Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i go to sleep around 9. bc i am really trying to get in good condition

Comment

• Hey Layne if you work legs 2-3 times per week what type of split are you doing. Do you just work the other body parts in between legs days? And do you have rest days?

Comment

• Layne - just wanted to first say that I still am playing your DVD non-stop... after I do DC for a while I'm gonna give PHAT a go!

Question - have you ever heard of someone becoming allergic to a food? 2 weeks ago I started developing a strange series of red dots that have been popping up here and there on my body - nothing has changed in my diet - now, since 2 weeks has gone by it looks and feels like a combination of poison ivy and hives, although I know for sure it's not those two things - I've noticed that yesterday and today, after I had a shake with oats and whey, I've become extremly itchy in those spots about an hour after. Honestly, I can't figure it out, I'm trying to narrow it down, I just don't see how someone could randomly develop an allergy like this, I've been eating oats forever.

The dermatologist will give me some more insight thursday, but I'm just seeking a little more scientific info... I'll keep you posted on my mystery ailment... haha..

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          Fortunately I read studies and listened to scientific reasoning rather than going off what the 'bros' were telling me and I started training everything 2x/week,
          can you link some of these studies? if not can you give a quick summary?

thankz bro!
          P/RR/S AAEFX Board Rep www.AAEFX.com Pure. Potent. Drug-free.

Comment

• Originally posted by brdragon7 View Post
            i go to sleep around 9. bc i am really trying to get in good condition
            I'd suggest looking through layne's faq or read through this thread (I know its long) but he has gone on at length about why eating every 2 hours is not a very good idea, and about how the primary concern of dieting is not only to get lean but also to maintain muscle....

and if you think about it....eating every 2 hours and then not eating from 6pm until you wake up...not a very consistent meal plan. Maybe try eating 5 bigger meals and spread them out every 3-4 hours and have one right before you go to bed
            Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
            http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• thanks but does the diet look solid for pre contest?

Comment

• Hey Layne, just saw the most recent episode w/ Farzan... I totally agree with the whole rotator cuff stuff. I just did a paper on rotator cuff injuries. I personally have noticed better gains and less pain with the grip you mentioned, it seems like what i've found is that keeps your humerus in the plane of the scapula (or what PT's just call scaption) and that's the ideal plane of movement for the shoulder musculature...
                Btw, finally saw pics from the Indiana show that Farzan was in.... I'm planning on competing in this one next year! It looks like it's getting tougher every year. What did you think of the overall winner, is he a freak or what????
                http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...n?goto=newpost

Comment

• Cycle off Creatine?

Hi Layne,

Thanks for all the great info here. I'm only on page 45 of this thread so far so forgive me if this has been asked before.

Most people I talk to in supp shops & gym subscribe to the idea of cycling off creatine every three months or so with a month off, so the body doesn't become used to it.

I'm really not looking forward to going off and seeing a drop in strenght/weight/endurance. Even if it's slight. Is there any scientific evidence to back the cycle on/off theory or has this just been accepted as true? Do you cycle it on/off?

Thanks
                  Paul
                  Last edited by VegasWine; October 22, 2008, 06:17 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by brdragon7 View Post
                    thanks but does the diet look solid for pre contest?
                    i have no idea. i know next to nothing about you. You can't just post a diet and expect me to be able to know if that's exactly right for you when I know nothing about you

Look I know the norm in this industry is for a contest prep guy to ask you your height and weight and then send you a generic meal plan and so people think they can give you like 2 pieces of info and get a diet out of you, but that's not how I work. I spend hours working on plans to tweak them to what I think will fit the person best, and then I spend weeks after I make them tweaking them to try to get the most out of them.

I can't stand it when I get emails like "hey bro, i'm 195 lbs, what should i be eating"

how the F*^$ should I know? There is not one diet out there for everyone, everyone is different and it depends on more than just your weight.

sorry for the rant, but it gets frustrating when you try to answer questions but you have people who don't even give you enough information to answer the question in the first place.

In any case, having your last meal 3 hours before bed is not a good idea. you are already going 8 hours without eating at night... now you are extending that catabolic period further by 3 hours. Eating before bed will not make you fat, contrary to what the 'gurus' say.

I love how when people bulk if you talk about going more than 2 hours without food they freak out and tell you that you are going catabolic, but all the sudden when you are cutting they tell you to do fasted cardio, and not eat before bed... absolutely moronic
                    BioLayne LLC
                    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillyXJ View Post
                      Layne - just wanted to first say that I still am playing your DVD non-stop... after I do DC for a while I'm gonna give PHAT a go!

Question - have you ever heard of someone becoming allergic to a food? 2 weeks ago I started developing a strange series of red dots that have been popping up here and there on my body - nothing has changed in my diet - now, since 2 weeks has gone by it looks and feels like a combination of poison ivy and hives, although I know for sure it's not those two things - I've noticed that yesterday and today, after I had a shake with oats and whey, I've become extremly itchy in those spots about an hour after. Honestly, I can't figure it out, I'm trying to narrow it down, I just don't see how someone could randomly develop an allergy like this, I've been eating oats forever.

The dermatologist will give me some more insight thursday, but I'm just seeking a little more scientific info... I'll keep you posted on my mystery ailment... haha..
                      thanks, and yes it is definintely possible to develop a late onset food allergy
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• i'm sorry guys this is all the questions i can answer for today. my prelims are in 2 weeks and i have to have my thesis finished in 7 days to give to the committee. You are going to have to cut me some slack
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Layne,
                          Question: When cutting someone slack, how much would you give them? Do you need to cycle this 'slack' or can you cut someone slack on a daily basis?
                          I've been thinking of cutting some slack lately, but should I 'give me a break' first?
                          Assistant to the regional manager.
                          Iron8 approved

Comment

• Originally posted by Toddbz View Post
                            Layne,
                            Question: When cutting someone slack, how much would you give them? Do you need to cycle this 'slack' or can you cut someone slack on a daily basis?
                            I've been thinking of cutting some slack lately, but should I 'give me a break' first?
                            Sorry layne, but this is f**king hilarious!

Comment

• Originally posted by gator20jcl View Post
                              Hey Layne if you work legs 2-3 times per week what type of split are you doing. Do you just work the other body parts in between legs days? And do you have rest days?
                              Good questions Gator!

I'm having difficulty getting any size on my wheels -

Layne - any suggestions for a split if i work em 2-3 x a week

Rite now I do
                              Calves at the start of chest day
                              Quads & glutes one day
                              tehn Hamms 2 days later

thanks Bro - U da man!

BTW - how's your Pec ? all good now? hope so!

Comment

• Originally posted by leanbody View Post
                                Good questions Gator!

I'm having difficulty getting any size on my wheels -

Layne - any suggestions for a split if i work em 2-3 x a week

Rite now I do
                                Calves at the start of chest day
                                Quads & glutes one day
                                tehn Hamms 2 days later

thanks Bro - U da man!

BTW - how's your Pec ? all good now? hope so!
                                Obviously I'm not Layne, but I believe the first thing he would ask is what do you do for them now?
                                One thing you have to remember is simply how resilient the legs are. So keeping that in mind there is an appropriate time to just beat the piss out of them, and a time to make them stronger. What's nice is you even get a cross over effect from one to the other.
                                Most people just don't work them hard enough when they're having difficulties in growth.
                                So my suggestion would be to challenge yourself and see where that takes you. You'd be surprised what'll happen when to push harder than you ever thought you could.
                                Assistant to the regional manager.
                                Iron8 approved

Comment

Working...
                                X