Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hey Layne I'm a big fan man........I hope to be where you are one day.....I had a question about protein intake.............I'm allergic to milk and all dairy products, including all types of whey protein(isolate, hydrolysate).......so I've been taking soy protein pre and post-workout mixed with creatine and glutamine........but I've heard conflicting reports about the value of soy protein.........some sources say it's just as good as whey and other types, but others say it has detrimental effects on bodybuilders, namely, the increasing of estrogen...........I was wondering what you're thoughts on my consumption of it is.......should I continue to take soy protein post-workout, or should I take another type of protein like casein powder or whole food?

    Comment


    • layne ,

      i know you don't like to cut carbs out of dieting , but i wanted you to take a look at this response from dave and give me your insight on it since i know you work closely with amino acid science as well.

      I was just wondering your thoughts on Eric Broser's new article in the December issue of MD.. I am a natural bodybuilder and if I was considering utilizing your diet for when I diet next, but then I saw this and thought I would ask your opinion? I realize that I won't be building muscle during the diet but will no carbs cause muscle loss like he says? Anything will help! also anybody else that have suggestions don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks
      My diet includes a significant amount of healthy fats. Without fat your body cannot make testosterone and without testosterone you cannot build or preserve muscle (along with depression, lack of energy, decreased sexual function, to name a few). Most natural clients of mine find that they maintain more muscle because they do not suffer the testosterone crash that is inevitable on a traditional moderate carb-no fat diet. Remember, fats are not optional.....they're "ESSENTIAL"....that's why they're called EFAs (essential fatty acids).............. also, INSULIN is not necessary (as Broser indicates) to drive carbs and amino acids into the muscle since in a low carb, low insulin environment, GH levels soar and IGF-1 levels follow suit. IGF-1 is significantly more anabolic and it drives amino acids into the muscle cells with much great efficiency. Also, as Dr. SCOTT CONNELLY pointed out on NO BULL RADIO, 80% of the glucose that's used while weight-training comes from conversion of amino acids into glucose (gluconeogenesis) in the liver. This fact clearly demonstrates why carbs are unnecessary!

      Comment


      • testosterone will drop on a diet regardless of fat intake. It's purely an energetics issue. Now that said, if EFAs are not sufficient in the diet then you will have a much more pronounced drop. But once you have sufficient level, doubling that will not somehow double testosterone, that's just not how it works. Also, some studies have shown that high fat meals actually inhibit testosterone release.

        Carbs are not nessecary he is right.

        But nessecary is not the same thing as 'optimal' they are 2 different questions
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

        Comment


        • Originally posted by D-Block View Post
          Hey Layne I'm a big fan man........I hope to be where you are one day.....I had a question about protein intake.............I'm allergic to milk and all dairy products, including all types of whey protein(isolate, hydrolysate).......so I've been taking soy protein pre and post-workout mixed with creatine and glutamine........but I've heard conflicting reports about the value of soy protein.........some sources say it's just as good as whey and other types, but others say it has detrimental effects on bodybuilders, namely, the increasing of estrogen...........I was wondering what you're thoughts on my consumption of it is.......should I continue to take soy protein post-workout, or should I take another type of protein like casein powder or whole food?
          I actually just finished a study comparing the effects of wheat, soy, egg, and whey on protein synthesis in muscle. It seems that soy and wheat are not very good at stimulating protein synthesis from our preliminary data... this may be due to 1) the phytochemicals in it which activate AMPK which can inhibit mTOR signaling & decrease protein synthesis and 2) the lower leucine content (8%) of soy. Animals eating soy protein also had lower bodyweights than animals eating egg or whey. I would make sure you supplement with BCAA/leucine if you are taking in soy to increase the 'quality' of the protein

          I think soy would probably be ok so long as you
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

          Comment


          • Thanks for replying to my last post man, I know you're a busy dude..............I wanted to know what you feel are the top 10 essential supplements for a bodybuilder to take to really cover all his bases from recovery, to joint care, to muscle growth...........sometimes its difficult to differentiate between really effective, necessary supplements and marketing hype......I'm asking you as opposed to some of the other natural bodybuilders on the forum simply because of your educational background when it comes to the body............

