Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    stringy? sounds like it just means you need more overall muscle.

the protein explaination is BS
    i thought so! thanks for the reply
    day and night

Comment

• I finally got to your muscle protein synthesis seminar slides, Layne. Any closer to what negatively feeds back and gives a refractory period for protein synthesis?

Let me ask you: Do folks use any in vitro muscle preps to try to answer this? Like electrical stimulation followed by tracer work? I would love to see if a chronic in vitro prep exhibited the same thing.

that would rule out the plethora of systemic signalling factors that could be involved, and allow one to dissect precisely what is involved.

Comment

• hey doc,
        we don't do any in vitro or in situ work... we are all in vivo. WE try to be molecular but still keep every one of our studies physiological and 'real world' applicable
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          hey doc,
          we don't do any in vitro or in situ work... we are all in vivo. WE try to be molecular but still keep every one of our studies physiological and 'real world' applicable
          That's great, but an in vitro system would probably make it easier to tear appart the dynamics and factors involved in the inhibitory process; however, as you suggest you would have to go back an validate it in a whole animal.

Who knows if you can even reconstitue the whole process in vitro, though. It could take a long time just to establish the model.

Comment

• exactly... as much as I'd love to look at all that stuff... I've been in grad school for 4.5 years. I'd like to get out before I hit 30 LOL
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Does Isabelle have a link? Is she competing in BB or figure?

Comment

• here ya go http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/aloha_izzie/

she will be doing figure
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• whats up layne? im majoring in nutrition do you have a any intresting recomended reading?
                  -IRON MAN ATHLETICS
                  -HARDCORE/PROFROMANCE WEAR
                  -COMING EARLY SEPT

Comment

• not really, honestly most stuff I didn't learn from a book. I learned by reading a bunch of studies and random conversations with professors.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com has great info
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Since flexing a muscle is caused by electricity, when will it be possible to build muscle just by shocking the muscle?
                      Trueprotein.com 5% Discount code- KEM010

Comment

• Hello Layne, I would like ask a question regarding glutamine.

I know the controversies with it, but I like it with high dosis following keto diet (Iím meso), but when I use high dosis, I retain too much water under skin, and Iím bloated suddenly (holding water).

Do you know what the cause is? Iíve been researching and there is a possibility with the reabsorption of sodium, expansion of extracellular fluid and reabsorption of water in renal tubules.

Can I improve this situation, taking extra potassium?

When I have a large cheat meal once a week, and one meal, day after Iím holding too much water. Do you recommend drink a lot of water after cheat meal?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Youngguns View Post
                          Since flexing a muscle is caused by electricity, when will it be possible to build muscle just by shocking the muscle?
                          flexing a muscle is caused by electricity,but simply flexing is not sufficient to induce growth, you have to cause fiber damage and that is via overload
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• haha i read that arnold had to start flexing with his left bicep only because during photoshoots he would only flex his right and it was growing.

Comment

• Layne,

Do you ever increase someone's calories during contest prep if they stop responding and begin to horde fat? Or do you always gradually cut calories & increase cardio concurrently ?

Have you ever used increasing someones calories (maybe from protein?) to kick start a metabolism during dieting? Thanks!
                              It's eat time!

Comment

• kickstarting metabolism is the job of refeeds done primarily by a shot/boost of carbohydrates in one day or in a given time period. leptin won't be enhanced with increasing calories from protein, fat, or fiber as much as carbs

Comment

Working...
                                X