Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legs

layne, Do you feel that leg training should be split up into quads/hamstrings on there own seperate days? The legs are indeed a big area to hammer in one day. My legs are a big strong point for me and I split up the quads and hamstrings on seperate days, but a respectable bodybuilder mention to me that if my legs are a strong point I should be training them together(hams and quads) on the same day. whats your input?

What is your opinion of the adduction/abbduction machines for legs? benifical? or a waste of time and not needed?

Comment

• Originally posted by bighit17wolves View Post
      yo layne do you take aminos during workout? im taking xtend with a creatine drink, i take 4 scoops of xtend per workout 2 pre 2 post should i save it all til last or mix my 2 pre in with my creatine adn drink during. also is glutamine liek MHP glutamine sustained release worth the time and money or not?
      i've covered supplements extensively... as well as my thoughts on glutamine. There is very little evidence to suggest glutamine has any beneficial effects on muscle building. i have a proper pre and post workout meal then I have some xtend about 30 minutes before training (1-2 scoops) and then 2-3 scoops after training with some creatine & beta-alanine each time
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Big J R View Post
        layne, Do you feel that leg training should be split up into quads/hamstrings on there own seperate days? The legs are indeed a big area to hammer in one day. My legs are a big strong point for me and I split up the quads and hamstrings on seperate days, but a respectable bodybuilder mention to me that if my legs are a strong point I should be training them together(hams and quads) on the same day. whats your input?

What is your opinion of the adduction/abbduction machines for legs? benifical? or a waste of time and not needed?
        well i prefer to work legs 2-3x/week, nothing else ever got my legs to grow. 1x/week didn't do jack. so i work all of them together. anywhere from 20-35 sets for calves/quads/hammies each workout. Only thing that ever made them grow
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Your recovery ability must be extraordinary. Whenever I try to do high volume, as the weeks pass, I just get more and more jaded.

Comment

• what would be your beta alanine protocol?
            New-Man Nutrition
            Live Free, Train Hard

Comment

• i keep hearing damn good things about the DVD, i gotta grab it but from what i hear congrats!
              New-Man Nutrition
              Live Free, Train Hard

Comment

• hey Layne, I was just wondering if this is an okay diet for pre contest?
                Meal 1: 4 whole omega 3 eggs and 1000mg fish oil
                meal 2: 50g protine shake 2 tbs nattie pb
                meal 3: 8oz chicken w 1/3 cup of almonds 1000mg fish oil
                meal 4: 50g protine shake and 2tbs pb
                meal 5: 8oz red meat and a small salad w ev olive oil
                meal 6: 50g protine shake 1tbs pb and 4 omega-3 egg whites
                I eat every 2 hours starting at 8 a.m good?

Comment

• Originally posted by brdragon7 View Post
                  hey Layne, I was just wondering if this is an okay diet for pre contest?
                  Meal 1: 4 whole omega 3 eggs and 1000mg fish oil
                  meal 2: 50g protine shake 2 tbs nattie pb
                  meal 3: 8oz chicken w 1/3 cup of almonds 1000mg fish oil
                  meal 4: 50g protine shake and 2tbs pb
                  meal 5: 8oz red meat and a small salad w ev olive oil
                  meal 6: 50g protine shake 1tbs pb and 4 omega-3 egg whites
                  I eat every 2 hours starting at 8 a.m good?
                  you stop eating at 6pm?
                  Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                  http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• yea y?

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                      well i prefer to work legs 2-3x/week, nothing else ever got my legs to grow. 1x/week didn't do jack. so i work all of them together. anywhere from 20-35 sets for calves/quads/hammies each workout. Only thing that ever made them grow
                      20-35 sets, 2-3x a week, training the entire leg in the workout , i don't think you will ever hear me complain about training my legs together in a single workout

Comment

• Originally posted by brdragon7 View Post
                        yea y?
                        what time do you go to sleep? why do you not eat after 6?
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaus Urine View Post
                          Your recovery ability must be extraordinary. Whenever I try to do high volume, as the weeks pass, I just get more and more jaded.
                          how long have you tried to stay on high volume/high frequency? It took me almost 6 weeks to adapt to it to where I wasn't very sore all the time, but once I pushed through that, I had no problems. I don't have extraordinary recovery, I just conditioned my body to be that way.

back when i worked out everything 1x/week, my legs would be sore for 6 days. I was like you, I figured "damn if i'm sore for 6 days there's no way i could train legs 2x/week... I'm probably overtraining as it is"

Fortunately I read studies and listened to scientific reasoning rather than going off what the 'bros' were telling me and I started training everything 2x/week, at first I was so run down and felt like crap, I was sure I was overtraining, but I decided I'd give it 2 months just to prove once and for all it didn't work. After 2 months, I hardly ever got sore more than a day or 2, and I had put nearly 2/3" on my legs and my strength was going through the roof! I'm not some kind of special bodytype or anything. I just conditioned my body to adapt to this training. Nearly anyone can do it (barring injury) most people are just too scared of the 'overtraining' boogeyman
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• layne how many gms beta alanine do you take daily and when do you time then???
                            New-Man Nutrition
                            Live Free, Train Hard

Comment

how long have you tried to stay on high volume/high frequency? It took me almost 6 weeks to adapt to it to where I wasn't very sore all the time, but once I pushed through that, I had no problems. I don't have extraordinary recovery, I just conditioned my body to be that way.

back when i worked out everything 1x/week, my legs would be sore for 6 days. I was like you, I figured "damn if i'm sore for 6 days there's no way i could train legs 2x/week... I'm probably overtraining as it is"

Fortunately I read studies and listened to scientific reasoning rather than going off what the 'bros' were telling me and I started training everything 2x/week, at first I was so run down and felt like crap, I was sure I was overtraining, but I decided I'd give it 2 months just to prove once and for all it didn't work. After 2 months, I hardly ever got sore more than a day or 2, and I had put nearly 2/3" on my legs and my strength was going through the roof! I'm not some kind of special bodytype or anything. I just conditioned my body to adapt to this training. Nearly anyone can do it (barring injury) most people are just too scared of the 'overtraining' boogeyman

So I take it you dont give much for Mentzerīs theories?

Comment

I actually do everything twice a week now, but my volume is quite low. If I up to the volume by much, I end up feeling really tired after about 8 weeks or so. I suspect my CNS isn't really into it.

Comment

Working...
                                X