is going to start shedding glycogen
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• From my understanding, muscle lacks the enzyme for breking down glycogen, hence a loaded muscle will retain a supercompensated state for several days (up to 3) unless it is trained. So how does this "leaking" of glucose happen if you keep carbs at a level to support both brain requirements and daily activity (e.g. 150g), and don't do any high-intensity activity?

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/342
          http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/co...ll/285/6/E1304

Comment

• if the muscle does not have the enzyme to break down glycogen (glycogen phosphorylase) then how could you ever use glycogen for energy? That wouldn't make any sense. It most definitely has the enzyme.

That study you posted is using depletion exercise protocol. The small circuit training I recommend is hardly depleting at all.
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Well, obviously some degree of depletion will happen with daily activity, but I do think high rep training scales that dramatically. Case in point, I do not see the reasoning for carbing up a muscle (achieved by high carbs following a depletion/weight training session, thus upregulating GLUT-4), and then follow that with training and carbs again, essentially depleting and refilling over and over again. If we can maintain a supercompensated state for at least 2 days, why not do an early workout Wednesday, carb up to the max by Thursday afternoon or so, drop carbs to dry out the rest of Thursday + Friday, then reintroduce a little carbs on Friday night and Saturday morning depending on conditioning and to top off glycogen that might have been lost from daily activity?

I'm not challenging you here, as I actually employ variations of this myself, and really respect the conditioning both yourself and your clients have achieved - I'm just throwing some ideas around.

Comment

• Layne, know your as busy as heck but I thought I would just chuck this question out there again... I searched your threads and checked your comprehensive article but didn't see an opinion from you on red wine backstage to improve vascularity. Any merit to taking a few swigs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blade_MyR View Post
                  Well, obviously some degree of depletion will happen with daily activity, but I do think high rep training scales that dramatically. Case in point, I do not see the reasoning for carbing up a muscle (achieved by high carbs following a depletion/weight training session, thus upregulating GLUT-4), and then follow that with training and carbs again, essentially depleting and refilling over and over again. If we can maintain a supercompensated state for at least 2 days, why not do an early workout Wednesday, carb up to the max by Thursday afternoon or so, drop carbs to dry out the rest of Thursday + Friday, then reintroduce a little carbs on Friday night and Saturday morning depending on conditioning and to top off glycogen that might have been lost from daily activity?

I'm not challenging you here, as I actually employ variations of this myself, and really respect the conditioning both yourself and your clients have achieved - I'm just throwing some ideas around.
                  well the other issue is water. training should put more fluid into the muscle as well and keep it more insulin sensitive due to increased blood flow and keep glut-4 upregulated... this will help prevent spill over on saturday during the final carb 'load' day
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Graphlex View Post
                    Layne, know your as busy as heck but I thought I would just chuck this question out there again... I searched your threads and checked your comprehensive article but didn't see an opinion from you on red wine backstage to improve vascularity. Any merit to taking a few swigs?
                    Due to the fact that most bodybuilding shows are held in schools (either high school or university) alcohol is often times banned on campus. Case and point this past weekend the promoters were EXPLICIT with competitors that if they even smelled any wine on you that you would be dismissed from the show.
                    Shelby 01/2000 - 4/18/10. Rest in peace baby, there's no more suffering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baftub View Post
                      Layne, what would be your take on this...

My legs are very similar to yours in which they respond greater to higher amounts of volume. They began to grow like weeds when I decided to run the Smolov routine, which had me squatting 4x per week. During this period of time I became accustomed to NO soreness after each workout, yet experienced growth like no other. What I'm getting at is, do you think I could apply this to other body parts as well? For instance, would it be reasonable to train chest perhaps 3-4x per week considering it's most lagging body part?

Currently Im dieting and bringing to light the many flaws in which I possess. Which happen to be my arms and chest. In my previous bulks I never trained the aforementioned more than 1-2x per week, and honestly, neglected direct arm training other than a few working sets here and there. Im curious to know if my body reacts more efficient to more volume/frequency as opposed to what Ive been doing.

Thanks.
                      Bumping this to the next page.. sorry if you read it already :P , thanks Layne.

Comment

• Originally posted by GameofInches View Post
                        Layne,

How do you feel about lentils and barley as carb sources? Do you feel that they would be better then oatmeal b/c they are lower GI rating? Thanks!
                        BUMP
                        "Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world."

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                          well the other issue is water. training should put more fluid into the muscle as well and keep it more insulin sensitive due to increased blood flow and keep glut-4 upregulated... this will help prevent spill over on saturday during the final carb 'load' day
                          Well, I haven't really had any issues with that, which couldn't simply be rectified with a light pump'n pose session Saturday morning prior to or immediately after the first meal.

My apologies, but I still don't see a good reason to deplete a muscle that has already been loaded 1-2 days prior, especially if we want to ensure a proper drying out process by taking carbs low Friday (and medium-low Thursday). It appears to be a 2 steps forward - 1 step back process, it apparently works great for you and your competitors though... I see Skip does his fill-and-spill thing on Wednesday (the Skiploading thread), but no mention of doing further training beyond that point.

I'm open to anything that can improve the loading and drying out process, so I'll experiment with this, though. You're saying a low-volume, light full-body circuit on Thursday, but not Friday for a Saturday show? And at this point, the carbs have already been tapered from a high point earlier in the week as far as I can tell from your earlier posts/articles?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blade_MyR View Post
                            My apologies, but I still don't see a good reason to deplete a muscle that has already been loaded 1-2 days prior
                            Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            The small circuit training I recommend is hardly depleting at all.
                            not layne...just trying to help you answer your question
                            Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                            http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• A couple of sets of higher reps where you get into the glycolytic pathway - "feel the burn" - can actually deplete the muscle quite a bit. According to studies (from recollection, don't have the references at hand), 2 sets in the 15-25 rep range can deplete a muscle by about 20-30mmol/kg of total glycogen.

Comment

• Originally posted by GameofInches View Post
                                Layne,

How do you feel about lentils and barley as carb sources? Do you feel that they would be better then oatmeal b/c they are lower GI rating? Thanks
                                I wouldnt base your food choices just on their GI. In reality the GI will be affected the minute you add a protein and fat source to the meal. The whole glycemic index fad has gotten so out of hand. Take a look at ice cream...it has a lower GI than oatmeal. I wouldnt stress the whole issue too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X