            Comment


            • Originally posted by D-Block View Post
              Thanks for replying to my last post man, I know you're a busy dude..............I wanted to know what you feel are the top 10 essential supplements for a bodybuilder to take to really cover all his bases from recovery, to joint care, to muscle growth...........sometimes its difficult to differentiate between really effective, necessary supplements and marketing hype......I'm asking you as opposed to some of the other natural bodybuilders on the forum simply because of your educational background when it comes to the body............
              From Layne's FAQ:

              For basics, he likes:

              Multivitamin
              Fish Oil
              BCAA's
              Creatine Monohydrate
              Beta Alanine

              Going a bit further, he says he'd add in:

              Joint supplement (Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM)
              Antioxidant (ALA maybe)
              Sesamin
              Cissus
              A fat burner like Dialene 4 if cutting

              Comment


              • Whats up Layne. I Mentioned something about de novo lipogenesis a while ago and we talked about it today in class again. There were some recent studies that show that it doesn't occur much at all even when dietary carbohydrates are really high. The only reason fat is gained is bc ANY and ALL fat present in the blood while glucose levels are so high is immediately stored. My professor said he isn't convinced that carbs never get converted and stored as body fat but that since it is a metabolically expensive process that the body will do its best to avoid it. Do you agree with this? Have you heard about these recent studies regarding de novo lipogenesis? BC before recently I was definitely under the impression that excess carbohydrate/glucose is readily converted and stored as adipose tissue.
                Up the dose, Lift the most!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                  testosterone will drop on a diet regardless of fat intake. It's purely an energetics issue. Now that said, if EFAs are not sufficient in the diet then you will have a much more pronounced drop. But once you have sufficient level, doubling that will not somehow double testosterone, that's just not how it works. Also, some studies have shown that high fat meals actually inhibit testosterone release.

                  Carbs are not nessecary he is right.

                  But nessecary is not the same thing as 'optimal' they are 2 different questions
                  good point taken

                  Comment


                  • how long were these studies that were done. many of these are short studies... a few days. My guess is you need weeks on a diet before the DNL enzymes upregulate enough to see significant DNL
                    BioLayne LLC
                    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

                    Comment


                    • Layne , do you know much about CoQ10? whats the big hype about this supplement? i know its a antioxidant, a pretty dam expensive one , but does it really live up to all the hype it gets?

                      Comment


                      • reason i asked about the coq10 is that i was born with a slight leaky heart valve

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                          testosterone will drop on a diet regardless of fat intake. It's purely an energetics issue. Now that said, if EFAs are not sufficient in the diet then you will have a much more pronounced drop. But once you have sufficient level, doubling that will not somehow double testosterone, that's just not how it works. Also, some studies have shown that high fat meals actually inhibit testosterone release.

                          Carbs are not nessecary he is right.

                          But nessecary is not the same thing as 'optimal' they are 2 different questions
                          when do test start to drop and do u think one can benifit from from have carbs and no fats or fats and no carbs when dieting or is it best to cycle both methods when dieting down

                          for example u diet like u would usually do one week than the next week u diet like Marc Lobliner
                          http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/ygbodybuilder10/

                          Comment


                          • Layne-

                            I have been having knee problems latelty so I went to the Ortho to find out what was going on and he said that I have Quad tendinitas.. and he told me to not to lift so heavy and get physical therapy and prescribed me anti-inflamatories..

                            have you ever delt with anyone with this? will the anti-inflamatories inhibit muscle growth?

                            Comment


                            • there is evidence that anti-inflamms inhibit muscle growth, and then there is evidence they promote growth, so I have no idea.

                              tendonitis is pretty common, ice it, go lighter for a few weeks, should feel better
                              BioLayne LLC
                              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gangsta1087 View Post
                                when do test start to drop and do u think one can benifit from from have carbs and no fats or fats and no carbs when dieting or is it best to cycle both methods when dieting down

                                for example u diet like u would usually do one week than the next week u diet like Marc Lobliner
                                not sure i understand your question
                                BioLayne LLC
                                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X