Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    not really enough research done on the kinetics of absorption of hydrolyzed whey to know. But what I do know is a dose of free form BCAA spikes plasma levels of BCAA about 5-10x higher than what a similar dose of BCAA from whey does

-Layne
    Ok, thanks. This 5-10x higher spike in plasma levels of BCAA translates into what overall? Increased protein synthesis & lower catabolism?

Comment

• Hey Layne,

First off, Awesome thread. I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for your time and effort. We all know your very busy, and yet you still make time to answer our questions thoroughly and honestly.

I've put more focus on my diet in regards to essential fatty acids and "good fats". One of my supplements is flax seed oil caps. I take three grams in total throughout the day. one in the morning, afternoon, and night. My question is, do you think this is going to effect my estrogen levels? I've heard some negative stuff about taking flax for men. Do you think I should get rid of it completely? Or do you think the amount im taking is ok?

Thank you

P.S. Love the DVD!

Comment

• Hey Layne,

My question is academic-related. I'm currently in the process of applying to graduate school to start work on a Masters, and eventually a PhD, in Nutritional Science. What kind of plan did you follow to get where you are today academically, and do you have any advice or suggestions for someone as myself who is following a similar path?

Thanks!

Comment

• Layne, I asked Tim Martin this same question in his thread I would just like your opinion on this. How often do you vary the exercises you do?

Comment

• Dont have a question just wanted to commend layne for answering my e-mails and always giving extremely helpful and intuitive responses. One reason bodybuilding is such a great sport is accomplished competitors like layne still take time to help out their fans

Comment

• layne , what do you think about this product RADOX by syntrax , http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/radox.html

Does it look over dosed?

Comment

• Layne,

I understand the importance of Leucine supplementation. My quesiton is, aside from cost is there any advantage or any difference to supplementing 5g of free form Leucine as a stand alone supplement as compared to supplementing 5g of Leucine in a free form BCAA mix?

Sorry it has been asked before but in the last 30 or so pages since I started following this thread I do not remember reading this.

Thank you.

Comment

• Layne,

Taking a graduate level course in exercise endocrinology. We just covered the thyroid gland and the associated hormones. After reading into the workings of this particular system I am very very curiouse to know how it is that refeeds work to kickstart t3/t4 levels?

I am aware that over 95% of circulating hormone is t4 and the rest is t3, perhaps even less then 5% actually. I read that thyroglobulin is 10% carbohydrate which lead me to think that with chronicly low carb intake you may very well be reducing your ability to organify iodine? This notion is based on the premise that it is carbohydrate availability that kickstarts thyroid function, not insulin so much.

An alternative hypothesis is that because t3 acts at the tissue through a nuclear binding receptor, then moving into the TRE (thyroid response element) on DNA as either a monomoer, homodimer or heteromer. The heteromer version could bind one receptor of the TH and one from another nuclear receptor (typicaly retenoic acid) but perhaps also initiated by insulin binding at the same tissue and acting on the same HRE?

Can you clear this up for me or just explain to me how this works? You said that carbs is the prime substrate for refeed physiological functionality vs fats which makes since since it is carbs that also kickstart leptin levels back up albeit transiently.
                  MS - Human Sport Performance
                  NSCA - CPT, CSCS

Comment

• Layne, I see plenty of natural organisations listed throughout the forums, but hear very little about the INBA Olympia competition, likewise the INBA Universe. Over here is Aus, INBA is pretty well pushed as the number one natural event Nationwide, with the INBA Olympia the follow on comp after the Nationals. This year the INBA Olympia was held in the US, but I never see it get a mention. Over in the US is this comp promoted under an affiliate org? Or does it just not get a rating?

Comment

• hey, for the past couple of days. (just started recently, never experienced it before) My urine has had an odd smell of rubber. I'm not eating asparagus, but it's the same kind of smell I get when I do eat asparagus. It's not every time I pee, just a couple times in the past couple of days. (I pee about 10 times a day lol) Could this be supplements? glutamine? beta alanine? ALA's? chromium? I just got my kidneys checked and all was good. So what could this be caused from? please help if you may know.
                      Live Every Moment To The Fullest, Cause In A Second It Will Be Gone

Comment

• Originally posted by JetFingerBoy View Post
                        hey, for the past couple of days. (just started recently, never experienced it before) My urine has had an odd smell of rubber. I'm not eating asparagus, but it's the same kind of smell I get when I do eat asparagus. It's not every time I pee, just a couple times in the past couple of days. (I pee about 10 times a day lol) Could this be supplements? glutamine? beta alanine? ALA's? chromium? I just got my kidneys checked and all was good. So what could this be caused from? please help if you may know.
                        ALA will make your urine smell for sure

Comment

• Originally posted by TITO72 View Post
                          Layne, I see plenty of natural organisations listed throughout the forums, but hear very little about the INBA Olympia competition, likewise the INBA Universe. Over here is Aus, INBA is pretty well pushed as the number one natural event Nationwide, with the INBA Olympia the follow on comp after the Nationals. This year the INBA Olympia was held in the US, but I never see it get a mention. Over in the US is this comp promoted under an affiliate org? Or does it just not get a rating?
                          Honestly In my dealings with them and what i've seen from them it's somewhat of a fly by night organization. I'm not sure if it's the same in austrailia though
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• some pics from friday's workout:

Isabel Pressing with 5 plates on each side of the leg press!

BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Looking good, Layne. How's that pec coming along?

Comment

• good thanks! up to 45 lb dumbells for 20 reps for 3 sets
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X