Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical question.
    a) A 200 pound guy gained 50 pounds over a year and then dieted for a show.
    b) A 200 pound guy gained 50 pounds and maintained that weight for 6-12 months and then dieted for a show.
    Who would retain more muscle at the end of the diet.
    Thanks

Comment

• impossible to know based on only that information, but more likely B
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Layne, if you've answered this question already somewhere in the thread I apologize for re-hashing it, but what type of cardio do you feel is the most muscle-sparing?.......long, slow duration cardio or short(15 minute) high-intensity cardio, where the trainee drinks a protein shake both before and after the session?

Comment

• I'm pretty certain Layne advocates high-intensity cardio.
          It's not that I'm lazy; it's that I just don't care.

Comment

• Hey whats up layne? Got a nutrition question for you. I see alot of people now supplementing with evening primerose oil for the gamma-linolenic acid, I always thought that the typical diet was high in omega 6's already and was not needed to be supplemented with. i always read that too many omega 6's will cause pro-inflamatory effects. I may be wrong but is it kinda pointless to supplement with the stuff? correct me if i'm wrong just not sure what the craze is about?

Comment

• Hey Layne. What are your thoughts on hydrolyzed whey? I know you spoke of taking BCAAs over getting them from whey protein because free form BCAAs spike plasma levels quicker than whey does. But what about hydrolyzed whey? Wouldn't this be just as effective since it's already pre-digested and can essentially bypass the the digestive process? I hear about the superior absorption kinetics and bioavailability often of hydrolyzed whey, so I often wonder why more people don't consume it? Is it not all it's cracked up to be?

Comment

• Layne, I was watching one of your youtube videos of you doing GHR. You were using a flat bench against a pull-down machine.

Since I don't have a GHR bench at my gym, I've tried doing them this way. However, it really hurts my knees on the way down. My knee caps get pushed back/up into my knee and its very uncomfortable.

Is there anything in particular, positioning wise, you do to avoid this, or does it just not bother you?

Thanks!
                Jeff Rodriguez
                www.jrodfitness.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jrod View Post
                  Layne, I was watching one of your youtube videos of you doing GHR. You were using a flat bench against a pull-down machine.

Since I don't have a GHR bench at my gym, I've tried doing them this way. However, it really hurts my knees on the way down. My knee caps get pushed back/up into my knee and its very uncomfortable.

Is there anything in particular, positioning wise, you do to avoid this, or does it just not bother you?

Thanks!

Jrod thats actually a great question, because I did them during this last contest prep and got great results from them, but felt the same pain in my knees, after I'm done with a set the pain becomes even worst from my upper chin to my knees, I just ignore it and keep doing them, but always wondered about this. I'm curious to see what Layne says
                  Romer "The Dominican Rock" Mendez

Comment

• Originally posted by JREDS View Post
                    Hey whats up layne? Got a nutrition question for you. I see alot of people now supplementing with evening primerose oil for the gamma-linolenic acid, I always thought that the typical diet was high in omega 6's already and was not needed to be supplemented with. i always read that too many omega 6's will cause pro-inflamatory effects. I may be wrong but is it kinda pointless to supplement with the stuff? correct me if i'm wrong just not sure what the craze is about?
                    I will be upfront and say I am far from a Fatty acid expert, but yes, omega 6s should not be a problem if you are eating meat in your diet and eggs. Omega 3s are typically what is low in a western diet
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Strikerrjones View Post
                      I'm pretty certain Layne advocates high-intensity cardio.
                      correct sir
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by the_genetic_freak View Post
                        Hey Layne. What are your thoughts on hydrolyzed whey? I know you spoke of taking BCAAs over getting them from whey protein because free form BCAAs spike plasma levels quicker than whey does. But what about hydrolyzed whey? Wouldn't this be just as effective since it's already pre-digested and can essentially bypass the the digestive process? I hear about the superior absorption kinetics and bioavailability often of hydrolyzed whey, so I often wonder why more people don't consume it? Is it not all it's cracked up to be?
                        not really enough research done on the kinetics of absorption of hydrolyzed whey to know. But what I do know is a dose of free form BCAA spikes plasma levels of BCAA about 5-10x higher than what a similar dose of BCAA from whey does

-Layne
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by jrod View Post
                          Layne, I was watching one of your youtube videos of you doing GHR. You were using a flat bench against a pull-down machine.

Thanks!
                          have you tried playing with your knee position on the bench? moved them further up or further back? Might also try putting a folded towel under your knees and see if that helps.

-Layne
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Hey Layne,
                            I have been trying to bring up my back a little more and most people tell me I need to add barbell rows to my routine.
                            Problem is, I always get a pain in my lower back (which I have pulled out a few times) when I do the movement... so I'm hesitant to do this excersize, at least with a good amount of weight.

Basically, are there any good alternatives? I don't want my back development to suffer because of this one excersize.
                            Right now my routine is something like this:

Deadlifts- 4 sets
                            Lat Pulldowns- 4 sets
                            T-bar Row- 4 sets
                            Cable Rows- 4 sets
                            Dumbell Rows- 4 sets

Any help much appreciated!
                            Thanks.

Comment

• if it hurts i would not do it.

rack chins + dumbbell rows while bracing your upper body against an incline bench = good back exercises w/minimal stress on lower back
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                                if it hurts i would not do it.

rack chins + dumbbell rows while bracing your upper body against an incline bench = good back exercises w/minimal stress on lower back

Alright I'll give that a try.
                                Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X