Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • if you are an adults and not under like 18 years old then spiking insulin super high isn't going to help more than just increasing it moderately. I would recommend a mix of slow/fast digesting carbs like maybe 50/50 WMS & oatmeal with some free form leucine and whey protein
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

    Comment


    • today's workout was my final peak heavy squat workout for this month. After today I'm backing off for the next 4 weeks as i've been doing some form of heavy squats for 8 weeks in a row. Sets were as follows:

      325 X 5
      355 X 5
      385 X 5
      415 X 5
      445 X 5* new personal record. My old pr was 445 for 3, and they were very crappy reps. These were pretty darn solid... my knee did come in ever so slightly, but I still felt it was really good form, and I felt like I easily had 2 reps left. So I'll take a month to work back up and go for 455 X 5, or perhaps higher
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

      Comment


      • Excellent strength. Any video?

        Comment


        • yea but i had to take it myself so it really sucks so I may just wait til i hit 455 for 5 to post anything up
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

          Comment


          • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            if you are an adults and not under like 18 years old then spiking insulin super high isn't going to help more than just increasing it moderately. I would recommend a mix of slow/fast digesting carbs like maybe 50/50 WMS & oatmeal with some free form leucine and whey protein
            Whould you mix all of that together, or have the waxy maize first then the oats and whey?

            Comment


            • either way
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

              Comment


              • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                either way
                Ok Thanks! I think I will try them together

                Comment


                • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                  today's workout was my final peak heavy squat workout for this month. After today I'm backing off for the next 4 weeks as i've been doing some form of heavy squats for 8 weeks in a row. Sets were as follows:

                  325 X 5
                  355 X 5
                  385 X 5
                  415 X 5
                  445 X 5* new personal record. My old pr was 445 for 3, and they were very crappy reps. These were pretty darn solid... my knee did come in ever so slightly, but I still felt it was really good form, and I felt like I easily had 2 reps left. So I'll take a month to work back up and go for 455 X 5, or perhaps higher
                  man that's awsome - you're a beast! Props big time!

                  Comment


                  • Hey Layne, I started a thread about this topic in the No Bull section a few days ago, and I was wondering if you elaborate a bit. Here it goes:

                    Do you guys think that the striated glute trend is somewhat damaging to competition, in terms of losing size? We all know that everyone holds their body fat in different places, so while some guys can have striated glutes 8 weeks out, their upper bodies may still be soft. This typically has the reverse effect though where their glutes are the last to come in.

                    My main question is do a lot of guys give up muscle just so their butts can be shredded? Guys like Ronnie Coleman do not apply, but do you think that guys like Melvin and Troy Alves would end up coming in small (for them) and overdieted if they dieted to the point of striated glutes?

                    This just seems like a trend that needs to not be judged so harshly because a lot of guys sacrifice that awesome full look, along with a few lbs of muscle, just so their butts have lines in them.

                    Comment


                    • layne-

                      this isnt a question, i just wanted to let you know i am so amped to get shredded again.. i cant wait till march rolls around.. we are going to have my glutes looking like a cheese grater this time! LOL talk to you soon

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by emazur24 View Post
                        Hey Layne, I started a thread about this topic in the No Bull section a few days ago, and I was wondering if you elaborate a bit. Here it goes:

                        Do you guys think that the striated glute trend is somewhat damaging to competition, in terms of losing size? We all know that everyone holds their body fat in different places, so while some guys can have striated glutes 8 weeks out, their upper bodies may still be soft. This typically has the reverse effect though where their glutes are the last to come in.

                        My main question is do a lot of guys give up muscle just so their butts can be shredded? Guys like Ronnie Coleman do not apply, but do you think that guys like Melvin and Troy Alves would end up coming in small (for them) and overdieted if they dieted to the point of striated glutes?

                        This just seems like a trend that needs to not be judged so harshly because a lot of guys sacrifice that awesome full look, along with a few lbs of muscle, just so their butts have lines in them.
                        not really. in almost all cases, the leaner you come in the more muscular you look onstage. If you come in looking stringy you either 1) didn't have enough muscle to begin with 2) dieted too harshly or tried to lose weight too fast (which many of those IFBB pros do) or 3) cut a ton of water or practiced many of the popular final week BS tricks that just flatten you out a ton
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by hulk7280 View Post
                          layne-

                          this isnt a question, i just wanted to let you know i am so amped to get shredded again.. i cant wait till march rolls around.. we are going to have my glutes looking like a cheese grater this time! LOL talk to you soon
                          looking forward to it
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            today's workout was my final peak heavy squat workout for this month. After today I'm backing off for the next 4 weeks as i've been doing some form of heavy squats for 8 weeks in a row. Sets were as follows:

                            325 X 5
                            355 X 5
                            385 X 5
                            415 X 5
                            445 X 5* new personal record. My old pr was 445 for 3, and they were very crappy reps. These were pretty darn solid... my knee did come in ever so slightly, but I still felt it was really good form, and I felt like I easily had 2 reps left. So I'll take a month to work back up and go for 455 X 5, or perhaps higher
                            how big your legs measure these days

                            Comment


                            • right at 28" on the biggest part of the thigh.
                              BioLayne LLC
                              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

                              Comment


                              • yo layne do you take aminos during workout? im taking xtend with a creatine drink, i take 4 scoops of xtend per workout 2 pre 2 post should i save it all til last or mix my 2 pre in with my creatine adn drink during. also is glutamine liek MHP glutamine sustained release worth the time and money or not?
                                New-Man Nutrition
                                Live Free, Train Hard

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X